An effective approach is proposed in this paper for estimating the near-field data external to the measurement region in the plane-polar scanning. It relies on the nonredundant sampling representations of the electromagnetic field and makes use of the singular value decomposition method for the extrapolation of the outside samples. It is so possible to reduce in a significant way the error due to the truncation of the measurement zone thus increasing the farfield angular region of good reconstruction. The comparison of such an approach, based on the optimal sampling interpolation expansions, with an existing procedure using the cardinal series has highlighted that the proposed technique works better. Some numerical tests are reported for demonstrating its effectiveness.
"An Effective Technique for Reducing the Truncation Error in the Near-Field-Far-Field Transformation with Plane-Polar Scanning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 73, 213-238, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07032202
1. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Representation of electromagnetic fields over arbitrary surfaces by a finite and nonredundant number of samples," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 351-359, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.662654
2. Bucci, O. M. and G. Franceschetti, "On the spatial bandwidth of scattered fields," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-35, 1445-1455, 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144024
3. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Nearfield- far-field transformation from nonredundant plane-polar data: effective modellings of the source," IEE Proc.-Microw., Vol. 145, 33-38, 1998.
4. Bucci, O. M., F. D'Agostino, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "NF-FF transformation with plane-polar scanning: ellipsoidal modelling of the antenna," Automatika, Vol. 41, 159-164, 2000.
5. D'Agostino, F., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Data reduction in the NF-FF transformation with bi-polar scanning," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, 32-36, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10662
6. Ferrara, F., C. Gennarelli, R. Guerriero, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "An efficient near-field to far-field transformation using the planar wide-mesh scanning," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 21, 341-357, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367404
7. D'Agostino, F., F. Ferrara, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "NF-FF transformation with cylindrical scanning from a minimum number of data," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 35, 264-270, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10578
8. Bucci, O. M., F. D'Agostino, C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Data reduction in the NF-FF transformation technique with spherical scanning," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 15, 755-775, 2001.
9. D'Agostino, F., C. Gennarelli, G. Riccio, and C. Savarese, "Theoretical foundations of near-field-far-field transformations with spiral scannings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 193-214, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06021401
10. Gennarelli, C., G. Riccio, F. D'Agostino, and F. Ferrara, Near-field-Far-field Transformation Techniques, Vol. 1, Vol. 1, CUES, Salerno, Italy, 2004.
11. Bucci, O. M., C. Gennarelli, and C. Savarese, "Optimal interpolation of radiated fields over a sphere," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-39, 1633-1643, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.102779
12. Slepian, D. and H. O. Pollak, "Prolate spheroidal wave functions, Fourier analysis and uncertainty — I," Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 40, 43-63, 1961.
13. Papoulis, A., "A new algorithm in spectral analysis and bandlimited extrapolation," IEEE Trans. Circuits, Vol. CAS-22, 735-742, 1975. doi:10.1109/TCS.1975.1084118
14. Sabri, M. S. and W. Steenaart, "An approach to band-limited signal extrapolation: the extrapolation matrix," IEEE Trans. Circuits, Vol. CAS-25, 74-78, 1978. doi:10.1109/TCS.1978.1084442
15. Cadzow, J. A., "An extrapolation procedure for band-limited signals," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-27, 4-12, 1979. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1979.1163187
16. Jain, A. K. and S. Ranganath, "Extrapolation algoritms for discrete signals with application in spectral estimation," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-29, 830-845, 1981. doi:10.1109/TASSP.1981.1163639
17. Sanz, J. L. C. and T. S. Huang, "Some aspects of band-limited signal extrapolation: models, discrete approximation, and noise," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-31, 830-845, 1983.
18. Sullivan, B. J. and B. Liu, "On the use of singular value decomposition and decimation in discrete-time band-limited signal extrapolation," IEEE Trans. Acoust., Vol. ASSP-32, 1201-1212, 1994.
19. Sano, A., "Optimally regularized inverse of singular value decomposition and application to signal extrapolation," Signal Processing, Vol. 30, 163-176, 1993. doi:10.1016/0165-1684(93)90145-Z
20. Ferreira, P. J. S. G., "The stability of a procedure for the recovery of lost samples in band-limited signals," Signal Processing, Vol. 40, 195-205, 1994. doi:10.1016/0165-1684(94)90067-1
21. Landau, H. J., "Extrapolating a band-limited function from its samples taken in a finite interval," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. IT-32, 464-470, 1986. doi:10.1109/TIT.1986.1057205
22. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and M. D. Migliore, "A new strategy to reduce the truncation error in near-field/far-field transformations," Radio Science, Vol. 35, 3-17, 2000. doi:10.1029/1999RS900073
23. Bucci, O. M., G. D'Elia, and M. D. Migliore, "Experimental validation of a new technique to reduce the truncation error in near-field far-field transformation," Proc. of AMTA 1998, 180-185, 1998.
24. Bolomey, J. C., O. M. Bucci, L. Casavola, G. D'Elia, M. D. Migliore, and A. Ziyyat, "Reduction of truncation error in near-field measurement of antennas of base-station mobile communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, 593-602, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.823999
25. Golub, G. H. and C. F. Van Loan, Matrix Computations, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1996.
26. Press, W. H., S. A. Teukolsky, W. T. Vetterling, and B. P. Flannery, Numerical Recipes, Cambridge University Press, New York, 1999.
27. Hansen, P. C., Rank-deficient and Discrete Ill-posed Problems, SIAM, Philadelphia, USA, 1998.
28. Tikhonov, A. N. and V. Y. Arsenin, Solutions of Ill-posed Problems, Winston, Washington, D.C., USA, 1977.
29. Paris, D. T., W. M. Leach, Jr., and E. B. Joy, "Basic theory of probe-compensated near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-26, 373-379, 1978. doi:10.1109/TAP.1978.1141855
30. Gatti, M. S. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "FFT applications to planepolar near-field antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-36, 781-791, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1180