This paper presents a novel formulation for the modeling of electromagnetic wave propagation in pillar-type photonic crystal waveguide devices. The structure under consideration is formed in an innitely extended pillar-type photonic crystal and the wave propagation is controlled by removing some cylinders from the original periodic structure. The structure is considered as cascade connections of straight waveguides, and the input/output properties of the devices are obtained using an analysis method of multilayer structure. Each layer includes periodic circular cylinder array with defects, and the transfer-matrix is obtained by using a spectral-domain approach based on the recursive transition-matrix algorithm with the lattice sums technique and the pseudo-periodic Fourier transform.
"Spectral-Domain Formulation of Pillar-Type Photonic Crystal Waveguide Devices of Infinite Extent," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 447-461, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13101404
1. Koshiba, M., Y. Tsuji, and M. Hikari, "Time-domain beam propagation method and its application to photonic crystal circuits," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 18, No. 1, 102-110, 2000. doi:10.1109/50.818913
2. Taflove, A., Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 1995.
3. Benisty, H., "Modal analysis of optical guides with two-dimensional photonic band-gap boundaries," J. Appl. Phys. , Vol. 79, No. 10, 7483-7492, 1996. doi:10.1063/1.362419
4. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic, "Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light," Princeton Univ. Press, 1995.
5. Tanaka, H., T. Yamasaki, and T. Hosono, "Propagation characteristics of dielectric waveguides with slanted grating structure ," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E77-C, No. 11, 1820-1827, 1994.
6. Yasumoto, K., H. Jia, and S. Kai, "Rigorous analysis of two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguides," Proc. URSI Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Theory, 739-741, 2004.
7. Jia, H. and K. Yasumoto, "Modal analysis of two-dimensional photonic-crystal waveguides formed by rectangular cylinders using an improved Fourier series method," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 2, 564-571, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.862712
8. Li, L., "Formulation and comparison of two recursive matrix algorithms for modeling layered diffraction gratings," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 13, No. 5, 1024-1035, 1996. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.13.001024
9. Hosono, T., T. Hinata, and A. Inoue, "Numerical analysis of the discontinuities in slab dielectric waveguides," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, No. 1, 75-83, 1982. doi:10.1029/RS017i001p00075
10. Yamakita, J., , K. Matsumoto, and K. Rokushima, "Analysis of discontinuities in anisotropic dielectric waveguides," IEICE Technical Report, EMT-93-87, 1993.
11. Yasumoto, K., T. Miyamoto, and M. Momoda, "Full-wave analysis of optical waveguides using periodic boundary conditions," Proc. SPIE, Vol. 3666, 170-176, 1999. doi:10.1117/12.347918
12. Li, Z. Y. and K. M. Ho, "Light propagation in semi-infinite photonic crystal and related waveguide structures," Physical Review B, Vol. 68, 155101, 2003. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.68.155101
13. Watanabe, K. and K. Yasumoto, "Accuracy improvement of the Fourier series expansion method for Floquet-mode analysis of photonic crystal waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 209-222, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032704
14. Yasumoto, K. and H. Toyama, "Formulation for electromagnetic scattering and guidance by two-dimensional photonic crystals," IEICE Technical Report, OPE2001-93, 2001.
15. Yasumoto, K. and K. Watanabe, "Analysis of discontinuities in two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguides using Floquet modes concept ," Int. J. Microwave and Opt. Technol., Vol. 3, No. 3, 397-403, 2008.
16. Nakatake, Y. and K. Watanabe, "Numerical analysis of two-dimensional photonic crystal waveguide devices using periodic boundary conditions," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E94-C, No. 1, 32-38, 2011. doi:10.1587/transele.E94.C.32
17. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
18. Watanabe, K. and K. Yasumoto, "Two-dimensional electromag-netic scattering of non-plane incident waves by periodic structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 241-271, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07050902
19. Watanabe, K., Y. Nakatake, and J. Pistora, "Accurate analysis of electromagnetic scattering from periodic circular cylinder array with defects ," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 10, 10646-10657, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.010646