The effect of users on the efficiency of mobile terminal antennas at 15 GHz, 28 GHz and 60 GHz is studied in this paper. It is performed using three four-element planar arrays. The first operates at 15 GHz with a bandwidth of 0.74 GHz, the second at 28 GHz with a bandwidth of 2.5 GHz and finally the third antenna at 60 GHz with bandwidth of 12.5 GHz. The effect of a user's finger is studied when being placed on four different locations over each antenna element, with six distances between the antenna and user's finger. The losses due to the increased shadowing are studied in terms of radiation efficiency (RE), matching efficiency (ME) and two additional multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) parameters i.e., envelop correlation coefficient (ECC) and multiplexing efficiency (MUX). For antennas operating at 28 and 60 GHz, the minimum frequency shift is observed when the finger is placed at 1.5 mm distance from the antenna, whereas for 15 GHz, the minimum resonance shift is observed when the finger is at 2 mm distance. Losses of up to 80% and 70% are observed for RE and MUX, respectively, when the finger is placed at 0 mm for all antennas compared to the case without user (WU). Finally, it is observed that the ME and envelop correlation coefficient losses are insignificant regardless of the antenna and finger variation.
1. Ying, Z., K. Zhao, T. Bolin, J. Helander, D. Sj¨oberg, S. He, A. Scannavini, L. J. Foged, and G. Nicolas, "Study of phased array in UE for 5G mm wave communication system with consideration of user body effect," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-2, IEEE, April 2016.
2. El Shorbagy, M., R. M. Shubair, M. I. AlHajri, and N. K. Mallat, "On the design of millimetre-wave antennas for 5G," 16th Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS), 1-4, IEEE, November 2016.
3. Liu, J., A. Vosoogh, A. U. Zaman, and J. Yang, "Design and fabrication of a high-gain 60-GHz cavity-backed slot antenna array fed by inverted microstrip gap waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 4, 2117-2122, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2670509
4. Zhou, R., D. Liu, and H. Xin, "A wideband circularly polarized patch antenna for 60 GHz wireless communications," Wireless Engineering and Technology, Vol. 3, 97-105, June 2012. doi:10.4236/wet.2012.33016
5. Chen, X., L. Tian, P. Tang, and J. Zhang, "Modelling of human body shadowing based on 28 GHz indoor measurement results," 84th Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Fall), 1-5, IEEE, 2016.
6. Manabe, T., Y. Miura, and T. Ihara, "Effects of antenna directivity and polarization on indoor multipath propagation characteristics at 60 GHz," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 14, No. 3, 441-448, 1996. doi:10.1109/49.490229
7. Zhao, K., C. Gustafson, Q. Liao, S. Zhang, T. Bolin, Z. Ying, and S. He, "Channel characteristics and user body effects in an outdoor urban scenario at 15 and 28 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6534-6548, 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2740959
8. Karadimas, P., B. Allen, and P. Smith, "Human body shadowing characterization for 60-GHz indoor short-range wireless links," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1650-1653, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2294563
9. Rappaport, T. S., S. Sun, R. Mayzus, H. Zhao, Y. Azar, K. Wang, G. N. Wong, J. K. Schulz, M. Samimi, and F. Gutierrez, "Millimeter wave mobile communications for 5g cellular: It will work!," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 335-349, 2013. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2013.2260813
10. Ojaroudiparchin, N., M. Shen, and G. Pedersen, "Multi-layer 5G mobile phone antenna for multi-user mimo communications," 23rd Telecommunications Forum Telfor (TELFOR), 559-562, November 2015.
11. Hong, W., K. Baek, Y. Lee, and Y. G. Kim, "Design and analysis of a low-profile 28 GHz beam steering antenna solution for future 5g cellular applications," MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1-4, IEEE, June 2014.
12. Zhao, K., J. Helander, D. Sjoberg, S. He, T. Bolin, and Z. Ying, "User body effect on phased array in user equipment for the 5G mmWave communication system," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 864-867, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2611674
13. Dussopt, L., Y. Lamy, S. Joblot, J. Lantri, H. Salti, P. Bar, H. Sibuet, B. Reig, J.-F. Carpentier, C. Dehos, and P. Vincent, "Silicon interposer with integrated antenna array for millimeter-wave shortrange communications," Microwave Symp. Int. MTT-S. Dig., IEEE, Montreal, Canada, June 17–22, 2012.
14. Wu, T., T. S. Rappaport, and C. M. Collins, "The human body and millimeter-wave wireless communication systems: Interactions and mplications," International Conference on Communications (ICC), 2423-2429, IEEE, June 2015.
15. Zhadobov, M., N. Chahat, R. Sauleau, C. Le Quement, and Y. Le Drean, "Millimeter-wave interactions with the human body: State of knowledge and recent advances," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 3, No. 2, 237-247, 2011. doi:10.1017/S1759078711000122
16. Heino, M., C. Icheln, and K. Haneda, "Finger effect on 60 GHz user device antennas," 10th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, IEEE, April 2016.
17. Li, Y., Y. Luo, and G. Yang, "12-port 5G massive MIMO antenna array in sub-6 GHz mobile handset for LTE bands 42/43/46 applications," IEEE Access, 2017.
18. Ying, Z., K. Zhao, T. Bolin, S. He, A. Scannavini, L. J. Foged, and G. Nicolas, "Multiplexing efficiency of high order MIMO in mobile terminal for 5G communication at 15 GHz," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (ISAP), 594-595, IEEE, October 2016.
19. Sharawi, M. S., "Current misuses and future prospects for printed multiple-input, multiple-output antenna systems [wireless corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 59, No. 2, 162-170, 2017. doi:10.1109/MAP.2017.2658346
20. Tian, R., B. K. Lau, and Z. Ying, "Multiplexing efficiency of MIMO antennas with user effects," International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society (APSURSI), 1-2, IEEE, July 2012.
21. Athley, F., A. Derneryd, J. Friden, L. Manholm, and A. Stjernman, "MIMO performance of realistic UE antennas in LTE scenarios at 750 MHz," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 1337-1340, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2177237