In this paper, a novel forward-looking imaging method based on the compressed sensing is proposed for scanning phased array radar (PAR) in order to improve the azimuth resolution,. Firstly, the echo of targets is modeled according to the principle of PAR. Then, it is analyzed why some of the former methods as multi-channel deconvolution are ineffective based on the signal model. Using a widely accepted assumption that dominant scatterers in an interesting area are sparse or compressible, an imaging algorithm based on the compressed sensing is proposed and investigated. This method obtains its high range resolution by transmitting and compressing chirp pulse signal, and improves its azimuth resolution by utilizing the compressed sensing technique. The effectiveness of the proposed method is illustrated and analyzed with simulations data.
"Forward-Looking Imaging of Scanning Phased Array Radar Based on the Compressed Sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 143, 575-604, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13101804
1. Berens, Dr., P., "Introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Advanced Radar Signal and Data Processing, 2006.
2. Ouchi, K., "Recent trend and advance of synthetic aperture radar with selected topics," Remote Sensing, No. 5, 716-807, 2013. doi:10.3390/rs5020716
3. Sun, J. P., et al., "A novel spaceborne SAR wide-swath imaging approach based on poisson disk-like nonuniform sampling and compressive sensing ," Science China, Vol. 55, No. 8, 1876-1887, August 2012.
4. Palash, J. and K. R. Sarma, "Azimuth triangulation method for forward looking synthetic aperture radar," International Journal on Recent and Innovation Trends in Computing and Communication, Vol. 1, No. 3, 106-109, March 2013.
5. An, D. X., et al., "Extended nonlinear chirp scaling algorithm for high-resolution highly squint SAR data focusing ," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 9, 3595-3609, Sept. 2012. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2012.2183606
6. Nam, S., J. S. Lee, and J. S. Ha, "Antenna aperture design scheme for the bistatic forward looking SAR application," IEEE the 3rd International Asia-Paci¯c Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar (APSAR), 1-4, Sept. 2011.
7. Witte, F., T. Sutor, and R. Scheunemann, "A new sector imaging radar for enhanced vision --- SIREV," Proceedings of the SPIE Conference in Enhanced and Synthetic Vision, Vol. 3364, 115-122, April 1998.
8. Sutor, T., et al., "Sector imaging radar for enhanced vision (SIREV): Theory and applications," Proceedings of SPIE in Enhanced and Synthetic Vision, Vol. 4023, 292-297, June 2000.
9. Mittermayer, J., et al., "Sector imaging radar for enhanced vision (SIREV): Simulation and processing techniques ," Proceedings of SPIE in Enhanced and Synthetic Vision , Vol. 4023, 298-305, June 2000.
10. Krieger, G., J. Mittermayer, M. Wendler, et l., and , "SIREV-sector imaging radar for enhanced vision," Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium in Image and Signal Processing and Analysis , 377-382, 2001.
11. Ren, X. Z., J. T. Sun, and R. L. Yang, "A new three-dimensional imaging algorithm for airborne forward-looking SAR," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., Vol. 8, No. 1, 153-157, January 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2055035
12. Purik, D., et al., "2D frequency domain imaging algorithms for forward looking array radar," Proceedings of the 9th European Radar Conference, 22-25, October 2012.
13. Mahafza, B. R., D. L. Knight, and N. F. Audeh, "Forward-looking SAR imaging using a linear array with transverse motion," IEEE Proceedings in Southeastcon, 4-7, April 1993.
14. Xiang, G., et al., "Airborne 3-D forward looking SAR imaging via chirp scaling algorithm," Geoscience and Remote Sensing IEEE International Symposium --- IGARSS, 3011-3014, July 2011.
15. Peng, X., W. Tan, Y. Wang, W. Hong, and Y. Wu, "Convolution back-projection imaging algorithm for downward-looking sparse linear array three dimensional synthetic aperture radar ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 287-313, 2012.
16. Sun, S. G., et al., "Forward-looking 3D imaging radar and method for acquiring 3D images using the same," US Patent Application, Patent No: US 8471759 B2, June 2013.
17. Zheng, Y. B., S.-M. Tseng, and K.-B. Yu, "Closed-form four-channel monopulse two-target resolution," IEEE Trans. on Aero. Elec. Syst., Vol. 39, No. 3, 1083-1089, July 2003. doi:10.1109/TAES.2003.1238760
18. Stimson, G. W., Introduction to Airborne Radar, SciTech Pub., 1998.
19. Liu, G. Q., et al., "Range and azimuth resolution enhancement for 94 GHz real-beam radar," Proceedings of SPIE on Radar Sensor Technology XII, Vol. 6947, 1-9, 2008.
20. Bouchard, C. , D. Grenier, and Dr., "ISAR imaging radar with time-domain high-range resolution algorithms and array antenna," Laboratoire de Radiocommunications et de Traitement du Signal, 1997.
21. Deng, W. B. and Z. Bao, "Radar imaging based on rotating antenna," 1988 International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, ICASSP-88, Vol. 2, 1196-1199, April 1988.
22. Li, W., J. Yang, and Y. Huang, "Keystone transform-based space-variant range migration correction for airborne forward-looking scanning radar ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 2, 121-122, January 2012. doi:10.1049/el.2011.2774
23. Browne, K. E., R. J. Burkholder, and J. L. Volakis, "A novel low-pro¯le portable radar system for high resolution through-wall radar imaging ," 2010 IEEE Radar Conference, 333-338, May 2010. doi:10.1109/RADAR.2010.5494602
24. Berenstein, C. A. and E. V. Partick, "Exact deconvolution for multiple convolution operators --- An overview, plus performance characterizations for imaging sensors," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 78, No. 4, 723-734, April 1990. doi:10.1109/5.54810
25. Richards, M. A., "Iterative noncoherent angular superresolution," Proceedings of the 1988 IEEE National Radar Conference, 100-105, April 1988. doi:10.1109/NRC.1988.10940
26. Suwa, K. and M. Iwamoto, "Forward looking radar imaging method using multiple receiver antennas and digital beam forming technique ," Proceedings. 2005 IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS'05, Vol. 6, 4041-4044, July 2005. doi:10.1109/IGARSS.2005.1525801
27. Ruggiano, M., E. Stolp, and V. Genderen, "Improvement of target resolution in azimuth by LMMSE technique," 2009 European Radar Conference, 230-233, Sept 2009.
28. McIntosh, J. C., A. Kennedy, and C. Clary, "Scanned time/angle correlation: A new method for super-resolution," Proceedings of SPIE on Algorithms for Synthetic Aperture Radar Imagery XII, Vol. 5808, 95-101, 2005. doi:10.1117/12.604087
29. Sun, J., Sun, J., S. Mao, and G. Wang, "Polar format algorithm for spotlight bistatic SAR with arbitrary geometry configuration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 323-338, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10030703
30. Wu, J., Z. Li, Y. Huang, Q. H. Liu, and J. Yang, "Processing one-stationary bistatic SAR data using inverse scaled fourier transform ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 143-159, 2012.
31. Espeter, T., et al., "Bistatic forward-looking SAR: Results of a spaceborne-airborne experiment," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., Vol. 8, No. 4, 765-768, July 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2011.2108635
32. Wu, J. J., et al., "Focusing bistatic forward-looking SAR with stationary transmitter based on keystone transform and nonlinear chirp scaling ," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., No. 99, May 2013.
33. Li, W. C., et al., "An improved radon-transform-based scheme of doppler centroid estimation for bistatic forward-looking SAR ," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., Vol. 8, No. 2, 379-383, March 2011. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2010.2078485
34. Shin, H.-S. and J.-T. Lim, "Omega-k algorithm for airborne forward-looking bistatic spotlight SAR imaging," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., Vol. 6, No. 2, 312-316, April 2009. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2008.2011924
35. Walterscheid, I., et al., "Potential and limitations of forward-looking bistatic SAR," 2010 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS), 216-219, July 2010. doi:10.1109/IGARSS.2010.5653210
36. Walterscheid, I., Walterscheid, I., A. R. Brenner, and J. Klare, "Radar imaging with very low grazing angles in a bistatic forward-looking configuration ," 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS) , 327-330, July 2012. doi:10.1109/IGARSS.2012.6351571
37. Qiu, D. H. Hu, and C. B. Ding, Qiu, X. L., D. H. Hu, and C. B. Ding, "Some reflections on bistatic SAR of forward-looking configuration," IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Letts., Vol. 5, No. 4, 735-739, October 2008. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2008.2004506
38. Nguyen, N., P. Milanfar, and G. Golub, "A computationally e±cient superresolution image reconstruction algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Image Proc., Vol. 10, No. 4, 573-583, April 2001. doi:10.1109/83.913592
39. Vogel, C. R. and M. E. Oman, "Fast, robust total variation-based reconstruction of noisy, blurred images," IEEE Trans. on Image Proc., Vol. 7, No. 6, 813-824, June 1998. doi:10.1109/83.679423
40. Candµes, E. J. and M. B. Wakin, "An introduction to compressive sampling," IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 2, 21-30, March 2008. doi:10.1109/MSP.2007.914731
41. Patel, V. M., et al., "Compressed synthetic aperture radar," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 2, 244-254, April 2010. doi:10.1109/JSTSP.2009.2039181
42. Fang, J., et al., "Fast compressed sensing SAR imaging based on approximated observation," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing , No. 99, 1-12, May 2013. doi:10.1109/JSTARS.2013.2263309
43. Alonson, M. T., P. Lopez-Dekker, and J. J. Mallorqui, "A novel strategy for radar imaging based on compressive sensing," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 12, 4285-4295, December 2012.
44. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, and X.-Y. Liu, "Pattern synthesis of planar antenna array via convex optimization for airborne forward looking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 1-10, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08060301