Electromagnetic Scattering problem by multiple metamaterial cylinders are studied. A formulation for coating conducting cylinders by metamaterial is presented. The formulation is based on the expansion of electromagnetic fields by Bessel functions in local cylindrical coordinates and then transformation from local coordinates to others using addition theorem of Hankel function. Near fields and scattering cross sections for metamaterial and dielectric cylinders are studied and compared to each other. We have shown that an array of metamaterial cylinders increases forward scattering cross section which may use to increase the directivity of antennas.
2. Ishimaru, A., S. W. Lee, Y. Kuga, and V. Jandhyala, "Generalized constitutive relations for metamaterials based on the quasi-static Lorenz theory," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2550-2557, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817565
3. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Microwave transmission through a two dimensional isotropic, left-handed metamaterial," App. Phys. Lett., Vol. 78, No. 4, 489-491, 2001. doi:10.1063/1.1343489
4. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, No. 4, 4773-4776, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.4773
5. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, No. 5514, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
6. Elsherbeni, A. Z. and A. A. Kishk, "Modeling of cylindrical ob jects by circular dielectric and conducting cylinders," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 1, 96-99, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.123363
7. Li, C. and Z. Shen, "The electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
8. Pastorini, M., M. Raffetto, and A. Randazzo, "Interactions between electromagnetic waves and elliptically-shaped metamaterials," Applied Electromagnetic Laboratory, No. 1.6.4, 1-14, 2004.
9. Sharkawy, M. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and S. F. Mahmoud, "Electromagnetic scattering from parallel chiral cylinders of circular cross-sections using an iterative procedure," Progress in Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 47, 87-110, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03102101