In this paper, frequency reconfigurable slot-patch antenna with reflector at the back of an antenna is presented. The proposed antenna consists of a microstrip patch antenna and a microstrip slot antenna where the slot antenna is positioned at the ground plane underneath the patch. Three switches are placed in the slot. The antenna is capable to reconfigure up to six different frequency bands from 1.7 GHz to 3.5 GHz. The microstrip patch antenna produces three different frequency bands with directional radiation pattern while the microstrip slot antenna produces another three frequency bands with bidirectional radiation pattern. Due to the reflector placed at the back of the antenna, the radiation pattern is directional at all frequency bands. Simulated and measured results are used to demonstrate the performance of the antenna. The simulated and measured reflection coefficients and radiation patterns are presented and compared.
1. Gardner, P., P. S. Hall, and J. Kelly, "Reconfigurable antennas for cognitive radio: Requirements and potential design approaches," Institution of Engineering and Technology Seminar on Wideband, Multiband Antennas and Arrays for Defence or Civil Applications , 89-94, 2008. doi:10.1049/ic:20080090
2. Haupt, R. L. and M. Lanagan, "Reconfigurable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 55, No. 1, 49-61, 2013. doi:10.1109/MAP.2013.6474484
3. DiFonzo, A., D. Karmel, and P. Atia, "Multiple shaped beam reconfigurable satellite antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 17, 457-460, 1979.
4. Capone, E. and R. Pelaca, "Advanced satellite multifeed reconfigurable antenna with very good cross-polar and scan performances," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 24, 723-725, 1986.
5. Chang, B. C. C., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A reconfigurable leaky mode/patch antenna controlled by PIN diode switches," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 2694-2697, 1999.
9. Pourziad, A., S. Nikmehr, and H. Veladi, "A novel multi-state integrated RF MEMS switch for reconfigurable antennas applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 389-406, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIER13012303
10. Madi, M. A., M. Al-Husseini, A. Ramadan, K. Y. Kabalan, and A. El-Hajj, "A reconfigurable cedar-shaped microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 209-221, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC11101204
11. Razali, A. R. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Reconfigurable coplanar inverted-F antenna with electronically controlled ground slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 63-76, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11072504
12. Xia, Y. Q., J. Luo, and D. J. Edwards, "Novel miniature printed monopole antenna with dual tunable band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1783-1793, 2010.
13. Hamzah, S. A., M. Esa, and M. K. H. Ismail, "Novel active reconfigurable fractal dipole antenna using RF PIN diodes," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 5-8, 2011.
14. Lai, M., T. W. J. Hsieh, and C. W. S. Jeng, "Design of reconfigurable antennas based on an L-shaped slot and PIN diodes for compact wireless devices," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 1, 47-54, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map:20080049
15. Erdil, E., K. Topalli, M. Unlu, O. A. Civi, and T. Akin, "Frequency tunable microstrip patch antenna using RF MEMS technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1193-1196, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.893426
16. Anagnortou, D., M. Khodier, J. C. Lyke, and C. G. Christadaulou, "Fractal antenna with RF MEMS switches for multiple frequency applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 22-25, 2002. doi:10.1109/APS.2002.1016019
17. AbuTarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, K. M. Nasr, S. W. Cheung, T. Peter, H. S. Al-Raweshidy, and D. Budimir, "Reconfigurable tri-band H-shaped antenna with frequency selectivity feature for compact wireless communication systems ," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 14, 1675-1682, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0518
18. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
19. Ruvio, G., M. Ammann, and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband reconfigurable rolled planar monopole antenna ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1760-1767, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.898575
20. Li, H., J. Xiong, Y. Yu, and S. He, "A simple compact reconfigurable slot antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3725-3728, 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2071347
21. Peroulis, D., K. Sarabandi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Design of reconfigurable slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 645-654, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.841339
22. Chen, K.-H., S.-J. Wu, C.-H. Kang, C.-K. Chan, and J.-H. Tarng, "A frequency reconfigurable slot antenna using PIN diodes," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, (APMC), 1930-1933, 2009.
23. Majid, H. A., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, N. A. Murad, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency-reconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 218-220, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2245293