In this paper we investigate the effect of replacing the ordinary rectangular microstripp atches in a linear antenna array with fractal patch elements. It is shown that using fractal patches substantially decreases the Mutual Coupling between elements. The effects of fractal type, spacing between elements, feed point location and number of parasitic elements on array performance has been studied.
1. Fourikis, N., Advanced Array Systems, Applications and RF Technologies Phased Array Systems, Academic Press, Ascot Park, Australia, 2000.
2. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Rectangular slot antenna with patch stub for ultra wideband application and phased array systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 227-237, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04092701
3. Liu, Z. F., P. S. Kooi, L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A method of moments analysis of a microstripp hased array in three-layered structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 155-179, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00062201
4. Styeskal, H. and J. S. Herd, "Mutual coupling compensation in small array antennas," IEEE Trans. AP, Vol. 38, No. 12, 1971-1975, 1990.
5. Parfitt, A., D. Griffin, and P. Cole, "Mutual coupling between metal stripan tennas on finite size, electrically thick dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Ant. Prop., Vol. 41, No. 1, 108-115, 1993. doi:10.1109/8.210125
6. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: a novel antenna miniaturization technique and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 2002. doi:10.1109/74.997888
7. Arrighetti, W., P. De Cupis, and G. Gerosa, "Electromagnetic radiation from moving fractal Soueces: A plane-wave spectral approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 1-19, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05072001
8. Sadat, S., Compensation of mutual coupling in small phased array antennas, Proceedings of the ICEE2004, Vol. 1, 11-13, 2004.