A novel design of dual circularly polarized antenna is proposed. By etching cross slots on the patch, circular polarization (CP) is achieved. The patch is fed by two L-strips which provide wide impedance bandwidth and high isolation level. Polarization diversity between left-hand circular polarization (LHCP) and right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) is provided by switching the two ports and both LHCP and RHCP signals can be received simultaneously. The experimental results show that the 3 dB axial ratio CP bandwidth of the proposed design is increased two times, as compared to a referential CP antenna fed by L-strip. The details of experimental results for the proposed design are presented and discussed.
3. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Bandwidth enhansment of microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 311-317, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06053001
4. Pirhadi, A., M. Hakkak, and F. Keshmiri, "Using electromagnetic bandgap superstrate to enhance the bandwidth of probe-FED microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 215-230, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06021801
5. Luk, K. M., C. H. Lai, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband L-probe feed patch antenna with dual-band operation for GSM/PCS base stations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 35, 1123-1124, 1999. doi:10.1049/el:19990819
6. Clian, W. K., C. H. Lo, and K. M. Luk, "Circularly polarized patch antenna array using proximity-coupled L-strip line feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, 1814-1815, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19941261
7. Tu, T.-C., C.-M. Li, and C.-C. Chiu, "The performance of polarization diversity schemes in outdoor micro cells," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 175-188, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04122901
8. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Design of compact reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antennas using varactor diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 197-205, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05120101
9. Chen, Y. B., Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Polarization reconfigurable CPW-FED square slot antenna using pin diodes," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 1233-1235, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22476
10. Chen, Y.-B., T.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1391-1398, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276820
11. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with frequency and polarization diversity functions," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, 96-98, 2002.
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, 96-98, 2002. doi:10.1109/7260.989863
13. Aloni, E. and R. Kastner, "Analysis of a dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna fed by crossed slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.309996
14. Zhang, M.-T., Y.-B. Chen, Y.-C. Jiao, and F.-S. Zhang, "Dual circularly polarized antenna of compact structure for RFID application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 1895-190, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322611
15. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Comparison of several novel annular-ring microstrip path antennas for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1427-1438, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274336
16. Liu, W. C. and P.-C. Kao, "Design of a probe-fed Hshaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 7, 857-864, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939307780748986