This paper deals with the possibilities of cancellation of unwanted signals by steering nulls of the pattern in the direction of arrival of signal while keeping the main beam to the desired direction. New iterative adaptive digital beam forming technique is presented here to enhance the conventional effectiveness of beam forming in common commercial application. Simulation and measurement results confirm that this algorithm can achieve effective Co-Channel Interference (CCI) suppression, while increasing the strength of the desired signal.
K. H. Sadeghi,
"Co Channel Interference Cancellation by the Use of Iterative Digital Beam Forming Method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 87, 89-103, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08100403
1. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, X.-Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08062306
2. Gu, Y. J., Z. G. Shi, and K. S. Chen, "Robust adaptive beamforming for steering vector uncertainties based on equivalent DOAs method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 277-290, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07102202
3. Dessouky, M. I., H. A. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "A novel tapered beamforming window for uniform concentric circular arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2077-2089, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779322701
4. Zhang, X. and D. Xu, "Deterministic blind beamforming for electromagnetic vector sensor array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 363-377, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08080402
5. Jeong, Y.-S. and J.-H. Lee, "Estimation of time delay using conventional beamforming-based algorithm for UWB systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2413-2420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134281
6. Dessouky, M. I., H. A. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "Improving the cellular coverage from a high altitude platform by novel tapered beamforming technique," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 13, 1721-1731, 2007.
7. Babayigit, B., A. Akdagli, and K. Guney, "A clonal selection algorithm for null synthesizing of linear antenna arrays by amplitude control," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 8, 1007-1020, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306776930222
8. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel Ku band fan beam reflector back array antenna," PIER Letters, Vol. 3, 95-103, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL08021503
9. Singh, A. K., P. Kumar, T. Chakravarty, G. Singh, and S. Bhooshan, "A novel digital beamformer with low angle resolution for vehicle tracking radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 229-237, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06112102
10. Abdelaziz, A. A., "Improving the performance of an antenna array by using radar absorbing cover," PIER Letters, Vol. 1, 129-138, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07112503
11. Capineri, L., "Estimation of relative permittivity of shallow soils by using the ground penetrating radar response from different buried targets," PIER Letters, Vol. 2, 63-71, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERL07122803
12. Fakoukakis, F. E., et al. "Development of an adaptive and a switched beam smart antenna system for wireless communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 3, 399-408, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775701722
13. Varlamos, P. K. and C. N. Capsalis, "Electronic beam steering using switched parasitic smart antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 101-119, 2002. doi:10.2528/PIER01100302
14. Mouhamadou, M. and P. Vaudon, "Smart antenna array patterns synthesis: Null steering and multi-user beamforming by phase control," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 60, 95-106, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05112801
15. Pedersen, K. I., P. E. Mogensen, and B. H. Fleury, "A stochastic model of the temporal and azimuthal dispersion seen at the base station in outdoor propagation environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 49, No. 2, 437-447, 2000. doi:10.1109/25.832975
16. Vorobyov, S. A., A. B. Gershman, and Z. Q. Luo, "Robust adaptive beamforming using worst-case performance optimization: A solution to the signal mismatch problem," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 2, 313-324, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2002.806865
17. Li, J., P. Stoica, and Z. Wang, "On robust capon beamforming and diagonal loading," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1702-1715, 2003. doi:10.1109/TSP.2003.812831
18. Lorenz, R. G. and S. P. Boyd, "Robust minimum variance beamforming," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1684-1696, 2005. doi:10.1109/TSP.2005.845436
19. Besson, O., A. A. Monakov, and C. Chalus, "Signal waveform estimation in the presence of uncertainties about the steering vector," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2432-2440, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.831917
20. Godara, L. C., Smart Antennas, CRC Press, 2004.
21. Assumpcao, D. and G. E. Mountford, "An overview of signal processing for arrays of receivers," J. Inst. Eng. Aust. IREE, 1984.
22. Choi, S., T. K. Sarkar, and S. S. Lee, "Design of two-dimensional Tseng window and its application to antenna array for the detection of AM signal in the presence of strong jammers in mobile communications," IEEE Signal Process., Vol. 34, 297-310, 1993.
23. Chiba, I., T. Takahashi, and Y. Karasawa, "Transmitting null beamforming with beam space adaptive array antennas," Proceedings of IEEE 44th Vehicular Technology Conference, 1498-1502, 1994.
24. Stuckman, B. E. and J. C. Hill, "Method of null steering in phased array antenna systems," Electronic Letters, Vol. 26, No. 15, July 1990. doi:10.1049/el:19900786
26. Reed, I. S., J. D. Mallett, and L. E. Brennan, "Rapid convergence rate in adaptive arrays," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., Vol. 10, 853-863, 1974. doi:10.1109/TAES.1974.307893
27. Bresler, Y., V. U. Reddy, and T. Kailath, "Optimum beamforming for coherent signal and interferences," IEEE Trans. Acoust. Speech Signal Process., Vol. 36, 833-843, 1988. doi:10.1109/29.1594
28. Bertland, J. and P. Forster, "Optimal weigths computation of an emitting antenna array --- The Obele algorithm," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 51, No. 7, July 2003.
29. Patel, P. and J. Holtzman, "Analysis of a simple successive interference cancellation scheme in a DS/CDMA system," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 12, No. 5, 796-807, June 1994. doi:10.1109/49.298053
30. Kaul, A. and B. Woerner, "Analytic limits on the performance of adaptive multistage interference cancellation," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, 2093-2094, Dec. 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19941433
31. Varanasi, M. K. and B. Aazhang, "Near optimum detection in synchronous code-division multiple-access systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 39, No. 5, 725-736, May 1991. doi:10.1109/26.87163
32. Rasmussen, L. K., Y. Ma, D. Guo, and T. J. Lim, "Aspects on linear parallel interference cancellation in CDMA," IEEE Int. Symp. Inform. Theory, 37, Aug. 1998.
33. Grant, A. and C. Schlegel, "Iterative implementation for linear multiuser detectors,", 1999.
34. Marvasti, F., "An iterative method to compensate for the interpolation distortion," IEEE Trans. ASSP, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1617-1621, 1989.
35. Marvasti, F., Nonuniform Sampling: Theory and Practice, Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, 2001.
36. Marvasti, F., M. Analoui, and M. Gamshadzahi, "Recovery of signals from nonuniform samples using iterative methods," IEEE Trans. ASSP, Vol. 39, No. 4, 872-878, Apr. 1991. doi:10.1109/78.80909