This paper describes a novel design of a dual-polarized ultra wideband horn antenna. Based on a VSWR ≤ 2.6, the bandwidth of the designed UWB horn antenna is from 8-18 GHz, most suitable for radar systems. A newcoaxial line to quadruple-ridged waveguide transition and a newtec hnique for tapering the flared section of the horn is introduced to improve the return loss and matching of the impedance, respectively. Results of simulation for VSWR, isolation, gain and radiation pattern of designed horn antenna are presented and discussed.
Hamid Reza Hassani,
Ali Reza Mallahzadeh,
"Quad Ridged Horn Antenna for UWB Applications," ,
Vol. 79, 23-38, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07091602
1. Allen, B., M. Dohler, E. E. Okon, W. Q. Malik, A. K. Brown, and D. J. Edward, Ultra-wideband Antennas and Propagation for Communications Radar and Imaging, 1st edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2007.
2. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239401
3. Coulibaly, Y. and T. A. Denidni, "Design a broadband hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for X-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 12, 1629-1642, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292354
4. Zaker, R., Ch. Ghobadi, and J. Nourina, "A modified microstripfed towstep tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
5. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. Geran, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06082901
6. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2005.
7. Cohn, S. B., Properties of ridged waveguide, Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, No. 8, 783-778, 1947.
14. Abbas-Azimi, M., F. Arazm, J. Rashed-Mohassel, and R. Faraji- Dana, "Designandoptimizationofanew1-18GHzdoubleridgedguidehornantenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Wave and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 501-506, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780616810
15. Sun, W. and C. A. Balanis, "MPIE analysis and design fridged waveguides," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 41, No. 11, 1965-1971, 1993. doi:10.1109/22.273423
16. Sun, W. and C. A. Balanis, "Analysis and design of quadruple ridged waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory & Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2201-2207, 1994. doi:10.1109/22.339743
17. Soroka, S., A physically compact quad ridged horn design, IEEE Antenna and Propag. Society International Symposium, Vol. 24, No. 6, 903-904, 1986.
18. Shen, Z. and C. Feng, "A newdual-p olarized broadband horn antenna," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propag. Letters, Vol. 4, 270-273, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.852998
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., 2005.