To cope with the energy shortage and the rising cost of the fossil fuel, many wind farms are being constructed under the supervision of Korean government along the coasts of Korean peninsula to generate clean and renewable energy. However, construction of these wind farms may cause negative effect on various L-band radars in operation. This paper presents the result of the micro-Doppler (MD) analysis of the influence of the wind turbine on the L-band radar using the point scatterer model and the radar cross section of the real turbine predicted by the method of physical optics. The simulation results obtained at three observation angles show that the range of MD occupies a considerable portion of the helicopter MD range, and thus, the operations using helicopters need to be avoided in the wind farm region, and additional radars are required for the recognition of helicopter-like objects.
"Micro-Doppler Analysis of Korean Offshore Wind Turbine on the L-Band Radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 87-104, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13090401
1. Park, S.-H., M.-G. Joo, and K.-T. Kim, "Construction of ISAR training database for automatic target recognition," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11--12, 1493-1503, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797164909
2. Potter, L. C., D. M. Chiang, R. Carriere, and M. J. Gerry, "A GTD-based parametric model for radar scattering," IEEE Transations on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 10, 1058-1067, Oct. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.467641
3. Mahafza, B. R., "Radar Systems Analysis and Design Using MATLAB," Chapman & Hall/CRC, 2000.
4. Jung, J.-H and S.-H. Park, "Effcient classification of low-resolution range profiles of automobiles using a combination of useful features," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 373-387, 2013.
5. Park, S.-H., "Automatic recognition of targets in formation using range profies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14--15, 2059-2069, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.724769
6. Park, S.-H., J.-I. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Motion Compensation for squint mode spotlight SAR imaging using effcient 2D interpolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
7. Park, S.-H., J.-H. Lee, and K.-T. Kim, "Performance analysis of the scenario-based construction method for real target ISAR recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 137-151, 2012.
8. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data, Artech House, 2005.
9. Skolnik, M., Introduction to Radar Systems, McGRAW-Hill, 2001.
10. Qian, S., Introduction to Time-frequency and Wavelet Transforms, Prentice Hall, 2001.
11. Qian, S. and D. Chen, Joint Time-frequency Analysis, Prentice Hall, 1998.
12. Chen, V. C., The Micro-Doppler Effect in Radar, Artech House, 2011.
13. Gao, H., L. Xie, S. Wen and Y. Kuang, "Micro-Doppler signature extraction from ballistic target with micro-motions," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 4, 1969-1982, Oct. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAES.2010.5595607
14. Park, S.-H., K.-K. Park, J.-H. Jung, H.-T. Kim, and K.-T. Kim, "Construction of training database based on high frequency RCS prediction method for ATR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 5--6, 693-703, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784159390
15. Klement, D., J. Preissner, and V. Stein, "Special problems in applying the physical optics method for backscatter computations of complicated objects," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 2, 228-237, Feb. 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1100