This paper presents an effective modeling methodology for Ultra-wideband (UWB) antennas. The methodology is based on augmenting an existing narrow-band model with a macro-model while simultaneously perturbing component values of the narrow-band model. The narrow-band model is an empirical-based circuit and the macro-model described by rational functions is determined using data fitting approaches. The perturbation of component values of the narrow-band model is achieved by adjustments in SPICE. This method is demonstrated on the example of a 2.5 cm dipole antenna and a circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems. Simulation results show that this methodology is effective over a wide bandwidth and suitable for modeling most UWB antennas.
"An Equivalent Circuit Modeling Method for Ultra-Wideband Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 82, 433-445, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08032303
1. Chen, F. C. and W. C. Chew, "Time-domain ultra-wideband microwave imaging radar system," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, 313-331, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322235842
2. Fan, Z., L. X. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Source pulse optimizations for UWB radio systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 1535-1550, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779274309
3. Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems , FCC Notice of Proposed Rule Making, ET-Docket 98-153.
4. Liu, X., B.-Z. Wang, S. Xiao, and J. Deng, "Performance of impulse radio UWB communications based on time reversal technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 401-413, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102205
5. Liu, S. F., X. W. Shi, and S. D. Liu, "Study on the impedance-matching technique for high-temperature superconducting microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 281-284, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082502
6. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR applications: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, 227-236, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777224
7. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, L., M. Fardis, A. Abolghasemi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Frequency and time domain characteristic of a novel notch frequency UWB antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 337-348, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120202
8. Hamid, M. and R. Hamid, "Equivalent circuit of dipole antenna of arbitrary length," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1695-1696, Nov. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.650083
9. Long, B., P. Werner, and D. Werner, "A simple broadband dipole equivalent circuit model," IEEE APS Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1046-1049, Jul. 2000.
10. Gerrits, J., A. Hutter, J. Ayadi, and J. Farserotu, "Equivalent circuit of dipole antenna of arbitrary length," Proceedings of the 2003 International Workshop on Ultra Wideband Systems, Vol. 1, Oulu, Finland, June 2-5 2003.
11. Rambabu, K., M. Ramesh, and A. T. Kalghatgi, "Broadband equivalent circuit of a dipole antenna," IEE Proc.-Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, 100-103, Jan. 1993.
12. Nie, X. C., N. Yuan, L. W. Li, and Y. B. Gan, "Accurate modeling of monopole antennas in shielded enclosures with apertures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 251-262, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07100403
13. Tang, T. G., Q. M. Tieng, and M. W. Gunn, "Equivalent circuit of a dipole antenna using frequency-independent lumped elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 3, 391-393, Dec. 1999.
14. Wang, S., A. Niknejad, and R. Brodersen, "Circuit modeling methodology for UWB omnidirectional small antennas," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 24, No. 4, 871-877, Apr. 2006. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2005.863873
15. Sijher, T. S. and A. A. Kishk, "Antenna modeling by infinitesimal dipoles using genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 52, 225-254, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER04081801
16. Gustafsson, M. and S. Nordebo, "Bandwidth, Q factor, and resonance models of antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 62, 1-20, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06033003
17. Marrocco, G., M. Migliorelli, and M. Ciattaglia, "Simultaneous time-frequency modeling of ultra-wideband antennas by two-dimensional hermite processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 317-337, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06121901
18. Shen, Z. and R. H. MacPhie, "Theoretical Modeling of Multi-Sleeve Monopole Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, No. 54, 31, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00041802
19. Gustavsen, B. and A. Semlyen, "Rational approximation of frequency domain responses by vector fitting," IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol. 14, No. 3, 1052-1061, Jul. 1999. doi:10.1109/61.772353
21. Kolstad, J., C. Blevins, J. Dunn, and A. Weisshaar, "A new circuit augmentation method for modeling of interconnects and passive components," IEEE Trans. Advanced Packaging, Vol. 20, No. 1, 67-77, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TADVP.2005.862643
22. Liang, J., C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.858598
23. Joardar, S. and A. B. Bhattacharya, "A novel method for testing ultra wideband antenna-feeds on radio telescope dish antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 41-59, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07120402
24. Joardar, S., M. Jaint, V. Bandewar, and A. B. Bhattacharya, "An innovative portable ultra wide band stereophonic radio direction finder,", Vol. 78, 255-264, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07090102