This article discusses the effect of sectorization technique in hemispherical dielectric resonator antennas (HDRA) for the first time with its significant effects on electromagnetic modes and various antenna parameters. The sector angle (β) forms an additional framework for better optimization of HDRA. The resonance frequency, impedance bandwidth, co-cross polarization characteristics have been investigated in new sectored HDRA geometries excited at their TE111 and TM101 modes. Further, examination of circular polarization (CP) is carried out by detuning of degenerate orthogonal modes in HDRAs, and β = 180° has been particularly examined in details for CP. Based on the results, appropriate values of `β' and probe position (Pr) are chosen followed by modelling a prototype and experimental.
Raghvendra Kumar Chaudhary,
"Investigation of New Sectored Hemispherical Dielectric Resonator Antennas Operating at TM101 and TE111 Mode for Circular Polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 167, 95-109, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIER20041601
1. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antenna Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2007.
2. Mongia, R. K. and P. Bhartia, "Dielectric resonator antennas — A review and general design relations for resonant frequency and bandwidth," International Journal of Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 3, 230-247, 1994. doi:10.1002/mmce.4570040304
3. Leung, K. W., K. M. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of a coaxial probe fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 10, 1390-1397, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.247779
4. Luk, K. M., K. W. Leung, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Analysis of hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," Radio Science, Vol. 28, No. 6, 1211-1218, 1993. doi:10.1029/93RS00945
5. Fang, X. S. and K. W. Leung, "Design of wideband omnidirectional two-layer transparent hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 10, 5353-5357, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2341294
6. Mukherjee, B., P. Patel, and J. Mukherjee, "A novel cup-shaped inverted hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1240-1243, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2283213
7. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "New half-hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna for broadband monopole-type radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 12, 3621-3628, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.886547
8. Guha, D., B. Gupta, C. Kumar, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Segmented hemispherical DRA: New geometry characterized and investigated in multi-element composite forms for wideband antenna applications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1605-1610, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2180345
9. Leung, K. W. and H. K. Nge, "The slot-coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna with a parasitic patch: Applications to the circularly polarized antenna and wideband antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1762-1769, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.846731
10. Gupta, S., V. Killamsetty, M. Chauhan, and B. Mukherjee, "Compact and circularly polarized hemispherical DRA for C-band applications," Frequenz Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications, De-gruyter, Vol. 73, No. 7–8, 227-234, 2019.
11. Tam, M. T. K. and R. D. Murch, "Compact circular sector and annular sector dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 837-842, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774138
12. Chowdhury, R. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Investigation on different forms of circular sectored-dielectric resonator antenna for improvement in circular polarization performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 66, No. 10, 5596-5601, 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2854418
13. Van Bladel, J., "On the resonances of a dielectric resonator of very high permittivity," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, 199-208, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128528
14. Van Bladel, J., "The excitation of dielectric resonators of very high permittivity," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, 208-215, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128529
15. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
16. Leung, K. W., K. K. Tse, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Cross-polarization characteristics of a probe-fed hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 7, 1228-1230, 1999. doi:10.1109/8.785755
17. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Norwood, MA, USA, 2003.
18. Chowdhury, R. and R. K. Chaudhary, "An approach to generate circular polarization in a modified cylindrical-shaped dielectric resonator antenna using PMC boundary approximation," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 9, 1727-1731, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2864819