The spectral structure of the reflected and transmitted fields due to a three dimensional electromagnetic X-wave incident on a planar air-dielectric interface is examined. Using a novel superposition of azimuthally dependent pulsed plane waves, it is shown that for oblique incidence the reflected pulse has a localized wave structure. On the other hand, the transmitted field maintains its localization up to a certain distance from the interface beyond which it starts disintegrating. A study of the effects of polarization on the amplitudes of the reflected and transmitted wave fields is presented.
1. Brittingham, J. N., "Focus wave modes in homogeneous Maxwell equations: Transverse electric mode," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 54, 1179-1189, 1983. doi:10.1063/1.332196
2. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Exact solutions of the wave equation with complex source locations," J. Math. Phys, Vol. 26, 861-863, 1985. doi:10.1063/1.526579
3. Besieris, I. M., A. M. Shaarawi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "A bidirectional traveling plane wave representation of exact solutions of the scalar wave equation," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 30, 1254-1269, 1989. doi:10.1063/1.528301
4. Lu, J. Y. and J. F. Greenleaf, "Nondiffracting X waves — exact solutions to free space scalar wave equation and their finite aperture realization," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr., Vol. 39, 19-31, 1992. doi:10.1109/58.166806
5. Ziolkowski, R. W., I. M. Besieris, and A. M. Shaarawi, "Aperture realizations of the exact solutions to homogeneous-wave equations," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, 75-87, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.10.000075
7. Besieris, I., M. Abdel-Rahman, A. Shaarawi, and A. Chatzipetros, "Two fundamental representations of localized pulse solutions of the scalar wave equation," Progress in Electromagnetics Research (PIER), Vol. 19, 1-48, 1998. doi:10.2528/PIER97072900
8. Shaarawi, A. M., "Comparison of two localized wavefields generated from dynamic apertures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 14, 1804-1816, 1997. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.14.001804
9. Ziolkowski, R. W., D. K. Lewis, and B. D. Cook, "Experimental verification of the localized wave transmission effect," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 62, 147-150, 1989. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.62.147
10. Lu, J. Y. and J. F. Greenleaf, "Experimental verification of nondiffracting X waves," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelec. Freq. Contr., Vol. 39, 441-446, 1992. doi:10.1109/58.143178
11. Saari, P. and K. Reivelt, "Evidence of X-shaped propagationinvariant localized light waves," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 21, 4135-4138, 1997. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.79.4135
12. Power, D., R. Donnelly, and R. MacIsaac, "Spherical scattering of superpositions of localized waves," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 48, 1410-1417, 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.48.1410
13. Lu, J. Y., M. Fatemi, and J. F. Greenleaf, "Pulsed-echo imaging with X wave," Acoust. Imag., P. Tortoli and L. Masotti (Eds.), Vol. 22, 191–196, 1996.
14. Hillion, P., "How do focus wave modes propagate across a discontinuity in a medium?," Optik, Vol. 93, 67-72, 1993.
15. Donnelly, R. and D. Power, "The behavior of electromagnetic localized waves at a planar interface," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, 580-591, 1997. doi:10.1109/8.564083
16. Shaarawi, A. M., I. M. Besieris, A. M. Attiya, and E. El-Diwany, "Acoustic X-wave reflection and transmission at a planar interface: spectral analysis," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 107, 70-86, 2000. doi:10.1121/1.428345
17. Attiya, A. M., E. El-Diwany, A. M. Shaarawi, and I. M. Besieris, "Reflection and transmission of electromagnetic X-waves in the presence of planarly layered media: The pulsed plane wave representation," submitted to J. Electromagn. Waves Appl..
18. Fagerholm, J., A. T. Friberg, J. Huttunen, D. P. Morgan, and M. M. Salomaa, "Angular-spectrum representation of nondiffracting X waves," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 54, 4347-4352, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.54.4347
19. Friberg, A. T., J. Fagerholm, and M. M. Salomaa, "Space-frequency analysis of nondiffracting pulses," Opt. Comm., Vol. 136, 207-212, 1997. doi:10.1016/S0030-4018(96)00703-1
20. Shaarawi, A. M., R. W. Ziolkowski, and I. M. Besieris, "On the evanescent fields and the causality of the focus wave modes," J. Math. Phys., Vol. 36, 5565-5587, 1995. doi:10.1063/1.531277
21. Shaarawi, A. M., I. M. Besieris, R. W. Ziolkowski, and S. M. Sedky, "Generation of approximate focus wave mode pulses from wide-band dynamic Gaussian aperture," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 12, 1954-1964, 1995. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.12.001954
22. Born, M. and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1989.
23. Hafizi, B. and P. Sprangle, "Diffraction effects in directed radiation beams," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 8, 705-717, 1991. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.8.000705
24. Sedky, S. M., A. M. Shaarawi, F. M. Taiel, and I. M. Besieris, "On the diffraction length of localized waves generated by dynamic apertures," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 13, 1719-1727, 1996. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.13.001719