Based on both the modified Rytov method and the altitude-dependent model of the ITU-R slant atmospheric turbulence structure constant, the uniform model of scintillation index considering inner- and outer-scales is derived form weak to strong fluctuation regions with Gaussian beam propagation on the slant path, and can be degenerated to the result of the horizontal path with atmospheric structure constant is a fixed value. The numerical conclusions indicate the smaller wavelength, the inner-scale has a stronger impact on scintillation than outer-scale. But, in strong fluctuation, the outerscale effect is prominence. Finally, the numerical results are compared and verified with the experimental data.
1. Tatarskii, V. I., Wave Propagation in a Turbulent Medium, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1961.
2. Chernov, L. A., Wave Propagation in a Random Medium, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1960.
3. Ishimaru, A., Wave Propagation and Scattering in Random Media, Academic Press, New York, 1978.
4. Jakeman, E., "Enhanced backscattering through a deep random phase screen," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 5, 1638-1648, 1988.
5. Hill, R. J., "Theory of saturation of optical scintillation by strong turbulence, plane-wave variance and covariance and sphericalwave covariance," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 72, 212-222, 1981.
6. Hill, R. J. and S. F. Clifford, "Theory of saturation of optical scintillation by strong turbulence for arbitrary refractive-index spectra," J. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 71, 675-686, 1981.
7. Andrews, L. C., et al., "Theory of optical scintillation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 16, 1417-1429, 1999. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.16.001417
8. Guo, L.-X., Z.-M. Luo, and Z.-S. Wu, "A study of optical scintillation in the atmospheric turbulence by using modification of the Rytov method," Chin of Electronic, Vol. 10, 300-304, 2001.
9. Wu, Z.-S., et al., "Study on scintillation of optical wave propagation in the slant path through the atmospheric turbulence," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 17, 254-268, 2002.
10. Fante, R. L., Electromagnetic beam propagation in turbulent media, Proceedingsof the IEEE, Vol. 63, 1669-1688, 1975.
11. Fante, R. L., "Inner-scale size effect on the scintillations of light in the turbulent atmosphere," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 73, 277-281, 1983.
12. Andrews, L. C., et al., "Theory of optical scintillation: Gaussian-beam wave model," WavesR andom Media, Vol. 11, 271-291, 2001. doi:10.1088/0959-7174/11/3/306
13. Consortini, A., et al., "Inner scale effect on irradiance variance measured for weak-to-strong atmospheric scintillation," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 10, 2354-2362, 1993.
14. Miller, W. B., J. C. Ricklin, and L. C. Andrews, "Effect of the refractive index spectral model on the irradiance variance of a Gaussian beam," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 11, 2719-2726, 1994.
15. Hopen, C. Y. and L. C. Andrews, "Optical scintillation of a Gaussian beam in moderate-to-strong irradiance fluctuations," SPIE, Vol. 4, 142-150, 1999.
16. Ren, K., et al., "Experimental investigation of relationship between the object and image distance," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 286-288, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061211014939
17. Jiao, C.-Q. and J.-R. Luo, Beam-wave Coupling in a doublebeam gyrotron traveling wave amplifier, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 3, 2203-2206, 2007.
18. Song, K. S., et al., "Inverse data modeling for the optical properties of the entropic lake from reflectance spectra in NanhuLak e of Changchun, China," J. of Electromagn. Wavesand Appl., Vol. 21, No. 7, 889-898, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780748959
19. Jandieri, G. V., et al., "Model computations of angular power spectra for anisotropic absorptive turbulent magnetized plasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 307-328, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07013103
20. Bhunek, I. and P. Fiala, "Turbulence modeling of air flow in the heat accumulator layer," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 662-666, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060901083329
21. Palmer, R. D. and L. Cheong, Review of atmospheric boundary layer observations using the turbulent eddy profiler, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 8, 2006.
22. Kuramoto, A., A. Hori, and C. Fujieda, "Laser speckle imaging of a finger by scattered light optic," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 832-835, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061205111423
23. Yan, Y. and J. G. Xin, Beam propagation in laser scattering communication, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 3, 1191-1193, 2007.
24. Talhi, R., A. Leberere, F. Li, and F. Csten, Prediction of some ionospheric effects on radio-waves propagation, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 8, 2007.
25. Li, F., F. Lefeuvre, M. Parrot, and R. Talhi, Low latitude inonspheric turbulence observed by the micro-satellite DEMETER, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 8, 2007.
26. Sarkat, S. K., Wave propagation phenomena in troposphere over the Indian subcontinent, PIERS Proceeding, Vol. '' S Proceeding, No. 8, 2006.
27. Cossmann, S. M. and E. J. Rothwell, "Transient reflection of plane waves from a lorentz medium half space," J. of Electromagn. Wavesand Appl., Vol. 21, No. 10, 1289-1302, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239456
28. Nyobe, E. N. and E. Pemha, "Propagation of a laser beam through a plane and free turbulent heated air flow: Determination of the stochastic characteristics of the laser beam random direction and some experimental results," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 832-835, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061205111423
29. Zhou, D. K., "Monitouring the earth, ocean, and atmosphere with hyperspectral remote sensors," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 694-697, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060901104137
30. Georgiadou, E. M., A. D. Panagopoulos, and J. D. Kanellopoulos, "Millimeter wave pulse propagation through distorted raindrops for fixed wireless access channels," J. of Electromagn. Wavesand Appl., Vol. 20, 1235-1248, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306777442953
31. ``On propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of space-to-earth and earth-to-space optical communication systems, '' ITU-R. Document 3J/31-E, "31. On propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of space-to-earth and earth-to-space optical communication systems," ITU-R. Document 3J/31-E, No. 7, 31, 2001.
32. Andrews, L. C., et al., "Scintillation model for a satellite communication link at large zenith angles," Optical Engineering, Vol. 39, 3272-3280, 2000. doi:10.1117/1.1327839