This paper aims at finding an algorithm featuring good estimation performance and easy hardware implementation for tracking airborne target hidden in blind Doppler. Incorporating the current statistical model which is effective in dealing with the maneuvering motions that most blind Doppler issues are caused, a current statistical model particle filter (CSM-PF) is presented in this paper for tracking airborne targets hidden in blind Doppler. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed CSM-PF shows similar performance with the interacting multiple model particle filter (IMM-PF) in terms of tracking accuracy and track continuity, but it avoids the difficulty of model selection for maneuvering targets. In addition, when hardware implementation is considered, the proposed CSM-PF has lower processing latency, fewer resource utilization and lower hardware complexity than the IMM-PF.
1. Garenaux, K., T. Merlet, and M. Alouini, "Recent breakthroughs in RF photonics for radar systems," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 22, No. 2, 3-8, 2007. doi:10.1109/MAES.2007.323292
2. Chan, Y. K. and S. Y. Lim, "Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) signal generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 269-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102301
3. Wang, C. J., B. Y. Wen, Z. G. Ma, W. D. Yan, and X. J. Huang, "Measurement of river surface current with FWCW radar system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 375-386, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779367350
4. Narayanan, R. M. and C. Kumru, "Implementation of fully polarimetric random noise radar," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 125-128, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.844653
5. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Improving the performance of an antenna array by using radar absorbing cover," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 129-138, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112503
6. Wang, X., X. Guan, X. Ma, D. Wang, and Y. Su, "Calculating the poles of complex radar targets," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2065-2076, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322657
7. Shi, Z. G., S. Qiao, K. S. Chen, W. Z. Cui, W. Ma, T. Jiang, and L. X. Ran, "Ambiguity functions of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 1-14, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072001
8. Hebeish, A. A., M. A. Elgamel, R. A. Abdelhady, and A. A. Abdelaziz, "Factors affecting the performance of the radar absorbant textile materials of different types and structus," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 219-226, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121702
9. Liu, H. W., T. Yoshimasu, and L. L. Sun, "CPW bandstop filter using periodically loaded slot resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 352-353, 2006. doi:10.1049/el:20060230
10. Ghosh, S. and A. Chakrabarty, "Estimation of equivalent circuit of loaded trans-receive antenna system and its time domain studies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 89-103, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777314
11. Mahanti, R. G. K., A. Chakrabarty, and S. Das, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable array antennas with fixed dynamic range," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 97-106, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391768
12. Capineri, L., D. Daniels, P. Falorni, O. Lopera, and C. Windsor, "Estimation of relative permittivity of shallow soils by using the ground penetrating radar response from different buried targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 63-71, 2008.
13. Prasad, N. N. S. S. R. K., V. Shameem, U. B. Desai, and S. N. Merchant, "Improvement in target detection performance of pulse coded Doppler radar based on multicarrier modulation with fast Fourier transform (FFT)," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 151, No. 1, 11-17, 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20040119
14. Xue, W. and X. W. Sun, "Target detection of vehicle volume detecting radar based on Wigner-Hough transform," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 11, 1513-1523, 2007.
15. Rajabi, M., M. Mohammadirad, and N. Komjani, "Simulation of ultra wideband microstrip antenna using EPML-TLM," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 115-124, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07110802
16. Liu, H. W., S. Ishikawa, A. An, S. Kurachi, and T. Yoshimasu, "Miniaturized microstrip meander-line antenna with very highpermittivity substrate for sensor applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 2438-2440, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22798
17. Guo, Y. C., L. Xu, and X. W. Shi, "Improved loading profile for GPR antenna applicatioins," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1367-1378, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783239438
18. Gordon, N. and B. Ristic, "Tracking airborne targets occasionally hidden in the blind Doppler," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 12, 383-393, 2002. doi:10.1006/dspr.2002.0439
19. Zaugg, D. A., A. A. Samuel, D. E. Waagen, and H. A. Schmitt, "A combined particle/Kalman filter for improved tracking of beam aspect targets," IEEE Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 535-538, 2003. doi:10.1109/SSP.2003.1289512
20. Du, S. C., Z. G. Shi, W. Zang, and K. S. Chen, "Using interacting multiple model particle filter to track airborne targets hidden in blind Doppler," Journal of Zhejiang University Science A, Vol. 8, No. 8, 1277-1282, 2007. doi:10.1631/jzus.2007.A1277
22. Doucet, A., N. D. Freitas, and N. Gordon, Sequential Monte Carlo Methods in Practice, Springer, New York, USA, 2001.
23. Arulampalam, M. S., S. Maskell, N. Gordon, and T. Clapp, "A tutorial on particle filters for online nonlinear/non-Gaussian Bayesian tracking," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 50, No. 2, 174-188, 2002. doi:10.1109/78.978374
24. Ristic, B., S. Arulampalam, and N. Gordon, Beyond the Kalman Filter: Particle Filter for Tracking Applications, Artech House, Boston, 2004.
25. Zang, W., Z. G. Shi, S. C. Du, and K. S. Chen, "Novel roughening method for reentry vehicle tracking using particle filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1969-1981, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152975
26. Hong, S. H., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Novel roughening algorithm and hardware architecture for bearings-only tracking using particle filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 411-422, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308784160857
27. Singer, R. A., "Estimating optimal tracking filter performance for manned maneuvering targets," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 4, 473-483, 1970.
28. Li, X. R. and V. P. Jilkov, "Survey of maneuvering target tracking --- Part I: dynamic models," IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 1333-1364, 2003.
29. Mo, L. B., et al., "Unbiased converted measurements for tracking," IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 3, 1023-1027, 1998. doi:10.1109/7.705921
30. Pitt, M. K. and N. Shephard, "Filtering via simulation: Auxiliary particle filter," Journal of the American Statistical Assocation, Vol. 94, No. 446, 590-599, 1999. doi:10.2307/2670179
31. Gordon, N. J., D. J. Salmond, and A. F. M. Smith, "Novel approach to nonlinear/non-Gaussian Bayesian state estimation," IEE Proceeding-F, Vol. 140, No. 2, 107-113, 1993.
32. Bolic, M., P. M. Djuric, and S. Hong, "Resamping algorithms for particle filters: A computational complexity perspective," EURASIP Journal of Applied Signal Processing, No. 15, 2267-2277, 2004. doi:10.1155/S1110865704405149