A narrowband trisection substrate-integrated waveguide elliptic filter with coplanar waveguide (CPW) input and output ports is proposed and demonstrated for X-band applications. The filter is formed by incorporating metallized vias in a substrate (RT/Duroid) to create cross-coupled waveguide resonators. The result is an attenuation pole of finite frequency on the high side of the passband, therefore exhibiting asymmetric frequency response. The fabricated trisection filter with a centre frequency of 10.05 GHz exhibits an insertion loss of 3.16 dB for 3% bandwidth and a return loss of -20 dB. The rejection is larger than 15 dB at 10.37 GHz.
Mohammad Shahrazel Razalli,
Mohd Adzir Mahdi,
Raja Syamsul Azmir Raja Abdullah,
Nor Kamariah Noordin,
Mohd Fadlee A. Rasid,
"X-Band Trisection Substrate-Integrated Waveguide Quasi-Elliptic Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 85, 133-145, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081802
1. Herrick, K. J., T. A. Schwartz, and L. P. B. Katehi, "Simicromachined coplanar waveguides for use in high-frequency circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 6, 762-768, June 1998. doi:10.1109/22.681198
2. Park, J.-H., C.-W. Baek, S. Jung, et al. "Novel micromachined coplanar waveguide transmission lines for application in millimetre-wave circuits," Jpn., J. Apply. Phys, Vol. 39, Part 1, No. 12B, 7120-7124, December 2000. doi:10.1143/JJAP.39.7120
3. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated transition of coplanar to rectangular waveguides," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 2001.
4. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip cross-coupled trisection bandpass filters with asymmetric frequency characteristics," IEE-Proc. - Microwave Antennas Propagation, Vol. 146, No. 1, 84-90, February 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990146
5. Hong, J.-S. and M. J. Lancaster, "Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications," John Wiley and Sons Inc., 2001.
6. Hershtig, R., R. Levy, and K. Zaki, "Synthesis and design of cascaded trisection (CT) dielectric resonator filters," Proceedings of European Microwave Conference, 784-791, Jerusalem, September 1997.
7. CST Microwave Studio Version 5.3.
8. Jayyousi, A. B. and M. J. Lancaster, "A gradient-based optimization technique employing determinants for the synthesi of microwave coupled resonators ," IEEE MTT-S Digest, Vol. 2, 1369-1372, June 2004.
9. Zhao, L.-P., X. Zhai, B. Wu, T. Su, W. Xue, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode bandpass filter using rectangular structure," Progress In Electromegnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 131-141, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07121003
10. Ghorbaninejad, H. and M. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, "Compact bandpass filters utilizing dielectric filled waveguides," Progress In Electromegnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 105-115, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08031101
11. Zhang, J. and T. Y. Hsiang, "Dispersion characteristics of coplanar waveguides at subterahertz frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1411-1417, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276767
12. He, Z. N., X. L. Wang, S. H. Han, T. Lin, and Z. Liu, "The synthesis and design for new classic dual-band waveguide bandstop filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 22, No. 1, 119-130, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308783122689
13. Khalaj-Amirhosseini, M., "Microwave filters using waveguides filled by multilayer dielectric," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 105-110, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06102502
14. Sotoodeh, Z., B. Biglarbegian, F. H. Kashani, and H. Ameri, "A novel bandpass waveguide filter structure on SIW technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 141-148, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08010204
15. Che, Q.-Q., C.-X. Li, D.-P. Wang, L. Xu, and Y. L. Chow, "Investigation on the ohmic conductor losses in substrateintegrated waveguide and equivalent rectangular waveguide ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 21, No. 6, 769-780, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780749101
16. Zhang, J., J.-Z. Gu, B. Chiu, and X.-W. Su, "Compact and harmonic suppression open-loop resonator bandpass filter with tri-section SIR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 93-100, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120702
17. Mohammad Amjadi, S. and M. Soleimani, "Design of band-pass waveguide filter using frequency selective surfaces loaded with surface mount capacitors based on split-field update fdtd method ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 271-281, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07122402
18. Zhang, J., B. Cui, S. Lin, and X.-W. Sun, "Sharp-rejection lowpass filter with controllable transmission zero using complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 219-226, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06122103