Electrical capacitance tomography (ECT) is a relatively mature non-invasive imaging technique that attempts to map dielectric permittivity of materials. ECT has become a promising monitoring technique in industrial process tomography especially in fast flow visualization. One of the most challenging tasks in further development of ECT for real applications are the computational aspects of the ECT imaging. Recently 3D ECT has gained interest because of its potential to generate volumetric images. Computational time of image reconstruction in 3D ECT makes it more difficult for real time applications. In this paper we present a robust and computationally efficient 4D image reconstruction algorithm applied to real ECT data. The method takes advantage of temporal correlation between 3D ECT frames to reconstruct movies 4D of dielectric maps, which enhance the noise performance of and its computational efficiency, improves the speed of ECT image reconstruction. The 4D image reconstruction results are presented for experimental data from fast moving object.
1. Adler, A., T. Dai, and W. R. B. Lionheart, "Temporal image reconstruction in electrical impedance tomography," Physiol. Meas., Vol. 28, S1-S11, 2007. doi:10.1088/0967-3334/28/7/S01
. Chen, G. P., W. B. Yu, Z. Q. Zhao, Z. P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "The prototype of microwave-induced thermo-acoustic tomography imaging by time reversal mirror," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 11-12, 1565-1574, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786390021
3. Cheng, X. X., B. I. Wu, H. Chen, and J. A. Kong, "Imaging of objects through lossy layer with defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 84, 11-26, 2008.
4. Li, Y. and W. Q. Yang, "Image reconstruction by nonlinear Landweber iteration for complicated distributions," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 19, 094014(8pp), 2008.
5. Huang, C. H., Y. F. Chen, and C. C. Chiu, "Permittivity distribution reconstruction of dielectric objects by a cascaded method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 145-159, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779378790
6. Franceschini, G., M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, M. Benedetti, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Microwave imaging from amplitude-only data-advantages and open problems of a two-step multi-resolution strategy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, 397-412, 2008.
7. Marashdeh, Q., W. Warsito, L. S. Fan, and F. L. Teixeira, "A nonlinear image reconstruction technique for ECT using a combined neural network approach," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 17, No. 8, 2097-2103, 2006. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/17/8/007
8. Nurge, M. A., "Electrical capacitance volume tomography with high contrast dielectrics using a cuboid sensor geometry," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 18, No. 5, 1511-1520, 2007. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/18/5/042
9. Olszewski, T., P. Brzeski, J. Mirkowski, A. Pl»askowski, W. Smolik, and R. Szabatin, "Modular capacitance tomograph," Proc. 4th International Symposium on Process Tomography in Warsaw, 2006.
10. Romanowski, A., , K. Grudzien, R. Banasiak, R. A. Williams, and D. Sankowski, "Hopper flow measurement data visualization: Developments towards 3D," Proc. 5th World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography, Bergen, Norway, 2006.
11., Seppanen, A., M. Vauhkonen, P. Vauhkonen, E. Somersalo, and J. P. Kaipio, "Fluid dynamical models and state estimation in process tomography: Effect due to inaccuracies in flow fields," Journal of Electronic Imaging, Vol. 10, No. 3, 630-640, 2001. doi:10.1117/1.1379976
12. Schmitt, U. and A. K. Louis, "Efficient algorithms for the regularization of dynamic inverse problems --- Part I: Theory," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, 645-658, 2002. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/18/3/308
13. Schmitt, U., A. K. Louis, C. H. Wolters, and M. Vauhkonen, "Efficient algorithms for the regularization of dynamic inverse problems: II. Applications," Inverse Problems, Vol. 18, No. 1, 659-676, 2002. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/18/3/309
14. Serdyuk, V. M., "Dielectric study of bound water in grain at radio and microwave frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 379-406, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08081103
16. Soleimani, M., M. Vauhkonen, W. Q. Yang, A. J. Peyton, B. S. Kim, and X. Ma, "Dynamic imaging in electrical capacitance tomography and electromagnetic induction tomography using a Kalman filter," Meas. Sci. Tech., Vol. 18, No. 11, 3287-3294, 2007. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/18/11/004
17. Soleimani, M., H. Wang, Y. Li, and W. Yang, "A comparative study of three dimensional electrical capacitance tomography," International Journal for Information Systems Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 2, 283-291, 2007.
18. Wajman, R., R. Banasiak, L. Mazurkiewicz, D. Dyakowski, and D. Sankowski, "Spatial imaging with 3D capacitance measurements," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 17, No. 8, 2113-2118, 2006. doi:10.1088/0957-0233/17/8/009
19. Warsito, W., Q. Marashdeh, and L. S. Fan, "Electrical capacitance volume tomography," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 7, No. 3-4, 525-535, 2007. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2007.891952
20. Warsito, W. and L.-S. Fan, "Development of 3-dimensional electrical capacitance tomography based on neural network multi-criterion optimization image reconstruction," Proc. 3rd World Congress on Industrial Process Tomography (Banff), 942-947, 2003.
21. Warsito, W. and L. S. Fang, "Imaging the bubble behavior using the 3-D electric capacitance tomograph," Chem. Eng. Sci., Vol. 60, No. 22, 6073-6084, 2005. doi:10.1016/j.ces.2005.01.033
22. Yang, W. Q., "Key issues in designing capacitance tomography sensors," IEEE Conference on Sensors, 497-505, Daegu, Korea, October 22-25, 2006.
23. Yang, W. Q. and G. L. Pen, "Review of image reconstruction algo-rithms for electrical capacitance tomography, Part 1: Principles," Proc. International Symposium on Process Tomography in Poland (Wroclaw), 123-132, 2002.
24. Zacharopoulos, A. and S. Arridge, "3D shape reconstruction in optical tomography using spherical harmonics and BEM," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1827-1836, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306779292165
25. Zhong, X. M., C. Liao, W. Chen, Z. B. Yang, Y. Liao, and F. B. Meng, "Image reconstruction of arbitrary cross section conducting cylinder using UWB pulse," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 1, 25-34, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307779391786