A scattered radar signal by a jet engine inlet involves engine information of the target. The jet engine RCS due to the engine inlet is therefore significant in radar target recognition. Accordingly, several accurate analyses of the jet engine RCS have been reported. Reduction of the jet engine RCS is also required for stealth technology. We suggest a new approach for jet engine RCS reduction that involves the insertion of many small corrugations into the jet engine inlet. The proposed jet engine structure is assumed to be a circular waveguide cavity with many corrugations. The structure is analyzed by combining a mode matching technique with a scattering matrix analysis. The proposed closed-form RCS solutions of the corrugated engine structure are validated with a MoM simulation using FEKO. The proposed closed-form solution has numerical efficiency and rapid convergence. Using the characteristics of the solution, we simply apply a genetic algorithm (GA) to optimize the structure of the corrugations in terms of minimizing the RCS.
1. Bell, M. R. and R. A. Grubbs, "JEM modeling and measurement for radar target identification," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 73-87, Jan. 1993. doi:10.1109/7.249114
2. Anastassiu, H. T., "Electromagnetic scattering from simple jet engine models," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 3, 420-421, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.486313
3. Altintas, A., P. H. Pathak, and M.-C. Liang, "A selective modal scheme for the analysis of EM coupling into or radiation from large open-ended waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 36, No. 1, 84-96, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1077
4. Chan, K. K. and S. Wong, "Accurate RCS prediction of electrically large jet inlets and engines," IEEE International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 491, 253-256, 2003.
5. Chan, K. K., S. K. Wong, and E. S. Riseborough, "Radar cross section modeling and measurements of inlets and cylinders with skew blades," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2930-2939, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.882153
6. Bourlier, C., H. He, J. Chauveau, R. Hemon, and P. Pouliguen, "RCS of large bent waveguide ducts from a modal analysis combined with the Kirchhoff approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 1-38, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08101708
7. Hao, L., R.-C. Chou, and S.-W. Lee, "Shooting and bouncing rays: Calculating the RCS of an arbitrarily shaped cavity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 2, 194-205, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18706
8. Lee, C. and S.-W. Lee, "RCS of a coated circular waveguide terminated by a perfect conductor," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 4, 391-398, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144114
9. Burkholder, R. J., "A fast and rapidly convergent iterative physical optics algorithm for computing the RCS of open-ended cavities," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 16, No. 1, 53-60, 2001.
10. Garcia-Pino, A., F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "Scattering from conducting open cavities by generalized ray expansion (GRE)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 7, 989-992, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.237634
11. Anastassiu, H. T., J. L. Volakis, and D. S. Filipovic, "Integral equation modeling of cylindrically periodic scatterers in the interior of a cylindrical waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 11, 1713-1720, 1998. doi:10.1109/22.734568
12. Barka, A. and N. Douchin, "Asymptotic simplifications for hybrid BEM/GO/PO/PTD techniques based on a Generalized Scattering Matrix approach," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 183, No. 9, 1928-1936, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.cpc.2012.04.015
13. Kusiek, A. and J.Mazur, "Analysis of scattering from arbitrary configuration of cylindrical objects using hybrid finite-difference mode-matching method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 105-127, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09072804
14. Lim, H. and N.-H. Myung, "A novel hybrid AIPO-MoM technique for jet engine modulation analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 85-97, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10033103
15. Chou, R.-C. and S.-W. Lee, "Modal attenuation in multilayered coated waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 36, No. 7, 1167-1176, 1988. doi:10.1109/22.3652
16. Mosallaei, H. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "RCS reduction of canonical targets using genetic algorithm synthesized RAM," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 48, No. 10, 1594-1606, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.899676
17. Chen, H. T., G.-Q. Zhu, and .-Y. He, "Using genetic algorithm to reduce the radar cross section of three-dimensional anisotropic impedance object," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 231-248, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08080202
18. Lee, H. S. and H. J. Eom, "Electromagnetic scattering from a thick circular aperture," IEEE Transactions on Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 3, 228-231, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10728
19. Lee, H. S. and H. J. Eom, "Scattering from a cylindrical waveguide with rectangular corrugations," EEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, No. 2, 315-320, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.903091
20. Eleftheriades, G. V., "Some important properties of waveguide junction generalized scattering matrices in the context of the mode matching technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 10, 1896-1903, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.320771
21. Park, Y. B. and H. J. Eom, "Electromagnetic transmission through multiple circular apertures in a thick conducting plane," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1049-1055, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825679
22. Shampine, L. F., "Vectorized Adaptive Quadrature in MATLAB," Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 211, 131-140, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.cam.2006.11.021