Two 60 GHz homodyne receivers dedicated for high-speed short-range communication systems are presented. The receivers are based on six-port and conventional (anti-parallel diodes) mixers, respectively. Comparative bit error rate results, function of local oscillator power, phase, and frequency shift over the operating bandwidth, are presented and discussed.
Nazih Khaddaj Mallat,
Serioja Ovidiu Tatu,
"Comparative Demodulation Results for Six-Port and Conventional 60 GHz
Direct Conversion Receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 84, 437-449, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081003
1. Fisher, R., "60 GHz WPAN standardization within IEEE 802.15.3c," 2007 International Symposium on Signals, 103-105, 2007.
2. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60 GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 01, 140-147, 2002. doi:10.1109/35.978061
3. Costanzo, S., I. Venneri, G. Di Massa, and G. Amendola, "Hybrid array antenna for broadband millimeter-wave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 173-183, 2008.
4. Shen, G.-F., X.-M. Zhang, H. Chi, and X.-F. Jin, "Microwave/millimeter-wave generation using multi-wavelength photonic crystal fiber brillouin laser," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 307-320, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07112202
5. Mead, J. B. and R. E. McIntosh, "Millimeter-wave polarimetric radars," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 03, 391-150, 1990.
6. Mizuno, M., C. Otani, K. Kawase, Y. Kurihara, K. Shindo, Y. Ogawa, and H. Matsuki, "Monitoring the frozen state of freezing media by using millimeter waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 341-349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701687
7. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07120604
8. Park, J. Y., S. S. Jeon, Y. Wang, and T. Itoh, "Integrated antenna with direct conversion circuitry for broad-band millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, 1482-1488, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.810128
9. Khaddaj Mallat, N. and S. O. Tatu, "Six-port receiver in millimeter-wave systems," 2007 IEEE International Conference on Systems, 2693-2697, 2007.
10. Tatu, S. O., E. Moldovan, K. Wu, R. G. Bosisio, and T. A. Denidni, "Ka-band analog front-end for software-defined direct conversion receiver," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 2768-2776, 2005. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.854181
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave and RF Design of Wireless Systems, Wiley, New York, NY, 2001.
12. Karsi, M. F. and W. C. Lindsey, "Effects of CW interference on phase-locked-loop performance," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 48, 886-896, 2000. doi:10.1109/26.843206
13. Shimozawa, M., K. Kawakami, K. Itoh, A. Iida, and O. Ishida, "A novel, sub-harmonic pumping direct conversion receiver with high instantaneous dynamic range," 1996 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 819-822, 1996.
14. Mass, S. A., Microwave Mixers, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1993.
15. Rohde, U. L. and D. P. Newkirk, RF/Microwave Circuit Design for Wireless Applications, Wiley, New York, NY, 2000.
16. Park, J. Y., S. S. Jeon, Y. Wang, and T. Itoh, "Millimeter wave direct quadrature converter integrated with antenna for broadband wireless communications," Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 1277-1280, 2002.
17. Cohn, M., J. E. Degenford, and B. A. Newman, "Harmonic mixing with an antiparallel diode pair," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, 667-673, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128646
18. Itoh, K., M. Shimozawa, K. Kawakami, A. Lids, and O. Ishida, "Even harmonic quadrature modulator with low vector modulation error and low distortion for microwave digital radio," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 2, 967-970, 1996.
19. Yamaji, T. and H. Tanimoto, "A 2 GHz balanced harmonic mixer for direct-conversion receivers," IEEE 1997 Custom Integrated Circuits Conference, 193-196, 1997.