Theoretical results on the electromagnetic properties of such a structure as a negative-permittivity layer placed on a reflecting grating are discussed. Effect of this structure resonant absorption of the excitation electromagnetic energy is studied in a wide range of problem parameters. The sufficient conditions of the effect appearance are determined by solving the dielectric-layer eigenoscillation problem. A comparative analysis of the absorption by the negative- and the positive-permittivity structures is made to reveal the characteristic features of the effect. Phenomenon of the absorption resonance splitting is shown in the case of plane wave oblique incidence on the structure. The E-polarized plane wave diffraction is considered to find out essential difference of the resonant absorption in the E and H cases.
8. Bilotti, F., A. Alù, N. Engheta, and L. Vegni, "Anomalous properties of scattering from cavities partially loaded with double-negative or single-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 49-63, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04041401
9. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Phys. Rev. Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.84.4184
10. Shelby, R. A., D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001. doi:10.1126/science.1058847
11. Kusaykin, O. P. and A. Ye. Poyedynchuk, "Electromagnetic-wave diffraction by a chiral layer with a reflecting grating of dielectricfilled grooves," Microwave and Optical Tech. Letters, Vol. 33, 462-465, 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10351
12. Kusaykin, O. P. and A. Ye. Poyedynchuk, "Diffraction and spectral characteristics of a chiral layer," Int. J. of Infrared and Millimeter Waves, Vol. 26, 575-590, 2005. doi:10.1007/s10762-005-4074-x
13. Kondrat'ev, I. G. and A. I. Smirnov, "Some peculiarities of electromagnetics of anisotropic metamaterials," Izv. VUZov. Radiofizika, Vol. 48, 152-158, 2005.
14. Veselago, V. G., "Electromagnetics of substances with simultaneously negative Îµ and Î¼," Uspekhi Fiz. Nauk, Vol. 92, 517-526, 1967.
15. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, W. J. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic meso structures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773-4776, 1996. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.76.4773
16. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Tran. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798002
17. Melezhik, P. N., A. Ye. Poyedinchuk, Yu. A. Tuchkin, and N. P. Yashina, Periodic surface of materials with single and double negative parameters: absorption resonances, Proc. Int. Kharkiv Symp. Physics and Engineering of Microwaves, 311-313, 2004.
18. Granet, G., N. Ney, S. Panin, A. Poyedinchuk, and N. Yashina, Electromagnetic wave diffraction by periodic structures with metamaterials: surface wave resonance, Proc. JINA, 2004.
19. Shestopalov, V. P., L. N. Litvinenko, S. A. Masalov, and V. G. Sologub, The Wave Diffraction by Gratings, Kharkiv, Kh. Gos. University, 1973.
20. Shestopalov, V. P. and Yu. K. Sirenko, Dynamic Theory of Gratings, Kyiv, Naukova dumka, 1989.
21. Reichardt, H., "Ausstrahlungsbedigunden fur Wellengleichung," Abhandlungen aus dem Mathematischen Seminar UniversitÂ´ot, Vol. 24, 41-53, 1960.
22. Agranovich, V. M. and D. L. MilsSurface Polaritons. Electromagnetic Waves at a Medium Interface, Moscow, Nauka, 1985.