The performance of mobile cellular radio networks is limited by the level of cochannel interference that can be tolerated. The use of antennas arrays is very helpful in enhancing the performance and capacity of the wireless communication system. This paper presents a method for antenna pattern synthesis that suppress multiple interfering narrow or wide band signals while receiving the desired signal by controlling only the phase. Excitation phases are computed using the Sequential Quadratic Programming (SQP) technique. This method transforms the nonlinear minimization (or maximization) problem to a sequence of quadratic subproblems, based on a quadratic approximation of the Lagrangian function.
"Interference Supression of the Linear Antenna Arrays Controlled by Phase with Use of Sqp Algorithm," ,
Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05100603
1. Braum, C., M. Nilson, and R. D. Murch, "Measurement of the interference rejection capability of smart antennas on mobile telephones," IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, 1999.
2. Wells, M. C., "Increasing the capacity of GSM cellular radio using adaptive antennas," IEEE Proc., Vol. 143, No. 5, 1996.
3. Choi, S. and D. Shim, "A novel adaptive beamforming algorithm for a smart antenna system in a CDMA mobile communication environment," IEEE Transaction Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 5, 2000.
4. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1981.
5. Winters, J. H., J. Salz, and R. D Gitlin, "The impact of antenna diversity on the capacity of wireless communication systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 42, 1740-1751, 1994. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.1994.582882
6. Godara, L. C., "Application of antenna array to mobile communications, Part I: performance improvement, feasibility, and system considerations," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 85, No. 7, 1029-1060, 1977.
7. Rudge, A. W., The Handbook of Antenna Design, Vol. 2, Vol. 2, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1983.
8. Boggs, P. T. and J. W. Tolle, "Sequential quadratic program- ming," Acta Numerica 1995, 1-51.
9. Stoer, J., "Foundations of recursive quadratic programming meth- ods for solving nonlinear programs," Computational Mathematical Programming, Vol. 15, 1985.
11. Papalambros, P. Y. and D. J. Wilde, Principles of Optimal Design, Cambridge University Press, 1988.
12. Edgar, T. F. and D. M. Himmelblau, Optimization of Chemical Processes, McGraw Hill, 1988.
13. Schittkowski, K., "Nonlinear programming codes," Lecture Notes in Economics and Mathematical Systems, Vol. 183, 1980.
14. Steyskal, H., "Synthesis of antenna patterns with imposed near- field nulls," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 24, 2000-2001, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19941417
15. Ng, B. P., M. H. Er, and C. Kot, "Linear array geometry synthesis with minimum sidelobe level and null control," IEE Proceedings Microwaves, Vol. 141, No. 03, 162-166, 1994. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19941032
16. Vescovo, R., "Null synthesis by phase control for antenna arrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 33, 2000.
17. Abu-AL-Nadi, D. I., T. H. Ismail, and M. J. Mismar, "Interférence suppression by element position control of phased arrays using LM algorithm," Int. J. Electron. Commun., (AEü), 2005.
18. Ismail, T. H., D. I. Abu-AL-Nadi, and M. J. Mismar, "Phase- only control for antenna pattern synthesis of linear arrays using Levenberg-Marquart algorithm," Electromagnetics, Vol. 24, 555-564, 2004. doi:10.1080/02726340490496707
19. Baird, D. and G. Rassweiler, "Adaptive side lobe nulling using digitally controlled phase shifters," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 24, No. 5, 638-649, 1976. doi:10.1109/TAP.1976.1141415
20. Trastoy, A. and F. Ares, "Linear array pattern synthesis with minimum side lobe level and null control," John Wiley & Sons, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1997.
21. Karaboga, N., K. Guney, and A. Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays with use of modified touring ant colony optimization algorithm," Wiley Periodicals, 375-383, 2002.
22. Shpak, D. J., "A method for the optimal pattern synthesis of linear arrays with prescribed nulls," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-44, 638-649, 1996.
23. Ismail, T. H., M. J. Mismar, and M. M. Dawoud, "Linear array pattern synthesis for wide band sector nulling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 21, 91-101, 1999.
24. Abu-Al-Nadi, D. I. and M. J. Mismar, "Genetically evolved phase-aggregation technique for linear arrays control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 43, 287-304, 2003.
25. Mismar, M. J. and T. H. Ismail, "Pattern nulling by iterative phase perturbation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 22, 181-195, 1999.
26. Güney, K. and A. Akdagli, "Null steering of linear antenna arrays using a modified tabu search algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 33, 167-182, 2001.