A high-performance multilayer dual-mode filter is developed based on the substrate integrated waveguide circular cavity (SICC) in this paper. The filter is constructed with two circular cavities and each cavity supports two degeneration modes, which can be generated and controlled by the coupling aperture and slot located between layers. Detailed design process is introduced to synthesize an X-band dual-mode dual-layer filter. It not only has the good performances, but also reduces the circuit size much more. Moreover, it can be found that the upper side response of the filter is very steep. Good agreement is obtained between the simulated and measured results of the proposed structure.
Zhi Gang Zhang,
Yu Jian Cheng,
"A Compact Multilayer Dual-Mode Substrate Integrated Circular Cavity (SICC) Filter for X-Band Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 122, 453-465, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER11102904
1. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filters for broadband wireless systems," RAWCON'03 Proceedings, 385-388, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/RAWCON.2003.1227973
2. Shen, W., X. W. Sun, W. Y. Yin, J. F. Mao, and Q. F. Wei, "A novel single-cavity dual mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with nonresonating node," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 6, 368-370, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2020017
3. Li, R. Q., X. H. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filter using slot lines perturbation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 12, Jun. 10, 2010.
4. Tang, H. J., W. Hong, J.-X. Chen, G.-Q. Luo, and K. Wu, "Development of millimeter-wave planar diplexers based on complementary characters of dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filters with circular and elliptic cavities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 776-781, Apr. 2007. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2007.893655
5. Potelon, B., J. C. Bohorquez, J. F. Favennec, C. Quendo, and E. Rius, "Design of Ku-band filter based on substrate-integrated circular cavities (SICCs) ," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1237-1240, Jun. 2006. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2006.249434
6. Ahn, K. and I. Yom, "A Ka-band multilayer LTCC 4-pole bandpass filter using dual-mode cavity resonators," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1235-1238, Jun. 2008.
7. Wei, Q.-F., Z.-F. Li, L.-S. Wu, W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, and L. Li, "Compact cross-coupled circular cavity filters using multilayer substrate integrated waveguide," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, Mar. 12, 2009.
8. Hu, G., C. J. Liu, L. Yan, K.-M. Huang, and W. Menzel, "Novel dual mode substrate integrated waveguide band-pass filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1662-1672, 2010.
9. Wang, J.-P., L. Wang, Y.-X. Guo, Y.-X. Wang, and D.-G. Fang, "Miniaturized dual-mode bandpass filter with controllable harmonic response for dual-band applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1525-1533, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309789476482
10. Zhao, L.-P., X.-W. Dai, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07090501
11. Wei, C.-L., B.-F. Jia, Z.-J. Zhu, and M.-C. Tang, "Design of different selectivity dual-mode filters with E-shaped resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 517-532, 2011.
12. Chen, C.-H., C.-S. Shih, T.-S. Horng, and S.-M. Wu, "Very miniature dual-band and dual-mode bandpass filter designs on an integrated passive device chip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 461-476, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER11080105
13. Cao, W.-Q., B.-N. Zhang, T.-B. Yu, A. J. Liu, S.-J. Zhao, D. S. Guo, and Z.-D. Song, "Single-feed dual-band dual-mod and dualpolarized microstrip antenna based on metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1909-1919, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311797453953
14. Hu, G., Y. Chen, X. Zhao, K. Huang, and C. Liu, "Novel high selective bandpass filters incorporated with quasi-lumped impedance inverters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 10, 1382-1390, 2011.
15. Hu, J. P., G. H. Li, H. P. Hu, and H. Zang, "A new wideband triple-band filter using SIR," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 16, 2287-2295, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311798147042
16. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, K. Wu, and Y. Fan, "Millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguide long slot leaky-wave antennas and two-dimensional multibeam applications ," IEEE Transaction Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 40-47, Jan. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090471
17. Cheng, Y. J., W. Hong, and K. Wu, "Broadband self-compensating phase shifter combining delay line and equal-length unequal-width phaser," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 1, 203-210, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2035942
18. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Guided-Wave and leakage characteristics of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 1, 66-70, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2004.839303
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 1998.
20. Cameron, R. J., "General coupling matrix synthesis method for Chebyshev filtering functions," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 4, 433-442, Apr. 1999. doi:10.1109/22.754877
21. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, 235-272, Chap. 8, Wiley, New York, USA.