The increasing interest in electromagnetic effects in double-negative (DNG) materials requires a formulation capable of a full analysis of wave propagation in such materials. We develop a novel technique for discretization of the Drude medium model and adopt multi-domain pseudospectral time-domain (PSTD) algorithm and well-posed PML formulation to analysis the plane wave scattering properties of a single circular cylinder and a periodic array of the circular cylinders fabricated from the Drude medium. The simulation results show accuracy of the proposed constitutive equation-discretization scheme.
1. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Sov. Phys. Usp., Vol. 10, 509-515, 1968. doi:10.1070/PU1968v010n04ABEH003699
2. Pendry, J. P., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Low frequency plasmons in thin-wire structures," J. Phys. Condens. Matter., Vol. 10, 4785-4809, 1998. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/10/22/007
3. Pendry, J. P., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. MTT-47, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
4. Smith, D. R. and N. Kroll, "Negative refractive index in left-handed materials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 85, 2933-2936, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.85.2933
5. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, W. Padilla, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Loop-wire medium for investigating plasmons at microwave frequencies," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 75, 1425-1427, 1999. doi:10.1063/1.124714
6. Tretyakov, S. A., I. S. Nefedov, C. R. Simovski, and S. I. Maslovski, "Advances in electromagnetics of complex media and metamaterials," NATO-ARW Proceedings, 2002.
7. Karkkainen, M. K. and S. I. Maslovski, "Wave propagation, refraction, and focusing phenomena in Lorentzian doublenegative materials: a theoretical and numerical study," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 37, 4-7, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10807
8. Ziolkowski, R. W. and E. Heyman, "Wave propagation in media having negative permittivity and permeability," Phys. Rev. E., Vol. 64, 2001. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.64.056625
9. Correia, D. and J. M. Jin, "3D-FDTD-PML analysis of left-handed metamaterials," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 40, 201-205, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.11328
11. Tian, B. and Q. H. Liu, "Nonuniform fast cosine transform and chebyshev PSTD algorithm," Progress in Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 28, 259-279, 2000.
12. Yang, B. and J. S. Hesthaven, "Multidomain pseudospectral computation of Maxwells equations in 3-D general curvilinear coordinates," Appl. Numer. Math., Vol. 33, 281-289, 2000. doi:10.1016/S0168-9274(99)00094-X
13. Fan, G.-X., Q. H. Liu, and J. S. Hesthaven, "Multidomain pseudospectral time-domain method for simulation of scattering from objects buried in lossy media," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. GRS-40, No. 6, 1366-1373, 2002. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2002.800272
14. Zhao, G. and Q. H. Liu, "The 3-D multidomain pseudospectral time-domain algorithm for inhomogeneous conductive media," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-52, No. 3, 742-749, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825187
15. Fan, G. X. and Q. H. Liu, "A well-posed PML absorbing boundary condition for lossy media," IEEE Antennas Propagation Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 2-5, 2001.
16. Chew, W. C. and W. H. Weedon, "A 3D perfectly matched medium from modified Maxwell's equation with stretched coordinates," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 7, 599-604, 1994.
17. Abarbanel, S. and D. Gottlieb, "A mathematical analysis of the PML method," J. Comput. Phys., Vol. 134, 357-363, 1997. doi:10.1006/jcph.1997.5717
18. Carpenter, M. H. and C. A. Kennedy, "Fourth order 2N-storage Runge-Kutta scheme," NASA, 1994.
19. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarkar, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. AP-37, No. 2, 229-234, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18710
20. Taflove, A. and S. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, 2003.