The design of a novel low profile antenna is presented in this paper. By a cross-shaped structure shorted to the ground plane through shorting probes, the size reduction is achieved. A top-loading ring-disc is successfully employed to broaden the impedance bandwidth. Moreover, with the uniformly-arranged shorting pins and a circular sleeve structure placed on the ground, a good omnidirectional performance in the horizontal plane is obtained. An antenna prototype has been implemented and characterized. A measured impedance bandwidth for VSWR ≤ 2 of about 135% ranging from 1500 to 7800 MHz is achieved, and a monopole-like radiation pattern is also produced. The height of the proposed antenna is very low with 0.07λ tall. The proposed antenna is very suitable for indoor base station and the UWB applications.
7. Aten, D. W. and R. L. Haupt, "A wideband, low profile, shorted top hat monocone antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4485-4491, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207313
8. Guo, Y. X., M. Y. W. Chia, Z. N. Chen, and K. M. Luk, "Wide-band L-probe fed circular patch antenna for conical-pattern radiation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1115-1116, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823971
9. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, W.-J. Wu, J. Lei, and S.-X. Gong, "A wideband dual-sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 45 -48, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2108255
10. Lau, K. L. and K. M.Luk, "A wide-band monopolar wire-patch antenna for indoorbase station applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 155-157, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.847432
11. Tokumaru, S., "Multiplates: Low profile antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 379-382, 1976.
12. Gay-Balmaz, P., J.-F. ZÄurcher, and J. R. Mosig, "Analysis and measurement of QKA antennas ," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 460-463, 1997.
13. Cara, D. D., J. Trajkovikj, R. Torres-Sanchez, J.-F. ZÄurcher, and A. K. SkrivervikA, "A low profile UWB antenna for wearable applications: The tripod kettle antenna (TKA)," 2013 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 3156-3159, 2013.