The asymptotic approach to the problem of high-frequency diffraction by elongated bodies is discussed in this work. The classical expansion is shown to require the frequencies to be too high for it to be applicable. Attempts to improve the approximating properties of the asymptotic methods are discussed. It is shown that effective approximations appear under the supposition that the squared transverse dimension of the body is proportional to its longitudinal size measured in wavelengths. This is referred to herein as the case of strongly elongated body and is examined in detail. It is assumed that the body has a rotational symmetry and can be well approximated by a spheroid. The cases of axial incidence and that of incidence at a grazing angle to the axis are considered. Both the asymptotics of the induced currents on the surface and of the far field amplitude are developed. Comparison with numerical results for a set of test problems shows that the leading terms of the new asymptotics provide good approximation in a uniform manner with respect to the rate of elongation. Some effects typical for scattering by elongated bodies are discussed.
4. Belkina, M. G. and L. A.Wainstein, "The characteristics of radiation of spherical surface antennas," Diffraction of Electromagnetic Waves by Some Bodies of Revolution, 57-125, Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow, 1957 (in Russian).
5. Belkina, M. G., "The characteristics of radiation of a prolate ellipsoid of revolution," Diffraction of Electromagnetic Waves by Some Bodies of Revolution, 126-147, Sovetskoe Radio, Moscow, 1957 (in Russian).
6. Hong, S., "Asymptotic theory of electromagnetic and acoustic diffraction by smooth convex surfaces of variable curvature," Journal of Mathematical Physics, Vol. 8, No. 6, 1223-1232, 1967. doi:10.1063/1.1705339
7. Ivanov, V. I., "Computation of corrections to the Fock asymptotics for the wave field near a circular cylinder and a sphere," J. of Soviet Mathematics, Vol. 20, No. 1, 1812-1817, 1982. doi:10.1007/BF01119363
8. Andronov, I. V., D. P. Bouche, and M. Duruflé, "High-frequency diffraction of plane electromagnetic wave by an elongated spheroid," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5286-5295, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207683
9. Senior, T. B. A., "Disk scattering at edge-on incidence," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 17, No. 6, 751-756, 1969. doi:10.1109/TAP.1969.1139532
10. Senior, T. B. A., "Loop excitation of traveling waves," Can. J. Phys., Vol. 40, 1736, 1962. doi:10.1139/p62-183
11. Bird, T. S., "Comparison of asymptotic solutions for the surface field excited by a magnetic dipole on a cylinder," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 32, No. 11, 1237-1244, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143243
12. Andronov, I. V. and D. Bouche, "Asymptotic of creeping waves on a strongly prolate body," Ann. Télécommun., Vol. 49, No. 3-4, 205-210, 1994.
13. Molinet, F., I. V. Andronov, and D. Bouche, Asymptotic and Hybrid Methods in Electromagnetics, IEE, London, 2005. doi:10.1049/PBEW051E
14. Engineer, J. C., J. R. King, and R. H. Tew, "Diffraction by slender bodies," Eur. J. Appl. Math., Vol. 9, No. 2, 129-158, 1998. doi:10.1017/S0956792598003441
15. Komarov, I. V., L. I. Ponomarev, and S. Y. Slavyanov, Spheroidal and Coulomb Spheroidal Functions, Nauka, Moscow, 1976 (in Russian).
16. Abramowitz, M. and I. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, National Bureau of Standards, New York, 1964.
17. Andronov, I. V., "The currents induced by a high-frequency wave incident at a small angle to the axis of strongly elongated spheroid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 28, 273-287, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM12120102
18. Thompson, I. J. and A. R. Barnett, "COULCC: A continued-fraction algorithm for Coulomb functions of complex order with complex arguments," Computer Physics Communications, Vol. 36, 363-372, 1985. doi:10.1016/0010-4655(85)90025-6
19. Andronov, I. V. and D. Bouche, "Forward and backward waves in high-frequency diffraction by an elongated spheroid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 209-231, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERB11021805
20. Fock, V. A., Electromagnetic Diffraction and Propagation Problems, (International Series of Monographs on Electromagnetic Waves), Chapter 3, Frankfurt, Pergamon Press, 1965.
21. Andronov, I. V., "High frequency asymptotics of electromagnetic field on a strongly elongated spheroid," PIERS Online, Vol. 5, No. 6, 536-540, 2009.
22. Stratton, J. A. and L. J. Chu, "Diffraction theory of electromagnetic waves," Phys. Review, Vol. 56, No. 1, 99-107, 1939. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.56.99
23. Andronov, I. V., "High-frequency acoustic scattering from prolate spheroids with high aspect ratio," Journal of the Acoustical Soc. Am., Vol. 134, No. 6, 4307-4316, 2013. doi:10.1121/1.4824677
24. Andronov, I. V. and D. A. Shevnin, "High-frequency scattering by perfectly conducting prolate spheroids," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 11, 1388-1396, 2014. doi:10.1080/09205071.2014.924882
25. Andronov, I. V., "Diffraction of spherical waves on large strongly elongated spheroids," Acta Acoustica United with Acoustica, Vol. 99, No. 2, 177-182, 2013. doi:10.3813/AAA.918600
26. Andronov, I. V., "Calculation of diffraction by strongly elongated bodies of revolution," Acoustical Physics, Vol. 58, No. 1, 22-29, 2012. doi:10.1134/S1063771012010022
27. Andronov, I. V. and D. Bouche, "Diffraction by a narrow circular cone as by a strongly elongated body," Journal of Mathematical Sciences, Vol. 185, No. 4, 517-522, 2012. doi:10.1007/s10958-012-0934-9
28. Andronov, I. V., "Diffraction by elliptic cylinder with strongly elongated cross-section," Acoustical Physics, Vol. 60, No. 3, 237-244, 2014. doi:10.1134/S1063771014030014
29. Andronov, I. V. and R. Mittra, "Asymptotic theory of diffraction by elongated bodies - From V. A. Fock to present," Forum for Electromagnetic Research Methods and Application Technologies (FERMAT), Vol. 2, 1-16, 2014.