Compact spiral artificial magnetic conductors (AMC) have been investigatedin this paper. First, single andd ouble spirals are examinedto achieve an in-phase reflection at a lower frequency comparedto a conventional patch element of the same size. However, these two designs generate a large cross polarization. The cross polarization affects the operating frequency and bandwidth. In order to eliminate the cross polarization effect, a four-arm spiral element is introduced. This geometry does not generate a cross polarization, and an operating frequency that is 49.45% lower than the reference patch element has been achieved.
1. Yang, R., Y. Xie, P. Wang, and andL. Li, "Microstrip antennas with left-handed materials substrates," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 9, 1221-1233, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442908
2. Grzegorczyk, T. M. andJ. A. Kong, "Review of left-handed metamaterials: Evolution from theoretical andn umerical studies to potential applications," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 14, 2053-2064, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322620
3. Sui, Q., C. Li, L. L. Li, and andF. Li, "Experimental study of λ/4 monopole antennas in a left-handed meta-material," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 281-293, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04011202
4. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04070701
5. Yang, F., V. Demir, D. A. Elsherbeni, and andA. Z. Elsherbeni, "Enhancement of printedd ipole antennas characteristics using semi-EBG groundplane," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 8, 993-1006, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930330
6. Yang, F. andY. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG groundplane for low profile wire antenna ap plications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2691-2703, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817559
7. Nakano, H., K. Hitosugi, N. Tatsuzawa, D. Togashi, H. Mimaki, and andJ. Yamauchi, "Effects on the radiation characteristics of using a corrugatedreflector with a helical antenna andan electromagnetic band-gap reflector with a spiral antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 1, 191-199, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840755
8. Abedin, M. F. and M. Ali, "Effects of EBG reflection phase profiles on the input impedance and bandwidth of ultra-thin directional dipoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3664-3672, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858584
9. Yang, F. andY. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: a low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
10. Yang, L., M. Fan, and andZ. Feng, "A spiral Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays," APMC 2005Pr oceedings, Vol. 3, No. 12, 2005.
11. Yao, Y., X. Wang, and andZ. Feng, A novel dual-bandcompact Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) structure and its application in multi-antennas, IEEE Antennas Propag. Society International Symposium, No. 7, 1943-1946, 2006.
12. Hosseini, M., A. Pirhadi, and M. Hakkak, "Design of a nonuniform high impedance surface for a low profile antenna," J. of Electromagn. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, No. 11, 1455-1464, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274291
13. Poilasne, G., "Antennas on high-impedance ground planes: On the importance of the antenna isolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 41, 237-255, 2003.
14. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopolus, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798001
15. McVay, J. andN. Engheta, "High impedance metamaterial surfaces using Hilbert-curve inclusions," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 3, 130-132, 2004. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2003.822571
16. Simovski, C. R., P. Maagt, and andI. Melchakova, "High-impedance surfaces having stable resonance with respect to polarization and incidence angle," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 908-914, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.842598
17. Hiranandani, M. A., A. B. Yakovlev, and A. A. Kishk, Artificial magnetic conductors realised by frequency-selective surfaces on a grounded dielectric slab for antenna applications, IEE Proc.- Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 5, 487-493, 2006.
18. Yang, F., J. Chen, Q. Rui, and andA. Elsherbeni, "A simple and efficient FDTD/PBC algorithm for periodic structure analysis," Radio Science, Vol. 42, No. 4, 2007. doi:10.1029/2006RS003526