The space-variant motion errors are specic to different targets and proportional to the beamwidth of a synthetic aperture radar (SAR) system, which makes them very difficult to be compensated for a SAR system with wide beamwidth. In this paper, a motion compensation (MoCo) algorithm that exploits the features of the geometry of near-range SAR applications is proposed. By dividing the whole range swath into several octave sub-swaths, the effects of space variant motion errors can be greatly reduced, especially for targets at nearer range, with low computational load.
1. Carrara, W. G., R. M. Majewski, and R. S. Goodman, Spotlight Synthetic Aperture Radar: Signal Processing Algorithms, , Artech House, 1995.
2. Mims, J. H. and J. L. Farrell, "Synthetic aperture imaging with maneuvers," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 4, No. 4, 410-418, 1972. doi:10.1109/TAES.1972.309538
3. Wu, H. and T. Zwick, "Automotive SAR for parking lot detection," Proc. of German Microwave Conference, GeMiC 2009, 1-8, 2009. doi:10.1109/GEMIC.2009.4815910
4. Moreira, A. and Y. Huang, "Airborne SAR processing of highly squinted data using a chirp scaling approach with integrated motion compensation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 32, No. 5, 1029-1040, 1994. doi:10.1109/36.312891
5. Goodman, R., S. Tummala, and W. Carrara, "Issues in ultra-wideband, widebeam SAR image formation ," Record of the IEEE 1995 International Radar Conference, 479-485, 1995.
6. Dominik, H., "Short range radar --- Status of UWB sensors and their applications," Proc. European Radar Conference, EuRAD 2007, , 251-254, 2007. doi:10.1109/EURAD.2007.4404984
7. Carrara, W. G., "Motion compensation algorithm for widebeam stripmap SAR," Proc. of SPIE, Vol. 2487, 13-23, 1995. doi:10.1117/12.210848
8. Potsis, A., A. Reigber, J. Mittermayer, A. Moreira, and N. Uzunoglou, "Sub-aperture algorithm for motion compensation improvement in wide-beam SAR data processing," Electronics Letters , Vol. 37, No. 23, 1405-1407, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010933
9. Zheng, X., W. Yu, and Z. Li, "Motion compensation for widebeam SAR based on frequency division," Journal of Electronics (China), Vol. 25, No. 5, 607-615, 2008. doi:10.1007/s11767-007-0029-9
10. DeMacedo, K. A. C. and R. Scheiber, "Precise topography- and aperture-dependent motion compensation for airborne SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 2, No. 2, 172-176, 2005. doi:10.1109/LGRS.2004.842465
11. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data: Algorithms and Implementation, Artech House, 2005.
12. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley-Interscience, 2007.
13. Soumekh, M., D. Nobles, M. Wicks, and G. Genello, "Signal processing of wide bandwidth and wide beamwidth P-3 SAR data," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 37, No. 4, 1122-1141, 2001. doi:10.1109/7.976954