The paper presents the electromagnetic (EM) wave propagation in cylindrical optical fibers with helical windings under slow- and fast-wave considerations. Field components are deduced for both the cases, and also, the dispersion relations are obtained by applying the boundary conditions, as modified by the presence of conducting helical windings. Two special cases are considered corresponding to the values of the helical pitch angle as 0◦ and 90◦. A comparison of the dispersion relations is presented.
1. Snyder, A. W. and J. D. Love, Optical Waveguide Theory, 311-315, 248- 255, 311-315, Chapman and Hall, London, 1983.
2. Cherin, A. H., An Introduction to Optical Fibers, 45-98, 45-98, McGraw- Hill, New York, 1987.
3. Dyott, R. B., "Cutoff of the first order modes in elliptical dielectric waveguide: An experimental approach," Electron. Lett., Vol. 26, 1721-1723, 1990. doi:10.1049/el:19901099
4. Choudhury, P. K., P. Khastgir, S. P. Ojha, and L. K. Singh, "Analysis of the guidance of electromagnetic waves by a deformed planar waveguide with parabolic cylindrical boundaries," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 71, 5685-5688, 1992. doi:10.1063/1.350502
5. Choudhury, P. K., P. Khastgir, S. P. Ojha, and K. S. Ramesh, "An exact analytical treatment of parabolically deformed planar waveguides near cutoff," Optik, Vol. 95, 147-151, 1994.
6. Choudhury, P. K., "On the modal behaviour of rectangular and deformed planar waveguides," Microw. and Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 10, 333-335, 1995. doi:10.1002/mop.4650100609
7. Choudhury, P. K., "On the preliminary study of a dielectric guide having a Piet Hein geometry," Ind. J. Phys., Vol. 71B, 191-196, 1997.
8. Choudhury, P. K. and O. N. Singh, "Some multilayered and other unconventional lightguides," Electromagnetic Fields in Unconventional Structures and Materials, 289-357, 2000.
9. Choudhury, P. K. and A. Nair, "On the analysis of field patterns in chirofibers," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, 2277-2286, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134470
10. Pierce, J. R., Traveling Wave Tubes, Vol. 10. Pierce, 229-230, 229-230, D. Van Nostrand Co., NJ, 1950.
11. Singh, U. N., O. N. Singh II, P. Khastgir, and K. K. Dey, "Dispersion characteristics of a helically cladded step-index optical fiber: An analytical study," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 12, 1273-1278, 1995.
12. Kumar, D. and O. N. Singh II, "Some special cases of propagation characteristics of an elliptical step-index fiber with a conducting helical winding on the core-cladding boundary — An analytical treatment," Optik, Vol. 112, 561-566, 2001.
13. Kumar, D. and O. N. Singh II, "Modal characteristic equation and dispersion curves for an elliptical step-index fiber with a conducting helical winding on the core-cladding boundary — An analytical study," J. Light. Tech., Vol. 20, 1416-1424, 2002. doi:10.1109/JLT.2002.800799
14. Kumar, D. and O. N. Singh II, "An analytical study of the modal characteristics of annular step-index waveguide with elliptical cross section with two conducting helical windings on the two boundary surfaces between the guiding and the non-guiding regions," Optik, Vol. 113, 193-196, 2002.
15. Kumar, D., "A preliminary ground work for the study of the characteristic dispersion equation for a slightly elliptical sheath helix slow wave structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, 1033-1044, 2004. doi:10.1163/1569393042955441
16. Kumar, D., P. K. Choudhury, and F. A. Rahman, "Towards the characteristic dispersion relation for step-index hyperbolic waveguide with conducting helical winding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 71, 251-275, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07030504
17. Verma, K. K. and D. Kumar, The Elements of Vector Calculus, AITBS Publisher, New Delhi, India, 2005.
18. Lim, M. H., S. C. Yeow, P. K. Choudhury, and D. Kumar, "On the dispersion characteristics of tapered core dielectric optical fibers," J. Electromag. Waves and Appl., Vol. 20, 1597-1609, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292417
19. Panin, S., P. D. Smith, and A. Y. Poyedinchuk, "Elliptical to linear polarization trans-formation by a grating on a chiral medium," J. Electromag. Waves and Appl., Vol. 211885-1889, 211885-1889, 2007.
20. Dong, H. and P. Shum, "Single-end measurement of polarization mode dispersion in optical fibers with polarization-dependent loss," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 6, 842-846, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061005224120
21. Mei, C., M. Hasamovic, J. K. Lee, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from an arbitrarily shaped three dimensional bianisotropic body," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 5, 680-684, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS061005231254
23. MingtsuHo, "Simulation of electromagnetic pulse propagation through dielectric slabs with finite conductivity using characteristic based method," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 609-613, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060825013017
24. Boix, R. R., F. L. Mesa, and F. Medina, "Closed form expressions for laye-red media greens functions that are reliable both in the near field and in the far field," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 573-575, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060807124124
25. Huang, X. L., L. Xia, and H. Y. Chen, "Waveguide analysis using multiresolution time domain method," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 6, 559-561, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS060719113106
26. Nickel, J., V. S. Serov, and H. W. Schurma, "Some elliptic traveling wave solutions to the Novikov-veselov equation," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 5, 519-523, 2006.
27. Godin, Y. A. and S. Molchanov, "On the intermittency of the light propagation in disordered optical materials," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 53-56, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050906175713
28. Suzuki, T., K. Sugimoto, Y. Yamagami, T. Negishi, and Y. Watanabe, "Local dielectric measurement by waveguide type microscopic aperture probe," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 13-14, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050907144847
29. Barabanenko, Y. N. and M. Yu. Barabanenkov, "Energy invariants of composition rules for scattering and transfer matrices of propagation and evanescent electromagnetic waves in dielectric structures," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 10-12, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050906125824