A set of beam shifter which can effectively control the propagation of the beam is proposed. The permittivity and permeability of the beam shifter can be obtained by applying forminvariant, spatial coordinate transformations to Maxwell's equations. We show that the beam is smoothly guided to avoid hitting some irremovable objects, which could be useful in the practical application. Besides, inspired by some phenomenon from the above application, an interesting utilization has been found that by placing a set of beam shifters, electromagnetic detectors can be misled and make mistakes about where the target is located, which is very useful in the antidetection. All our ideas are verified by numerical simulations with finite element method.
Meng Yu Wang,
Jing Jing Zhang,
Jin Au Kong,
"Design and Application of a Beam Shifter by Transformation Media," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 83, 147-155, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08040703
1. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780, 2006. doi:10.1126/science.1125907
2. Rahm, M., S. A. Cummer, D. Schurig, J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Optical design of reflectionless complex media by finite embedded coordinate transformations," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 63903, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.063903
3. Chen, H. and C. T. Chan, "Tansformation media that rotate electromagnetic fields," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 90, 241105, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2748302
4. Rahm, M., D. Schurig, D. A. Roberts, S. A. Cummer, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, Design of electromagnetic cloaks and concentrators using form-invariant coordinate transformations of Maxwell's equations, arXiv:0706.2452v1, 2007.
5. Schurig, D., J. B. Pendry, and D. R. Smith, "Calculation of material properties and ray tracing in transformation media," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, 9794, 2006. doi:10.1364/OE.14.009794
6. Chen, H., B.-I. Wu, B. Zhang, and J. A. Kong, "Electromagnetic wave interactions with a metamaterial cloak," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 99, 063903, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.99.063903
7. Cai, W., U. K. Chettiar, A. V. Kildishev, G. W. Milton, and V. M. Shalaev, "Nonmagnetic cloak with minimized scattering," Appl. Phys. Letts., Vol. 91, 111105, 2007. doi:10.1063/1.2783266
8. Cai, W., U. Chettiar, A. Kildshev, and V. Shalaev, "Optical cloaking with metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 224-227, 2007. doi:10.1038/nphoton.2007.28
9. Zhang, J. J., Y. Luo, S. Xi, H. S. Chen, L. X. Ran, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Directiv e emission obtained by coordinate transformation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 437-446, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08011002
10. Cummer, S. A., B.-I. Popa, D. Schurig, D. R. Smith, and J. B. Pendry, "Full-wave simulations of electromagnetic cloaking structures," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 74, 036621, 2006. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.74.036621
11. Zhang, B., H. Chen, B.-I. Wu, and J. A. Kong, "Extraordinary surface voltage effect in the invisibility cloak with an active device inside," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, 063904, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.100.063904
12. Luo, Y., J. Zhang, H. Chen, L. Ran, and J. A. Kong, "Design and analytical full-wave validation of the invisibility cloaks concentrators,and field rotators created with a general class of transformations," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 77, 125127, 2008. doi:10.1103/PhysRevB.77.125127
13. Sihvola, H., "Peculiarities in the dielectric response of negative-permittivity scatterers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 191-198, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112001
14. Park, T. J., H. J. Eom, Y. Yamaguchi, W.-M. Boerner, and S. Kozaki, "TE-plane wave scatteringfrom a dielectric-loaded semicircular trough in a conducting plane," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 2, 1993. doi:10.1163/156939393X00318
15. Gago-Ribas, E., M. J. Gonzalez-Morales, and C. Dehesa-Martinez, "Analytical parametrization of a 2D real propagation space in terms of complex electromagnetic beams," IEICE Trans. on Electronics, Vol. E80-C, No. 11, 1434-1439, 1997.
16. Davis, S. K., E. J. Bond, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer: Beamformer design in the frequency domain," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 2003. doi:10.1163/156939303322235860
17. Arnold, M. D., "An efficient solution for scattering by a perfectly conducting strip grating," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 7, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776149905
18. Lin, W. and Z. Yu, "Existence and uniqueness of the solutions in the SN, DN and CN waveguide theories," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777297
19. Uduwawala, D., "Modeling and investigation of planar parabolic dipoles for GPR applications: A comparison with bow-tie using FDTD," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777224
20. Nicolic, N., J. S. Kot, and S. Vinogradov, "Scattering by a Luneberg lens partially covered by a metallic cap," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 4, 2007.
21. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. Albagory, "Improving the cellular coverage from a high altitude platform by novel tapered beamforming technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 2007.
22. Heyman, E. and L. B. Felsen, "Gaussian beam and pulsed-beam dynamics: Complex-source and complex-spectrum formulations within and beyond paraxial asymptotics," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2001. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.18.001588
23. Chabory, A., J. Sokoloff, and S. Bolioli, "Novel gabor-based gaussian beam expansion for curved aperture radiation in dimension two," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 171-185, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090702