Inspired by the requirement of proper link simulation methods in performance analysis of communication systems, we present in this paper a recipe for channel implementation in simulation environments. Our focus here is the indoor applications of wireless local-area networks (WLANs). Specifically, we describe a procedure that beginning with statistical description of the channel impulse response leads to an efficient multi-input multi-output (MIMO) channel simulating method for arbitrary antenna configurations at both ends. A sample set of distributions for model parameters are also provided at the 5-GHz band, which is the operating frequency band of IEEE 802.11a, HIPERLAN/2, and the emerging IEEE 802.11n standards, and the corresponding software implementation of the simulator is addressed for public use.
"A New Link-Level Simulation Procedure of Wideband MIMO Radio Channel for Performance Evaluation of Indoor WLANs
," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 83, 13-24, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040502
1. Abouda, A. A. and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of mutual coupling on capacity of mimo wireless channels in high snr scenario," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 27-40, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06072803
2. Abouda, A. A., H. M. El-Sallabi, and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of antenna array geometry and ula azimuthal orientation on mimo channel properties in urban city street grid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 257-278, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06050801
3. Noori, N. and H. Oraizi, "Evaluation of mimo channel capacity in indoor environments using vector parabolic equation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 4, 13-25, 2008.
4. Hu, C.-F., J.-D. Xu, N. Li, and L. Zhang, "Indoor accurate RCS measurement technique on UHF band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 279-289, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011402
5. Xiao, S., J. Chen, B.-Z. Wang, and X.-F. Liu, "A numerical study on time-reversal electromagnetic wave for indoor ultra-wideband signal transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 329-342, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07082501
6. Martinez, D., F. Las-Heras, and R. G. Ayestaran, "Fast methods for evaluating the electric field level in 2D-indoor environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 247-255, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06122105
7. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090801
8. Talbi, L. and G. Y. Delisle, "Finite difference time domain characterization of indoor radio propagation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 251-275, 1996.
9. Xu, H., D. Chizhik, H. Huang, and R. Valenzuela, "A generalized space-time multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) channel model," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 3, 966-975, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TWC.2004.827736
10. Weichselberger, W., M. Herdin, H. Ozcelik, and E. Bonek, "A stochastic MIMO channel model with joint correlation of both link ends," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 5, 90-100, Jan. 2006. doi:10.1109/TWC.2006.1576533
12. Medbo, J. and P. Schramm, "Channel models for hiperlan/2 in different indoor scenarios," BRAN 3ERJ085B, March 1998.
13. Steinbauer, M., et al., "The double-directional radio channel," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 43, 51-63, Aug. 2001. doi:10.1109/74.951559
14. Saleh, A. and R. Valenzuela, "A statistical model for indoor multipath propagation," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 5, 128-137, Feb. 1987. doi:10.1109/JSAC.1987.1146527
15. Spencer, Q. H., et al., "Modeling the statistical time and angle of arrival characteristics of an indoor multipath channel," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 18, 347-359, Mar. 2000. doi:10.1109/49.840194
16. Chong, C. C., et al., "A new statistical wideband spatio-temporal channel model for 5-GHz band WLAN systems," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 21, 139-150, Feb. 2003. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2002.807347
17. Zwick, T., C. Fischer, D. Didascalou, and W. Wiesbeck, "A stochastic spatial channel model based on wave-propagation modeling," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 18, 6-15, Jan. 2000. doi:10.1109/49.821698
18. Wallace, J. W., et al., "Modeling the indoor MIMO wireless channel," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation, Vol. 50, 591-599, May 2002. doi:10.1109/TAP.2002.1011224
19. Enayati, A. R., et al., "Reduced complexity maximum likelihood multiuser detection for OFDM-based IEEE 802.11a WLANs utilizing post-FFT mode," Proceedings of the IEEE PIMRC'06, Sept. 11 2006.