In this paper, suppression of mutual coupling is achieved using compact waveguided metamaterials in between elements of a densely packed microstrip array. Both the E-plane internally folded complementary split ring resonator and the H-plane internally folded complementary split ring resonator are employed to reduce the mutual coupling between adjacent elements. Coupling suppression of 18 dB and 9 dB, for elements in the E-plane and H-plane, respectively, is demonstrated. Due to the compact size of the waveguided metamaterials, the edge-to-edge separation between elements is kept at only 0.093λ0. With the same elements spacing, a 2×2 array is also simulated with compact WG-MTMs. The proposed structure reduces the array size and enables the implementation of compact Multiple-Input-Multiple-Output systems.
2. Bait-Suwailam, M. M., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 9, 876-878, 2010.
3. Nikolic, M., A. Djordjevic, and A. Neorai, "Microstrip antennas with suppressed radiation in horizontal directions and reduced coupling," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 3469-3476, 2005.
4. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003.
5. Coulombe, M., S. F. Koodiani, and C. Caloz, "Compact elongated mushroom (EM)-EBG structure for enhancement of patch antenna array performances," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 4, 1076-1086, 2010.
6. Assimonis, S. D., V. Y. Traianos, and S. A. Christos, "Computational investigation and design of planar EBG structures for coupling reduction in antenna applications," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 771-774, 2012.
7. Farahani, H. S., M. Veysi, M. Kamyab, and A. Tadjalli, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays using a UC-EBG superstrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 9, 57-59, 2010.
8. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Cheng, R. D. Murch, and C. R. Rowell, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely-packed antenna elements," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 6, 1732-1738, 2007.
9. Buell, K., H. Mosallaei, and K. Sarabandi, "Metamaterial insulator enabled superdirective array," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1074-1085, 2007.
10. Liu, R., X. M. Yang, J. G. Gollub, J. J. Mock, T. J. Cui, and D. R. Smith, "Gradient index circuit by waveguided metamaterials," Applied Physics Letter, Vol. 94, No. 7, 073506, 2009.
11. Yang, X. M., Q. H. Sun, Y. Jing, Q. Cheng, X. Y. Zhou, H. W. Kong, and T. J. Cui, "Increasing the bandwidth of microstrip patch antenna by loading compact artificial magneto-dielectrics," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 373-378, 2011.
12. Yang, X. M., X. G. Liu, X. Y. Zhou, and T. J. Cui, "Reduction of mutual coupling between closely packed patch antennas using waveguided metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letter, Vol. 11, 389-391, 2012.
13. Han, X., H. Hafdallah Ouslimani, T. Zhang, and A. C. Priou, "CSRRS for efficient reduction of the electromagnetic interferences and mutual coupling in microstrip circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 42, 291-309, 2012.
14. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and M. Q. Qi, "Hilbert-shaped magnetic waveguided metamaterials for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 4, 1526-1529, 2013.
15. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001.
16. Schurig, D., J. J.Mock, and D. R. Smith, "Electric-field coupled resonators for negative permittivity metamaterials," Applied Physics Letter, Vol. 88, 041109, 2006.
17. Wu, Q., P. Pan, F. Y. Meng, L. W. Li, and I. Wu, "A novel flat lens horn antenna designed based on zero refraction principle of metamaterials," Applied Physics A, Vol. 87, No. 2, 151-156, 2007.
18. Smith, D. R., J. GolIub, J. J. Mock, W. J. Padila, and D. Schurig, "Calculation and measurement of bianisotropy in a split ring resonator metamaterial," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 100, No. 19, 024507, 2006.
19. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of materials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Physics Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104, 2002.
20. Gu, S., J. P. Barrett, T. H. Hand, B. I. Popa, and S. A. Cummer, "A broadband low-reflection metamaterial absorber," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 108, No. 6, 064913, 2010.
21. Hou, D. B., S. Xiao, B.-Z. Wang, L. Jiang, J. Wang, and W. Hong, "Elimination of scan blindness with compact defected ground structures in microstrip phased array," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 269-275, 2009.