In this paper, a neural network is used to implement an optimized objective function for a genetic algorithm (GA) for application on array antenna design optimization. Traditional GAs are inefficient because a large amount of data that describes the problem space is discarded after each generation. Using the neural network enhanced genetic algorithm (NNEGA), this redundant information is fed back into the GA's objective function via the neural network. The neural network learns the optimal weights of the objective function by identifying trends and optimizing weights depending on the knowledge that it accumulates in-situ. The NNEGA is successfully applied to challenging array antenna design problems. This use of neural network to optimize a multi-objective function for the GA is a new idea that is different from other hybridization of GA and NN.
1. Corne, D. and J. L. Shapiro, Evolutionary Computing, Balin, Springer, 1997.
2. Goldberg, D. E., Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization & Machine Learning, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1989.
3. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
4. Beale, R. and T. Jackson, Neural Computing: An Introduction, Institute of Physics Publishing, Bristol & Philadelphia, 1991.
5. Patterson, D. W., Artificial Neural Networks: Theory and Applications, Prentice Hall, Singapore, 1995.
6. Booker, B., D. E. Goldberg, and J. H. Holland, "Classifier systems and genetic algorithms," Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 40, 235-282, 1989. doi:10.1016/0004-3702(89)90050-7
7. Schaffer, J. D., D. Whitley, and L. Eshelman, "Combinations of genetic algorithms and neural networks: a survey of the state of the art," Combination of Genetic Algorithms and Neural Networks, 1-37, 1992. doi:10.1109/COGANN.1992.273950
8. Montana, D. J. and L. Davis, Training feedforward neural networks using genetic algorithms, Proc. of 11th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, 762-767, 1989.
9. Chen, W. C., N. B. Chang, and J. C. Chen, "GA-based fuzzy neural controller design for municipal incinerators," Fuzzy Sets & Systems, Vol. 129, No. 3, 343-369, 2002. doi:10.1016/S0165-0114(01)00205-6
10. Whitley, D., T. Starkweather, and C. Bogart, "Genetic algorithms and neural networks: optimizing connections and connectivity," Parallel Computing, Vol. 14, 347-361, 1990. doi:10.1016/0167-8191(90)90086-O
11. Xin, Z. H. and H. J. Zhang, "Neural network and genetic algorithms for topology optimization of the CCS7 network," Int. Trans. in Operational Research, Vol. 9, No. 4, 427-436, 2002. doi:10.1111/1475-3995.00365
12. Koza, J. R. and J. P. Rice, "Genetic generation of both the weights and architecture for a neural network," Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks, No. 7, 397-404, 1991. doi:10.1109/IJCNN.1991.155366
13. Capi, G., Y. Nasu, L. Barolli, K. Mitobe, M. Yarnano, and K. Takeda, "A new gait optimization approach based on genetic algorithm for walking biped robots and a neural network implementation," Trans. of the Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1039-1049, 2002.
14. Lee, Y. H., B. J. Cahill, S. J. Porter, and A. C. Marvin, Optimization of the cost function for genetic algorithms using neural networks applied to antenna design, Proc. of International Conference on Antenna and Propagation, 2001.
15. Widrow, B. and M. E. Hoff, Adaptive Switching Circuits, IRE WESCON Convention Record, New York, 1960.
16. Eshelman, L. J., R. A. Caruana, and J. D. Schaffer, Biases in the crossover landscape, Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. on Genetic Algorithms, No. 6, 10-19, 1989.
17. Goldberg, D. E. and K. Deb, "A comparative analysis of selection schemes used in genetic algorithms," Foundations of Genetic Algorithms, 69-93, 1991.
18. Porter, S. J. and A. C. Marvin, "A new broadband EMC antenna for emissions and immunity," Int. Sym. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, No. 9, 75-79, 1994.
19. Paul, C. R., Introduction to Electromagnetic Compatibility, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1992.
20. Lee, Y. H., A. C. Marvin, and S. J. Porter, Near field EMC antenna design using genetic algorithms, Millennium Conference on Antennas & Propagation, No. 4, 2000.
21. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 443, John Wiley & Son, New York, 1982.
22. Horn, J., N. Nafpliotis, and D. E. Goldberg, A niched Pareto genetic algorithm for multiobjective optimization, Proc. 1st IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Vol. 1, 67-72, 1994.