The Sumudu transform is derived from the classical Fourier integral. Based on the mathematical simplicity of the Sumudu transform and its fundamental properties, Maxwell's equations are solved for transient electromagnetic waves propagating in lossy conducting media. The Sumudu transform of Maxwell's differential equations yields a solution directly in the time domain, which neutralizes the need to perform inverse Sumudu transform. Two sets of computer plots are generated for the solution of Maxwell's equations for transient electric field strength in lossy medium. A set of plots presents the Sumudu transform of the transient solution and another one presents inverse Sumudu transform. Both sets of plots reveal similar characteristics and convey equal information. Such property is referred to as the Sumudu reciprocity.
Malek G. Hussain,
Fethi Bin Muhammad Belgacern,
"Transient Solutions of Maxwell's Equations Based on Sumudu Transform," ,
Vol. 74, 273-289, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07050904
1. Watugala, G. K., "Sumudu transform—an integral transform to solve differential equations and control engineering problems," Inter. J. Math. Ed. Sci. Tech., Vol. 24, 35-42, 1993. doi:10.1080/0020739930240105
2. Watugala, G. K., "Sumudu transform a new integral transform to solve differential equations and control engineering problems," Mathematical Engineering in Industry, Vol. 6, No. 4, 319-329, 1998.
3. Belgacem, F. B. M., "Applications of the Sumudu transform to Indefinite Periodic Parabolic Equations," Proceedings of the International Conference on Nonlinear Problems and Aerospace Applications, 1-10, 2007.
4. Belgacem, F. B. M., "Introducing and analysing deeper Sumudu properties," Nonlinear Studies Journal, Vol. 13, No. 1, 23-41, 2006.
5. Belgacem, F. B. M. and A. A. Karaballi, "Sumudu transform fundamental properties investigations and applications," Journal of Applied Mathematics and Stochastic Analysis, 1-23, 2006. doi:10.1155/JAMSA/2006/91083
6. Belgacem, F. B. M., A. A Karaballi, and L. S. Kalla, "Analytical investigations of the Sumudu transform, and applications to integral production equations," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, No. 3, 103-118, 2003. doi:10.1155/S1024123X03207018
7. Asiru, M. A., "Sumudu transform and solution of integral equations of convolution type," Internat. J. Educ. Sci. Technol, Vol. 32, No. 6, 906-910, 2001. doi:10.1080/002073901317147870
8. Asiru, M. A., "Further properties of the Sumudu transform and its applications," Inter. J. Math. Ed. Sci. Tech., Vol. 33, No. 2, 441-449, 2002. doi:10.1080/002073902760047940
9. Asiru, M. A., "Applications of the Sumudu transform to discrete dynamicsystem," Inter. J. Math. Ed. Sci. Tech., Vol. 34, No. 6, 944-949, 2003. doi:10.1080/00207390310001615499
10. Weerakoon, S., "Application of Sumudu transform to partial differential equations," Inter. J. Math. Ed. Sci. Tech., Vol. 25, No. 2, 277-283, 1994. doi:10.1080/0020739940250214
11. Weerakoon, S., "Complex inversion formula for Sumudu transform," Inter. J. Math. Ed. Sci. Tech., Vol. 29, No. 4, 618-621, 1998.
12. Stratton, J. A., Electomagnetic Theory, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, 1941.
13. Kong, J. A., Maxwell Equations, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, MA, 2002.
14. Harmuth, H. F. and M. G. M. Hussain, Propagation of Electromagnetic Signals, World Scientific, Singapore, 1994.
15. Zhou, X., "On independence, completeness of Maxwell's equations and uniqueness theorems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 117-134, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06061302
16. Hussain, M. G. M., "Mathematical model for the electromagnetic conductivity of lossy materials," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 2, 271-279, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054497311
17. Shen, J., "Time harmonic electromagnetic fields in an biaxial anisotropic medium," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 9, No. 6, 753-767, 2005. doi:10.1163/1569393054069082
18. El-Shandwily, M. E., "Solutions of Maxwell's equations for general nonperiodic waves in lossy media," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 30, No. 4, 577-582, 1988. doi:10.1109/15.8774
19. Thomson, W. T., Laplace Transformation Theory and Engineering Applications, Prentice-Hall Engineering Design Series, Prentice-Hall, Inc., New York, 1950.
20. Watugala, G. K., "Sumudu transform for functions of two variables," Mathematical Engineering in Industry, Vol. 8, No. 4, 293-302, 2002.