In this paper, scattering and coupling problems of the directional coupler for the dielectric rectangular waveguides are analyzed by the mode-matching method in the sense of least squares for the fundamental mode incidence. This directional coupler is composed of three parallel dielectric rectangular waveguides cores which are placed at equal space in the dielectric medium. Namely, respective cores are core regions of three respective rectangular waveguides. The central rectangular core among them has periodic groove structures of finite extent on its two surfaces which face each other and other two waveguide cores are perfect. In the central waveguide, the fundamental mode is incident from perfect part toward the periodic structure of this waveguide. The power of the incident mode to the central waveguide is coupled to other two waveguides through periodic groove structure. The coupled mode propagates in the other waveguides to the same or opposite direction for the direction of the incident mode when the Bragg condition is selected appropriately. The method of this paper results in the integral equations of Fredholm type of the second kind for the unknown spectra of scattered fields. The results of the first order approximate solutions of the integral equations are presented in this paper.
4. Akiba, S. and H. A. Haus, "Variational analysis of optical waveguide with rectangular cross section," Appl. Opt., Vol. 21, 804-808, 1982. doi:10.1364/AO.21.000804
5. Huang, W. P., H. A. Haus, and H. N. Yoon, "Analysis of burriedchannel waveguides and couplers: scalar solution and polarization correction," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 8, No. 5, 642-643, 1990. doi:10.1109/50.54469
6. Haus, H. A., W. P. Huang, and N. M. Whitaker, "Optical waveguide dispersion characteristics from the scalar wave equation," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 5, No. 12, 1748-1754, 1987. doi:10.1109/JLT.1987.1075469
7. Kumar, A., K. Thyayarajan, and A. K. Ghatak, "Analysis of rectangular core dielectric waveguides: An accurate perturbation approach," Opt. Lett., Vol. 8, 63-65, 1983. doi:10.1364/OL.8.000063
8. Tomita, M., "Thin-film waveguide with a periodic groove structure of finite extent," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 6, No. 9, 1455-1464, 1989. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.6.001455
9. Tomita, M., "Analyses of grating couplers by mode-matching method in the sense of least squares," Trans. IEICE, Vol. E73, No. 4, 554-565, 1990.
10. Tomita, M., "Analysis of thin-film waveguide with a rectangular groove structure of finite extent," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 10, 1259-1282, 1991.
11. Tomita, M., "Analysis for scattering problem of directional coupler for slab waveguides," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E80-C, No. 11, 1482-1490, 1997.
12. Yasuura, K. and T. Miyamoto, "Numerical analysis of an embedded optical waveguide," Radio Sci., Vol. 17, 93-98, 1982. doi:10.1029/RS017i001p00093
13. Marcuse, D., Theory of Dielectric Optical Waveguides, Academic Press, New York, 1974.
14. Marcuse, D., "The coupling of degenerate modes in two parallel dielectric waveguides," B. S. T. J., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1791-1816, 1971.
15. Kapany, N. S. and J. J. Burke, Optical Waveguides, Academic Press, New York, 1972.
16. Van den Berg, P. M. and J. T. Fokkema, "The Rayleigh hypothesis in the theory of diffraction by a perturbation in a plane surface," Radio Sci., Vol. 15, 723-732, 1980. doi:10.1029/RS015i004p00723
17. Nayfe, A., Perturbation Method, John Willy & Sons, New York, 1973.
18. Tomita, M., "Coupling efficiency of grating coupler for the gaussian light beam incidence," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E79-C, Vol. 10, 1420–1429, 1996.
19. Noble, B., "Method Based on the Winer-Hopf Technique," Pergamon Press, London, 1958.