A scalable and highly accurate RF symmetrical inductor model (with model error of less than 5%) has been developed from more than 100 test structures, enabling device performance versus layout size trade-offs and optimization up to 10 GHz. Large conductor width designs are found to yield good performance for inductors with small inductance values. However, as inductance or frequency increases, interactions between metallization resistive and substrate losses render the use of large widths unfavorable as they consume silicon area and degrade device performance. These findings are particularly important when exploiting the cost-effective silicon-based RF technologies for applications with operating frequencies greater than 2.5 GHz.
Choon Beng Sia,
Wei Meng Lim,
Beng Hwee Ong,
Ah Fatt Tong,
Kiat Seng Yeo,
"Modeling and Layout Optimization Techniques for Silicon-Based Symmetrical Spiral Inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 1-18, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13082001
1. Richelli, A., L. Mensi, L. Colalongo, P. L. Rolandi, and Z. M. Kovacs-Vajna, "A 1.2-to-8V charge-pump with improved power efficiency for non-volatille memories," Proc. Solid-State Circuits Conference, 2007.
2. Richelli, A., S. Comensoli, and Z. M. Kovacs-Vajna, "A DC/DC boosting technique and power management for ultralow-voltage energy harvesting applications," IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2701-2708, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TIE.2011.2167890
3. Cao, Y., R. A. Groves, X. J. Huang, N. D. Zamdmer, J. O. Plouchart, R. A. Wachnik, T. J. King, and C. Hu, "Frequency-independent equivalent-circuit model for on-chip spiral inductors," IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 3, 419, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2002.808285
4. Chen, J. and J. J. Liou, "Improved and physics-based model for symmetrical spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 53, No. 6, 1300-1309, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/TED.2006.874089
5. Huo, X., P. C. H. Chan, K. J. Chen, and H. C. Luong, "A physical model for on-chip spiral inductors with accurate substrate modeling," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 53, No. 12, 2942-2949, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/TED.2006.885091
6. Gao, W. and Z. Yu, "Scalable compact circuit model and synthesis for RF CMOS spiral inductors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 3, 1055-1064, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.864134
7. Huang, F., J. Lu, N. Jiang, X. Zhang, W. Wu, and Y. Wang, "Frequency-independent asymmetric double-¼ equivalent circuit for on-chip spiral inductors: Physics-based modeling and parameter extraction," IEEE J. of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2272-2283, Oct. 2006. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2006.881574
8. Mandal, S. K., S. Sural, and A. Patra, "ANN- and PSO-based synthesis of on-chip spiral inductors for RF ICs," IEEE Trans. Computer-aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, Vol. 27, No. 1, 188-192, Jan. 2008. doi:10.1109/TCAD.2007.907284
9. Sia, C. B., B. H. Ong, K. W. Chan, K. S. Yeo, J. G. Ma, and M. A. Do, "Physical layout design optimization of integrated spiral inductors for Silicon-based RFIC applications," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 12, 2559-2567, Dec. 2005. doi:10.1109/TED.2005.859638
10. Sia, C. B., B. H. Ong, W. M. Lim, K. S. Yeo, and T. Alam, "Modeling and layout optimization of differential inductors for silicon-based RFIC applications," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1058-1066, Apr. 2008. doi:10.1109/TED.2008.917536
11. Post, J. E., "Optimizing the design of spiral inductors on silicon," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. II, Vol. 47, No. 1, 15-17, Jan. 2000. doi:10.1109/82.818889
12. Xiong, X. Z., V. F. Fusco, and B. Toner, "Optimized design of spiral inductors for Si RF IC's," Proc. High Frequency Postgraduate Student Colloquium, 51-58, Sep. 2000.
13. Wang, T., Y. Wang, M. Cao, and K. S. Chen, "A novel technique fast optimizing the layout parameters of planar spiral inductor," Proc. 5th Intl. Conf. on ASIC, Vol. 1, 302-305, Oct. 2003.
14. Zhan, Y. and S. S. Sapatnekar, "Optimization of integrated spiral inductors using sequential quadratic programming," Proc. Conf. on Design, Automation and Test in Europe Conference and Exhibition , Vol. 1, 622-627, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/DATE.2004.1268914