This paper presents an experimental Phased Array Antenna System operating at 10 GHz. Geometry of the antenna array is cylindrical. Antenna element excitation phases are adjusted at the intermediate frequency stage. Antenna element excitation amplitudes are taken to be constant. A least squares technique is used for phase computation and radiation pattern synthesis. The obtained radiation patterns provide steerable main lobes and nulls at predefined directions including control of the side lobes at specified levels. Units of the system are presented in detail and their architecture is explained. A phase calibration is used to compensate the system. Measurements of radiation patterns are presented and are compared with calculated patterns.
"Development of a 10 GHz
Phased Array Cylindrical Antenna System in Corporating IF Phase Processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 59, 17-38, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05102403
1. Skolnik, M. I., Phased Array Antennas, Artech House Inc., Norwood, 1972.
2. Ridenour, L. N., Radar System Engineering, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, 1947.
3. Smith, R. A., Aerials for Metre and Decimetre Wavelengths, Cambridge University Press, London, 1949.
4. Price, A., Instruments of Darkness, Charles Scribner's Sons, New York, 1970.
6. Golshayan, A. K., S. V. D. Schoot, and P. Genderen, "Active Phases Array Radar (APAR)," Proc. of the 5th International Conference on Radar Systems, 1999.
7. Dorey, J. and G. Garnier, "RIAS, Radar a Impulsion et Antenne Synthetique," L' Onde Electrique, Vol. 69, No. 6, 36-44, 1989.
8. Luce, A.-S., H. Molina, D. Mulller, and V. Thirard, "Experimental results on RIAS digital beamforming radar," Proc. of the International Conference Radar 92, 1992.
9. Skolnik, M. I., Introduction to Radar Systems, 2nd ed., McGraw- Hill International Editions, New York, 1981.
10. Mailloux, R. J., Phased Array Antenna Handbook, 2nd ed., Artech House Publishers, Norwood, 1994.
11. Provincher, J. and H., "A survey of circular symmetric arrays," Proc. 1970 Phased Array Antenna Symp., No. 6, 1972.
12. Hill, R. J., Phased Array Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1972.
13. Hansen, R. C., Phased Array Antennas, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1998.
14. Uzunoglu, N. K., et al., "On the development of a conformal array system," Workshop Cost-260, No. 12, 1997.
15. Uzunoglu, N. K., et al., "Design of a cylindrically shaped conformal array system," 28th European Microwave Conference, 1998.
16. Koukourlis, C. S., G. A. Kyriacou, S. G. Mavrides, S. K. Dia- mantis, K. Th. Spyridakis, J. N. Sahalos, G. Stratakos, P. Tsenes, and N. Uzunoglou, "Design and development of an active printed cylindrical antenna array for radar applications," Union Radio- Scientifique Internationale, No. 8, 2002.
17. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Dover Pub. Inc., New York, 1965.
18. Litva, J. and T. K.-Y. Lo, Beamforming in Wireless Communica- tions, 1st ed., Artech House Publishers, Norwood, 1996.
19. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, 1st ed., Artech House, Inc., Norwood, 2001.
20. Prasad, S. and R. Charan, "On the constrained synthesis of array patterns with applications to circular and arc arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. AP-32, No. 7, 725-730, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143404