In this paper, a number of physical phenomena taking place at the interaction of a crystallographically uniaxial ferrite resonator (UFR) with a semiconductor element, such as a Hall-effect transducer (HET), are analyzed. The UFR in this study is in a direct contact with an unpackaged HET. The interaction is studied in the vicinity of the ferromagnetic resonance in the UFR. The analytical model based on the combination of the problem of interaction of an arbitrarily orientated and shaped UFR with electromagnetic field of a multimode transmission line (waveguide) and thermal balance equations is proposed. A number of thermo/electro/magnetic phenomena that cause a voltage additional to that of the Hall-effect in the HET are analyzed. It is shown that this additional voltage is mainly due to Nernst-Ettingshausen thermo-magnetic effect. Some experimental results in 8-mm waveband are presented. This structure may serve as a frequency-selective primary transducer for detection and measurement of microwave (or millimeter-wave) power.
"Analysis of Interaction Between a Crystallographically Uniaxial Ferrite Resonator and a Hall-Effect Transducer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 74, 1-19, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07032703
1. Kitaytsev, A. A. and M. Y. Koledintseva, "Physical and technical bases of using ferromagnetic resonance in hexagonal ferrites for electromagnetic compatibility problems," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 41, No. 1, 15-21, 1999. doi:10.1109/15.748132
2. Koledintseva, M. Y., A. A. Kitaitsev, V. A. Konkin, and V. F. Radchenko, "Spectrum visualization and measurement of power parameters of microwave wide-band noise," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Measur., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1119-1124, 2004. doi:10.1109/TIM.2004.831178
3. Koledintseva, M. Y., "Modulation of mm-waves by an acoustically controlled monocrystalline hexagonal ferrite resonator," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 127-133, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777396
4. Bogdanov, G. B., "Theory of inertial nonlinear phenomena in ferrites at microwaves," Physical and Physico-Chemical Properties of Ferrites, 297-309, 1966.
5. Koledintseva, M. Y., "Frequency-selective power transducers, Hexagonal ferrite resonator — semiconductor element," Proc. Progress in Electromagnetic Research Symposium, 26-29, Cambridge, 2006.
6. Kuchis, E. V., Methods for Investigation of the Hall-effect, Sov. Radio, 1974.
7. Ibrahiem, A., C. Dale, W. Tabbara, and J. Wiart, "Analysis of the temperature increase linked to the power induced by RF source," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 23-46, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04062501
8. Haala, J. and W. Wiesbeck, "Modeling microwave and hybrid heating processes including heat radiation effects," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, 1346-1354, 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999149
9. Gurevich, A. G., "Ferrite ellipsoid in a waveguide," Radiotekhnika i Electronika (Radio Engineering and Electronics), No. 8, 780-790, 1963.
10. Gurevich, A. G. and G. A. Melkov, Magnetization Oscillations and Waves, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1996.
11. Koledintseva, M. Y., "Electromagnetic modeling of 3D periodic structure containing magnetized or polarized ellipsoids," Opto- Electronics Review, Vol. 14, No. 3, 253-262, 2006. doi:10.2478/s11772-006-0033-x
12. Vainshtein, L. A., Electromagnetic Waves, Moscow, 1988.
13. Koledintseva, M. Y., "M. Y. and A. A. Kitaitsev Modulation of millimeter waves by acoustically controlled hexagonal ferrite resonator," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 41, No. 8, 2368-2376, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2005.852951
14. Sihvola, A., Electromagnetic Mixing Formulas and Applications, 63-66, IEEE Electromagnetic Wave Series 47, Section 4.2.1, 63-66, 1999.
15. Koledintseva, M. Y., S. K. R. Chandra, R. E. Dubroff, and R. W. Schwartz, "Modeling of dielectric mixtures containing conducting inclusions with statistically distributed aspect ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 213-228, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06110903