Abstract---In this paper we propose a circularly polarized (CP) microstrip antenna on a suspended substrate with a coplanar capacitive feed and a slot within the rectangular patch. The antenna has an axial ratio bandwidth (< 3 dB) of 7.1%. The proposed antenna exhibits a much higher impedance bandwidth of about 49% (S11 < -10 dB) and also yields return loss better than -15 dB in the useful range of circular polarization. Measured characteristics of the antenna are in good agreement with the simulated results. The radiation patterns indicate good cross polarization rejection and low back lobe radiations. The design proposed here can be scaled to any frequency of interest.
1. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 2004.
2. Yang, S. L. S., K. F. Lee, and A. A. Kishk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," PIERS Online, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
3. Chen, W. S., C. K. Wu, and K. L. Wan, "Novel compact circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 3, 340-342, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.918606
4. Esselle, N. K. and A. K. Verma, "Optimization of stacked microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007.
5. Lien, H. C., Y. C. Lee, and H. C. Tsai, "Couple-fed circular polarization bow tie microstrip antenna," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 2, 220-224, 2007. doi:10.2529/PIERS060907020448
6. Liu, W. C. and P. C. Kao, "Design of a probe fed H-shaped microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 6, 857-864, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307780748986
7. Kasabegoudar, V. G., D. S. Upadhyay, and K. J. Vinoy, "Design studies of ultra wideband microstrip antennas with a small capacitive feed," Int. J. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 2007, No. Q4, 1-8, 2007. doi:10.1155/2007/67503
8. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A wideband microstrip antenna with symmetric radiation patterns," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1991-1995, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23575
9. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, and V. K. Varadan, "On the relationship between fractal dimension and performance of multi-resonant dipole antennas using Koch curves," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2296-2303, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816352
10. Azari, A. and J. Rowhani, "Ultra wideband fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
11. Kordzadeh, A. and F. H. Kashani, "A new reduced size microstrip patch antenna with fractal shaped defects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 11, 29-37, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08100501
12. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Hilbert curve fractal antenna: A small resonant antenna for VHF/UHF applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 4, 215-219, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1136
13. Su, W., J. S. Row, and J. F. Wu, "Design of a single feed dual frequency microstrip antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 2, 114-116, 2005. doi:10.1002/mop.21096
14. Rao, P. N. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "A single feed circularly polarized fractal shaped microstrip antenna with fractal slot," progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, 95-197, Hangzhou, China, Mar. 24-28, 2008.
15. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, , Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
16. Schellenberg, J. M., "CAD models for suspended and inverted microstrip," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theo. Tech., Vol. 43, No. 6, 1247-1252, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.390179
17. Eldesouki, E. M. A., K. F. A. Hussein, and A. A. El-Nadi, "Circularly polarized arrays of cavity backed slot antennas for X-band satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 179-198, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08080302