A scattering model for rice canopy based on Monte Carlo simulations is applied to interpret RADARSAT data and to predict the temporal response of rice growth. The model takes into account the coherent wave interactions among vegetative elements which usually occur in clusters with closely spaced elements. The model was also used to analyze the structural effect of rice fields on the scattering returns. Simulation results show a significant difference in L-band backscattering returns from rice fields with different structures, and are consistent with empirical observations from JERS-1 Campaign. Taking the ratio of HH over VV can help eliminating ambiguities in this inverse scattering problem.
1. Aschbacher, J., A. Pongsrihadulchai, S. Karnchanasutham, C. Rodprom, D. R. Paudyal, and T. Le Toan, "Assessment of ERS-1 data for rice crop mapping and monitoring," Proceedings of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, No. 7, 2183-2185, 1995.
2. IRRI, 1993-1995 IRRI Rice Almanac, 1993-1995 IRRI Rice Almanac, 1993-1995, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines, 1995.
3. Karam, M. A., A. K. Fung, and Y. M. M. Antar, "Electromagnetic wave scattering from some vegetation samples," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 26, No. 6, 799-808, 1988. doi:10.1109/36.7711
4. Kurosu, T., T. Suitz, and T. Moriya, "Rice crop monitoring with ERS-1 SAR: a first year result," Proceedings of the Second ERS-1 Symposium, Vol. 1, 97-101, 1993.
5. Kurosu, T., M. Fujita, and K. Chiba, "Monitoring of rice crop growth from space using the ERS-1 C-band SAR," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 33, 1092-1096, 1995. doi:10.1109/36.406698
6. Le Vine, D. M., A. Schneider, R. H. Lang, and H. G. Carter, "Scattering from thin dielectric disks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1410-1413, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143534
7. Le Toan, T., H. Laur, E. Mougin, and A. Lopes, "Multitemporal and dual-polarization observations of agricultural vegetation covers by X-band SAR images," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 27, No. 6, 709-718, 1989. doi:10.1109/TGRS.1989.1398243
8. Le Toan, T., F. Ribbes, N. Floury, L. Wang, K. H. Ding, C. C. Hsu, and J. A. Kong, "On the retrieval of rice crop parameters from SAR data," Proceedings of International Symposium on the Retrieval of Bio-and Geophysical Parameters from SAR Data for Land Applications, No. 10, 233-243, 1995.
9. Le Toan, T., F. Ribbes, L. Wang, N. Floury, K. H. Ding, J. A. Kong, N. Fujita, and T. Kurosu, "Rice crop mapping and monitoring using ERS-1 data based on experiment and modeling results," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 35, No. 1, 41-56, 1997. doi:10.1109/36.551933
10. Pak, K., L. Tsang, C. H. Chan, and J. Johnson, "Backscattering enhancement of electromagnetic waves from 2-D perfectly conducting random rough surfaces based on Monte Carlo simulations," Journal of the Optical Society of America A (Optics, Vol. 12, 2491-2499, 1995.
11. Rosenqvist, Å. and H. Oguma, "Phenological characteristics of cultivated vegetation covers in JERS-1 and ERS-1 synthetic aperture radar data," Proceedings of International Symposium on Vegetation Monitoring, No. 8, 194-198, 1995.
12. Shao, Y., C. Wang, X. Fan, and H. Liu, "Estimation of rice growth status using RADARSAT data," Proceedings of the International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, No. 8, 1430-1432, 1997.
13. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, and R. T. Shin, Theory of Microwave Remote Sensing, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1985.
14. Tsang L., K.-H. Ding, G. Zhang, C. C. Hsu, and J. A. Kong, "Backscattering enhancement and clustering effects of randomly distributed dielectric cylinders overlying a dielectric half space based on Monte-Carlo simulations," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 43, No. 5, 488-499, 1995. doi:10.1109/8.384193
15. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, K. H. Ding, and C. O. Ao, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves: Numerical Simulations, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 2001.
16. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing, Vol. III, Active and Passive, Vol. III, Artech House, 1986.
17. Ulaby, F. T. and M. A. El-Rays, "Microwave dielectric spectrum of vegetationpart II: dual-dispersion model," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 25, No. 5, 550-557, 1987.
18. Yueh, S. H., J. A. Kong, J. K. Jao, R. T. Shin, and T. Le Toan, "Branching model for vegetation," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 30, No. 2, 390-402, 1992. doi:10.1109/36.134088
19. Zurk, L. M., L. Tsang, K. H. Ding, and D. P. Winebrenner, "Monte Carlo simulations of the extinction rate of densely packed spheres with clustered and non-clustered geometries," Journal of the Optical Society of America A (Optics, Vol. 12, 1772-1781, 1995.