This paper presents an icosahedron-based spherical antenna array for phase mode processing. In this topology, the interelement spacing is almost identical. This feature is useful for threedimensional beam scanning and for reducing the effects of mutual coupling. The use of directional elements in this array for wideband synthesis is discussed, and our results show that the use of such elements can overcome the limitations of rapid variations in the amplitude of the far-field mode over a wide frequency band and enable such array to synthesize wideband patterns.
Ming Da Huang,
Soon Yim Tan,
"An Improved Spherical Antenna Array for Wideband Phase Mode Processing," ,
Vol. 66, 27-40, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06081101
1. Davies, D. E. N., The Handbook of Antenna Design, Ch. 12, Peter Peregrinus, Stevenage, 1983.
2. Davies, D. E. N., "A transformation between the phasing techniques required for linear and circular aerial arrays," Proc. IEE, Vol. 112, No. 11, 2041-2045, 1965.
3. Rahim, T. and D. E. N. Davies, "Effect of directional elements on the directional response of circular antenna arrays," Proc. IEE, Vol. 129, No. 1, 18-22, 1982.
4. Griffiths, H. D., N. Karavassilis, M. R. Jones, and D. E. N. Davies, "Broadband nulls from a circular array," Proc. 4th IEE Intl. Conf. Antennas Propag., No. 4, 1064-1076, 1985.
5. Jones, M. R. and H. D. Griffiths, "Broadband pattern synthesis from a circular array," Proc. 6th IEE Intl. Conf. Antennas Propag., No. 4, 55-59, 1989.
6. Griffiths, H. D. and R. Eiges, "Sectoral phase modes from circular antenna arrays," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, No. 17, 1581-1582, 1992.
7. Eiges, R. and H. D. Griffiths, "Mode-space spatial spectral estimation for circular arrays," IEE Proc. Radar, Vol. 141, No. 6, 300-306, 1994.
8. De Witte, E., H. D. Griffiths, and P. V. Brennan, "Phase mode processing for spherical antenna arrays," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 20, 1430-1431, 2003. doi:10.1049/el:20030922
9. Huang, M. D. and S. Y. Tan, "Spheroidal phase mode processing for antenna arrays," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 19, No. 11, 1431-1442, 2005.
10. Sengupta, D. L., T. M. Smith, and R. W. Larson, "Radiation characteristics of a spherical array of circularly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 16, No. 1, 2-7, 1968. doi:10.1109/TAP.1968.1139103
11. Tomasic, B., J. Turtle, and S. Liu, "A geodesic sphere phased array for satellite control and communication," Proc. URSI XXVIIth General Assembly, 2002.
12. Sipus, Z., N. Burum, and J. Bartolic, "Analysis of rectangular microstrip patch antennas on spherical structures," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 4, 276-280, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.10741
13. Verhaevert, J., E. Van Lil, and A. Van de Capelle, "Uniform spherical distributions for adaptive array applications," IEEE Vehic. Technol. Conf. (VTC'01 Spring), Vol. 1, No. 5, 98-102, 2005.
14. Yin, W. Y., L. W. Li, and M. S. Leong, "The near-and far-zone fields of periodic spherical arrays of dipole antennas on spherical chiral substrates," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 25, 239-260, 2000. doi:10.2528/PIER99061402
15. Hessel, A., Y.-L. Liu, and J. Shmoys, "Mutual admittance between two circular apertures on large conducting sphere," Radio Sci., Vol. 14, No. 1, 35-41, 1979.
16. Lee, K. C., "A genetic algorithm based direction finding technique with compensation of mutual coupling effects," J. Electromagn. Waves Appl., Vol. 17, No. 11, 1613-1624, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303772681479
17. Burum, N., Z. Sipus, and J. Bartolic, "Mutual coupling between spherical-rectangular microstrip antennas," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 5, 387-391, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.11389
18. De Witte, E., P. V. Brennan, and H. D. Griffiths, "Mutual coupling analysis of a spherical array antenna," IASTED Conf. on Antennas, No. 7, 324-329, 2005.
19. Tan, S. Y. and H. S. Tan, "Modelling and measurements of channel impulse response for an indoor wireless communication system," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, No. 5, 405-410, 1995.
20. Gheorghiu, A. and V. Dragomir, Geometry of Structural Forms, Applied Science, London, 1978.
21. Bondyopadhyay, P. K., "Geodesic sphere phased arrays for LEO satellite communications," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., No. 7, 206-209, 2000.
22. Tegmark, M., "An icosahedron-based method for pixelizing the celestial sphere," ApJ. Lett., Vol. 470, 81-84, 1996. doi:10.1086/310310