The ambiguity function of a kind of chaotic signal radar using Colpitts oscillator is investigated and compared in several aspects. The Colpitts oscillator with specific value of capacitance, inductance and resistance can generate chaotic signal with frequency band from direct current to several gigahertz. The chaotic signal is obtained from simulation and experiment. The auto-ambiguity functions of the chaotic signal show that the chaotic signal of such oscillator is ideal for radar application with both high range and range rate resolution. The cross-ambiguity function also indicates the chaotic signal has excellent capabilities in the electronic countercountermeasures (ECCM).We also present the resolution of range with the spectrum from experiment.
1. Liu , G. S., H. Gu, and W. M. Su, "The development of random signal radars," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 35, No. 3, 770-777, 1999. doi:10.1109/7.784050
2. Narayanan, R. M., Y. Xu, P. D. Hoffmeyer, and J. O. Curtis, "Design, performance, and applications of a coherent ultrawideband random noise radar," Opt. Eng., Vol. 37, No. 6, 1855-1869, Jun. 1998. doi:10.1117/1.601699
3. Liu, G. S., H. Gu, W. M. Su, H. B. Sun, and J. H. Zhang, "Random signal radar — A winner in both the military and civilian operating environments," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 39, 489-498, Apr. 2003.
4. Bucolo, M., R. Caponetto, L. Fortuna, M. Frasca, and A. Rizzo, "Does chaos work better than noise?," IEEE Circuits Syst. Mag., Vol. 2, 4-19, Third Quarter, 2002. doi:10.1109/MCAS.2002.1167624
5. Li, G. H., "Chaos and synchronization of Colpitts oscillators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters 2003, Vol. 39, No. 6, 446-449, 2003. doi:10.1002/mop.11244
6. Shen, Y., W. H. Shang, and G. S. Liu, "Ambiguity function of chaotic phase modulated radar signals," Proceedings of ICSP, 1574-1577, 1998.
7. Sobhy, M. I. and A. R. Shehata, "Chaotic radar systems," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1701-1704, 2000.
8. Machowksi, W. and P. Ratliff, "Performance indications of a novel chaotic-signal FM-CW radar for multi-user applications ," Proc. Radar Conf., 474-477, Edinburgh, U.K., Oct. 2002.
9. Venkatasubramanian, V. and H. Leung, "A robust chaos radar for collision detection and vehicular ranging in intelligent transportation systems," IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference, 548-552, 2004.
10. Flores, B. C., E. A. Solis, and G. Thomas, "Assessment of chaos based FM signals for range-Dopper imaging," IEEE Proc. - Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 150, No. 4, 313-322, 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20030728
11. Tamasevicius, A., G. Mykolaitis, S. Bumeliene, A. Baziliauskas, R. Krivickas, and E. Lindberg, "Chaotic Colpitts oscillator for the ultrahigh frequency range," Nonlinear Dynamics, Vol. 44, No. 1–4, 159-165, 2006. doi:10.1007/s11071-006-1961-1
12. Mykolaitis, G., A. Tamasevicius, and S. Bumeliene, "Experimental demonstration of chaos from Colpitts oscillator in VHF and UHF ranges," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 2, 91-92, 2004. doi:10.1049/el:20040074
13. Shi, Z. G. and L. X. Ran, "Microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator: design, implementation and applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1335-1349, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779276802
14. Shi, Z. G., Y. Zhang, H. W. Liu, and L. X. Ran, "Randomness test of signal generated by microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1981-1984, 2007. doi:10.1002/mop.22565
15. Hara, Y., et al., "Development of a chaotic signal radar system for vehicular collision-avoidance," Proceeding of IEEE Radar Conference, 227-232, 2002.
16. Lin, F. Y. and J. M. Liu, "Chaotic radar using nonlinear laser dynamics," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 40, No. 6, 815-820, 2004. doi:10.1109/JQE.2004.828237
17. Lin, F. Y. and J. M. Liu, "Ambiguity functions of laser-based chaotic radar," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 40, No. 12, 1732-1738, 2004. doi:10.1109/JQE.2004.836811
18. Dawood, M. and R. M. Narayanan, "Generalized wideband ambiguity function of a coherent ultrawideband random noise radar," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 150, No. 5, 379-386, 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-rsn:20030702
19. Hu, W., "Calculation on acceleration ambiguous functions of chaotic signals ," Proceedings of CFCA, 2007.
20. Maggio, G. M., O. D. Feo, and M. P. Kennedy, "Nonlinear analysis of the Colpitts oscillator and applications to design," IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. I, Vol. 46, No. 9, 1118-1130, 1999. doi:10.1109/81.788813
21. Shi, Z. G., et al., "Ambiguity functions of direct chaotic radar employing microwave chaotic Colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, PIER 77, 1-14, 2007.
22. Qiao, S., et al., "A new architecture of UWB radar utilizing microwave chaotic signals and chaos synchronization," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, PIER 75, 225-237, 2007.
23. Shim, E. S. and Y. H. You, "Frequency ambiguity resolution for multiband UWB systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, 1411-1419, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786348839