In this paper a new technique for the evaluation of the Green's functions of filament sources in layered media, is presented. The technique is based on the annihilation of the asymptotic and singular behaviors of a spectral Green's function. The remaining function, after annihilation, is treated using a two levels discrete complex image method (DCIM). The application of the proposed technique, provides a complete analytical expression for the spatial Green's function, in terms of the iterative value of the propagation constant. This expression consists of the annihilating functions and a number of complex images. In order to validate the proposed technique, microstrip lines and slotlines are analyzed and the obtained results are found to agree very well with those obtained using a commercial software.
1. Vandenbosch, G. A. E. and A. R. Van de Capelle, "Mixedpotential integral expression formulation of the electric field in a stratified dielectric medium â€” Application to the case of a probe current source," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, 806-817, 1992. doi:10.1109/8.155746
2. Demuynck, F. J., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and A. R. Van de Capelle, "The expansion wave concept â€” Part I: Efficient calculation of the spatial Green's functions in a stratified dielectric medium," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 397-406, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.662659
3. Michalski, K. A. and D. Zheng, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part I: Theory," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 38, 335-344, 1990. doi:10.1109/8.52240
4. Dural, G. and M. I. Aksun, "Closed-form Green's function for general sources and stratified media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 1545-1552, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.392913
5. Hsu, C.-I. G., R. F. Harrington, K. A. Michaliski, and D. Zheng, "Analysis of multiconductor transmission lines of arbitrary cross section in multilayered uniaxial media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 41, 70-78, 1993. doi:10.1109/22.210231
6. Sommerfeld, A., Partial Differential Equations in Physics, Academic, New York, 1949.
7. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, D. G. Fang, and G. E. Howard, "Aclosedform spatial Green's function for the thick microstrip substrate," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 588-592, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.75309
8. Mohsen, A., "On the evaluation of Sommerfeld integrals," IEE Proc. Pt. H., Vol. 129, 177-182, 1982.
9. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. Mohsen, "Assessment of image theory for field evaluation over a multi-layer earth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 33, 1054-1058, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143502
10. Yang, J. J., Y. L. Chow, and D. G. Fang, "Discrete complex images of a three-dimensional dipole above and within a lossy ground," IEE Proc. Pt. H., Vol. 138, 319-326, 1991.
11. Chow, Y. L., J. J. Yang, and G. E. Howard, "Complex images for electrostatic field computation in multilayered media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 39, 1120-1125, 1991. doi:10.1109/22.85378
12. Hua, Y. and T. K. Sarker, "Generalized pencil-of-function method for extracting poles of an EM system from its transient response," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, 229-234, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18710
13. Aksun, M. I., "A robust approach for the derivation of closedform Green's functions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 44, 651-658, 1996. doi:10.1109/22.493917
14. Soliman, E. A., P. Pieters, E. Beyne, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "40 Soliman and Vandenbosch Numerically efficient spatial domain moment method for multislot transmission lines in layered media â€” Application to multislot lines in MCM-D technology," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, 1782-1787, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.788513
15. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, "Table of Integrals," Series and Products, 1980.
16. Momentum, version 4.8, Agilent Technologies, 2003.