Two-dimensional isotropic metamaterials fabricated from cross split-ring resonators (CSRRs) are characterized and their constitutive relation tensors are studied in this paper. The effective constitutive parameters of the metamaterials are determined utilizing the quasi-static Lorentz theory and numerical method (i.e., the method of moments for solving the electric field integral equation). The induced current distributions of a single CSRR at the resonant frequency are presented. Moreover, the dependence of the resonant frequency on the dimensions of a single CSRR and the space distances of the CSRR array is also discussed. Reflection and transmission coefficients of a metamaterial slab versus frequency are finally discussed.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic meso structures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phe- nomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Pendry, J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, No. 18, 3966-3969, 2000.
5. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, No. 18, 4184-4187, 2000.
6. Li, L.-W., H.-X. Zhang, and Z.-N. Chen, Representation of constitutive relation tensors of metamaterials: An approximation for ffb media, Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium, 13-16, 2003.
7. Smith, D. R. and D. Schurig, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in media with indefinite permittivity and permeability tensors," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 90, No. 7, 077405, 2003.
8. Chen, H., L. Ran, J. Huangfu, X. Zhang, K. Chen, T. M. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "T-junction waveguide experiment to characterize left-handed properties of metamaterials," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 94, No. 6, 3712-3716, 2003.
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Design, fabrication, and testing of double negative metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1516-1529, 2003.
10. Engheta, N., "Metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability: background, salient features, and new trends," Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 187-190, 2003.
11. Cubukcu, E., K. Aydin, and E. Ozbay, "Subwavelength resolution in a two-dimensional photonic-crystal-based superlens," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 91, No. 20, 207401, 2003.
12. Shvets, G., "Photonic approach to making a material with a negative index of refraction," Physical Review B, Vol. 67, 035109, 2003.
13. Caloz, C., A. Sanada, and T. Itoh, "Microwave applications of transmission-line based negative refractive index structures," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, No. 11, 2003.
14. Eleftheriades, G. V., A. K. Iyer, and P. C. Kremer, "Planar negative refractive index media using periodically l-c loaded transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 12, 2702-2712, 2002.
15. Oliner, A. A., "A planar negative-refractive-index medium without resonant elements," Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 191-194, 2003.
16. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two-dimensional, isotropic, left-handed metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 78, No. 4, 489-491, 2001.
17. Gay-Balmaz, P. and O. J. F. Martin, "Efficient isotropic magnetic resonators," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 81, No. 5, 939-941, 2001.
18. Tretyakov, S. A., "Meta-materials with wideband negative permittivity and permeability," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 9, 163-165, 2001.
19. Grbic, A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Periodic analysis of a 2-D negative refractive index transmission line structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2604-2611, 2003.
20. Gay-Balmaz, P. and O. J. F. Martin, "Electromagnetic resonances in individual and coupled split-ring resonators," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 92, No. 5, 2929-2936, 2002.
21. Kong, J. A., "Theorems of bianisotropic media," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 60, No. 9, 1036-1046, 1972.
22. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, Chapter 12, IEEE Press, New York, 1991.
23. Ishimaru, A., S.-W. Lee, Y. Kuga, and V. Jandhyala, "Generalized constitutive relations for metamaterials based on the quasi-static lorentz theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2550-2557, 2003.
24. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, The 2nd edition, IEEE Press, Piscataway, New Jersey, 1991.
25. Song, J. M. and W. C. Chew, "Moment method solutions using parametric geometry," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 1/2, 71-83, 1995.
26. Ishimaru, A., S.-W. Lee, Y. Kuga, and V. Jandhyala, "Computation of generalized constitutive relations for metamaterials," Proceeding of International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. I-02, 177-180, 2002.
27. Kong, J. A., "Electromagnetic wave interaction with stratified negative isotropic media," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 1-52, 2002.