In this paper, we introduce a modified FDTD model in order to investigate the behavior of the induced voltage of a non-uniform transmission line (TL) excited by lumped voltage sources or external electromagnetic wave. The parameters to be taken into account for this specific coupling phenomenon are explicitly analyzed and the affection on the behavior of the induced voltage is discussed in detail. To confirm the validity of this model, results obtained by this model, for two typical transmission line configurations, are compared to results obtained by other models, already published in the literature. Finally, several numerical calculations of the line responses are provided for non-uniform TL's that can be present in practical configurations. These results indicate that a configuration slightly different from the uniform one can cause large discrepancies on the termination voltages of the TL.
1. Djordjevic, A. R., T. K. Sarkar, and R. F. Harrington, "Timedomain response of multiconductor transmission lines," Proceedings IEEE, Vol. 75, No. 6, 743-764, 1987. doi:10.1109/PROC.1987.13797
2. Tesche, F. M., M. V. Ianoz, and T. Karlsson, EMC Analysis Methods and Computational Models, Chapter 6, Wiley, New York, 1994.
3. Taylor, C. D., R. S. Satterwhite, C. W. Harrison, and Jr., "The response of a terminated two-wire transmission line excited by a nonuniform electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans.on Ant.Pr op. (Commun), Vol. 13, 987-989, 1965. doi:10.1109/TAP.1965.1138574
4. Smith, Jr., A. A., "A more convenient form of the equations for the response of a transmission line excited by nonuniform fields," IEEE Trans.on EMC (Correspondence), Vol. 15, 151-152, 1973.
5. Rashidi, F., "Formulation of field-to-transmission line coupling equations in terms of magnetic excitation field," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 35, No. 2, 404-407, 1993.
6. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, Wiley, New York, 1994.
7. Agrawal, A. K., H. J. Price, and S. H. Gurbaxani, "Transient response of multiconductor transmission lines excited by a nonuniform electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 22, No. 2, 119-129, 1980.
8. Kami, Y. and R. Sato, "Transient response of a transmission line excited by an electromagnetic pulse," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 30, No. 4, 457-462, 1988.
9. Celozzi, S. and M. Feliziani, "Time-domain solution of fieldexcited multiconductor transmission line equations," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 37, No. 3, 421-431, 1995.
10. Paul, C. R., "Literal solutions for the time-domain response of a two-conductor transmission line excited by an incident electromagnetic field," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 37, No. 2, 241-251, 1995.
11. Omid, M., Y. Kami, and M. Hayakawa, "Field coupling to nonuniform and uniform transmission lines," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 39, No. 3, 201-211, 1997.
12. Paul, C. R., "Incorporation of terminal constraints in the FDTD analysis of transmission lines," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 36, No. 2, 85-91, 1994.
13. Orlandi, A. and C. R. Paul, "FDTD analysis of lossy, multiconductor transmission lines terminated in arbitrary loads," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 38, No. 3, 388-398, 1996.
14. Roden, J. A., et al., "Finite-difference, time-domain analysis of lossy transmission lines," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 38, No. 1, 15-23, 1996.
15. Nucci, C. A., F. Rachidi, M. V. Ianoz, and C. Mazzetti, "Lightning- induced voltages on overhead lines," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 35, No. 1, 5-85, 1993.
16. Rachidi, F., C. A. Nucci, M. Ianoz, and C. Mazzetti, "Influence on lightning-induced voltages on overhead lines," IEEE Trans. on EMC, Vol. 38, No. 3, 250-264, 1996.
17. Hoidalen, H. K., J. Sletbak, and T. Henriksen, "Ground effects on induced voltages from nearby lightning," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 39, No. 4, 269-278, 1997.
18. Cooray, V. and V. Scuka, "Lightning-Induced overvoltages in power lines: validity of various approximations made in overvoltage calculations," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 40, No. 4, 355-363, 1998.
19., "EMP engineering and design principles,", Bell Lab. Pub., NJ, 1975.
20. Barnes, P. R. and F. M. Tesche, "On the direct calculation of a transient plane wave reflected from a finitely conducting half space," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 33, No. 2, 90-96, 1991.
21. Tesche, F. M., "Comparison of the transmission line and scattering models for computing the HEMP response of overhead cables," IEEE Trans.on EMC, Vol. 34, No. 2, 93-98, 1992.