To enhance the flexibility of the parallel FDTD for the analysis of the bio-electromagnetic problems, a universal and efficient interpolation technique based on the super-absorbing boundary principle is presented, which can improve the interpolation accuracy and ensure the stability of the parallel FDTD iterative procedure. Using this technique, we calculate the SAR (Specific Absorption Rate) values in the head for two different human-body postures. In the iteration procedure of parallel FDTD, the data are exchanged between adjacent subdomains with the interpolation technique. Thus, the meshes can be created in local coordinates, which makes it convenient to build the human model in the different posture and use position for FDTD computing. The results show that the change of human-body posture only brings about a slight decrease (within 6.8%) in the peak SAR values, whereas the SAR values in the brain, as a critical organ, are sensitive to the change of the body posture, and it increases by 28% at maximum for the 1-g averaged peak SAR.
1. Liu, W.-N., J.-K. Xiao, S. Zhang, and Y. Li, "A novel PBG planar inverted-F antenna for wearable system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 5, 615-622, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776137737
2. Chen, Y. B., X. F. Liu, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "A frequency reconfigurable CPW-fed slot antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1673-1678, 2007.
3. Peng, L. and C. -L. Ruan, "A microstrip fed monopole patch antenna with three stubs for dual-band WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2359-2369, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134263
4. El-Fishawy, N., M. Shokair, and W. Saad, "Proposed Mac protocol versus IEEE 802.15.3a for multimedia transmission over UWB networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 189-206, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07111812
5. Min, K.-S., M.-S. Kim, C.-K. Park, and M. D. Vu, "Design for PCS antenna based on Wibro-Mimo," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 77-83, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07111810
6. Chen, Y.-L., C. Ruan, and L. Peng, "A novel ultra-wideband bow-tie slot antenna in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 101-108, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112302
7. Kouveliotis, N. K. and C. Capsalis, "Prediction of the SAR level induced in a dielectric sphere by a thin wire dipole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 321-336, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07112804
8. Khalatbari, S., D. Sardari, A. A. Mirzaee, and H. A. Sadafi, "Calculating SAR in two models of the human head exposed to mobile phones radiations at 900 and 1800 MHz," PIERS Online, Vol. 2, No. 1, 104-109, 2006. doi:10.2529/PIERS050905190653
9. Keshvari, J. and S. Lang, "Comparison of radio frequency energy absorption in ear and eye region of children and adults at 900, 1800 and 2450 MHz," Physics in Medicine and Biology, Vol. 50, 4355-4369, 2005. doi:10.1088/0031-9155/50/18/008
10. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR applications: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 227-236, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777224
11. Ding, W., et al., "Study on electromagnetic problems involving combinations of arbitrarily oriented thin-wire antennas and inhomogeneous dielectric objects with a hybrid MoM-FDTD method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 11, 1519-1533, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274255
12. Wang, M. Y., et al., "FDTD study on scatterng of metallic column covered by double-negative metamaterial," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 1905-1914, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783152777
13. Fayedeh, H., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "An improvment for FDTD analysis of thin-slot problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 15-25, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07102907
14. Ali, M. and S. Sanyal, "FDTD analysis of rectangular waveguide in receiving mode as EMI sensors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 291-303, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07112901
15. Wang, J.-Q., O. Fujiwara, S. Watanabe, and Y. Yamanaka, "Computation with a parallel FDTD system of human-body effect on electromagnetic absorption for portable telephones," IEEE Trans. on MTT, Vol. 52, No. 1, 53-58, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.821232
16. Chen, X., D. Liang, and K. Huang, "Microwave imaging 3-D buried objects using parallel genetic algorithm combined with FDTD technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1761-1774, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292264
17. Guiffaut, C. and K. Mahdjoubi, "A parallel FDTD algorithm using the MPI library," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 2, 94-103, 2001. doi:10.1109/74.924608
18. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method with windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 85-112, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07041905
19. Zhou, X.-M., S.-L. Lai, and X.-L. Ni, "Numerical simulation on system of helical antenna handset and human head model," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 19, No. 3, 329-332, 2004.
20. Yee, K. S., J. S. Chen, and A. H. Chang, "Conformal finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) with overlapping grids," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 40, No. 9, 1068-1075, 1992.
21. Liu, Y., Z. Liang, and Z. Q. Yang, "A novel FDTD approach featuring two-level parallelization on PC cluster," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 393-408, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120703
22. Xu, F. and W. Hong, "Domain decomposition FDTD algorithm for the analysis of a new type of E-plane sectorial horn with aperture field distribution optimization," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 52, No. 2, 426-434, 2004.
23. Mei, K. K. and J. Fang, "Superabsorption: A method to improve absorbing boundary conditions," IEEE Trans. on AP, Vol. 40, No. 9, 1001-1010, 1992.
24. Gabriel, C., Compilation of the dielectric properties of body tissues at RF and microwave frequencies, Brooks Air Force, AL/OE-TR-1996-0037, San Antonio, TX, 1996.
25., Protocol for the computational comparison of the SAM phantom to anatomically correct models of the human head, IEEE SCC34/SC2/WG2, 2004.
26. Liu, Y., Z. Q. Yang, and Z. Liang, Parallel computation strategy for the FDTD algorithm applied to HPM problems, Proceedings of the First Euro-Asian Pulsed Power Conference, Vol. 2, 717-720, Chengdu, China, 2006.
27. Zhou, X.-M. and S.-L. Lai, "Numerical simulation of the interaction between the three dimension rotated human head model and handset monopole antenna," Journal of South China University of Technology (Natural Science Edition), Vol. 32, No. 5, 30-33, 2004.