This paper begins with a complete description of the complex Poynting theorem, followed by a rigorous study of the generalized resonance in a multi-antenna system. The condition generating the generalized resonance is discussed, which is the balance of the electromagnetic fields energy stored in the antennas open system. The matrix expression of the generalized resonant factor (GRF) is derived. On this basis, the generalized Foster reactance theorem for an arbitrary antenna system is presented and radiation Q is used to further describe the generalized resonance behaviors. Some practical examples have shown that the generalized resonance may take on the phenomena of strong and sharp fields in the near zone and super-directivity in the far zone of the antenna system.
"Study of Generalized Resonance in Multi-Antenna System and Generalized Foster Reactance Theorem," ,
Vol. 52, 255-276, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04082701
1. Liang, C. H. and X. W. Shi, "The final report of EMC analysis of XX warship," Technique Reports.
2. Jin, M. P., C. H. Liang, and X. W. Shi, "Transmission line analysis of generalized resonance in multiple conductors open system," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 15, No. 1, 123-126, 2000.
3. Fante, R. L. and J. T. Mayhan, "Bounds on the electric field outside a radiating system," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. AP-16, No. 6, 712-717, 1965.
4. Garbacz, R. J., "Modal expansions for resonance scattering phenomena," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 53, No. 8, 856-864, 1965.
5. Travers, D. N., J. D. Moore, and W. M. Sherrill, "Multiloop antenna arrays for high-frequency shipboard direction finding," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. AP-13, No. 5, 665-671, 1965. doi:10.1109/TAP.1965.1138533
7. Harrington, R. F., "Resonant behavior of a small aperture backed by a conducting body," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. AP-30, No. 2, 205-212, 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142761
8. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1986.
9. Veremey, V. V. and V. P. Shestopalov, "Superdirective radiation forming in antenna with passive resonant reflector," Radio Science, Vol. 26, No. 2, 631-636, 1991.
10. Li, L. and C. H. Liang, "Study of generalized resonance in antenna system," Proceedings of 2002 3rd International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 162-165, 2002.
11. Grimes, C. A. and D. M. Grimes, "The Poynting theorem and the potential for small antennas," Prof. IEEE Aerosp. Conf., Vol. 3, 161-176, 1997. doi:10.1109/AERO.1997.574859
12. Grimes, C. A. and D. M. Grimes, "Power in modal radiation fields: Limits of the complex Poynting theorem and the potential for electrically small antenna," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 11, 1721-1741, 1997.
13. Grimes, C. A. and D. M. Grimes, "Radiation Q of dipole-generated," Radio Sci., Vol. 34, No. 3, 281-297, 1999. doi:10.1029/1998RS900036
14. Collin, R. E., "Minimum Q of small antenna," J. Electromagn. Waves Applicat., Vol. 12, 1369-1393, 1998.
15. Geyi, W., P. Jarmuszewski, and Y. Qi, "The Foster reactance theorem for antennas and radiation Q," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. AP-48, No. 3, 401-407, 2000. doi:10.1109/8.841901
16. McLean, J. S., "A re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. AP-44, No. 5, 672-675, 1996. doi:10.1109/8.496253
17. Collin, R. E. and S. Rothschild, "Evaluation of antenna Q," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-12, No. 1, 23-27, 1964. doi:10.1109/TAP.1964.1138151
18. Fante, R. L., "Quality factor of general idea antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-17, No. 3, 151-155, 1969. doi:10.1109/TAP.1969.1139411
19. Harrington, R. F., Time Harmonic Electromagnetic Fields, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
20. Jones, D. S., The Theory of Electromagnetism, Pergamon, New York, 1964.
21. Bloch, A., R. D. Medhurst, and S. D. Pool, "A new approach to the design of super-directive aerial arrays," Proc. IEE, Vol. 100, 1081-1085, 1951.
22. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw Hill Book Company, Inc, New York, 1966.
24. Li, L. and C. H. Liang, "Analysis of resonance and quality factor of antenna and scattering systems using complex frequency method combined with model-based parameter estimation," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 46, 165-188, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03091501
25. Liang, C. H. and T. Su, "The generalized Foster theorem and network-Q," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 37, No. 1, 40-45, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10819