This work presents a new indoor localization method based on the fingerprinting technique. The proposed method uses a ray-tracing model that provides information about multipath effects. This information is stored in a dataset during the first stage of the fingerprinting method. The direction of arrival (DOA) and received signal strength (RSS) are used in the fingerprinting technique as a hybrid system. The localization estimation is calculated while taking into account the Euclidian distance between the DOA and the RSS from each unknown position and the information of the fingerprints. Numerical calculations were performed to show the mean and the standard deviation of the estimated error.
Abdelhamid TayebiJosefa Gómez PerezFrancisco Manuel Adana HerreroOscar Gutierrez Blanco
, "The Application of Ray-Tracing to Mobile Localization Using the Direction of Arrival and Received Signal Strength in Multipath Indoor Environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,
Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09020301 http://www.jpier.org/PIER/pier.php?paper=09020301
1. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Non line of sight localization in multipath environment," IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, Vol. 7, No. 5, 647-660, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMC.2007.70780
2. Cong, L. and W. H. Zhuang, "Nonline-of-sight error mitigation in mobile location," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, 560-572, 2005. doi:10.1109/TWC.2004.843040
3. Fang, S. H., T. N. Lin, and K. C. Lee, "A novel algorithm for multipath fingerprinting in indoor WLAN environments," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 7, No. 9, September 2008.
4. Seow, C. K. and S. Y. Tan, "Localization of omni-directional mobile device in multipath environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 85, 323-348, 2008.
5. Chueng, K. W., H. C. So, W.-K. Ma, and Y. T. Chan, "Least square algorithms for time-of-arrival based mobile location," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 52, 1121-1128, 2004. doi:10.1109/TSP.2004.823465
6. Wang, X., Z. X. Wang, and B. O. Dea, "A TOA-based location algorithm reducing the errors due to Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) propagation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 52, 112-116, 2003. doi:10.1109/TVT.2002.807158
7. Chan, Y. T., W. Y. Tsui, H. C. So, and P. C. Ching, "Time-ofarrival based localization under NLOS conditions," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 55, 17-24, 2006. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.861207
8. Bocquet, M., C. Loyez, and A. Benlarbi-Dela, "Using enhancedtdoa measurement for indoor positioning," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letter, Vol. 15, No. 10, October 2005.
9. Spencer, Q., M. Rice, B. Jeffs, and M. Jensen, "A statistical model for angle of arrival in indoor multipath propagation," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 3, 1415-1419, 1997.
10. Landesa, L., I. T. Castro, J. M. Taboada, and F. Obelleiro, "Bias of the maximum likelihood DOA estimation from inaccurate knowledge of the antenna array response," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1205-1217, 2007.
11. Harabi, F., H. Changuel, and A. Gharsallah, "Direction of arrival estimation method using a 2-L shape arrays antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, 145-160, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06120204
12. Roos, T., P. Myllymaki, H. Tirri, P. Misikangas, and J. Sievanen, "A probabilistic approach to WLAN user location estimation," International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, Vol. 9, No. 3, 155-164, 2002. doi:10.1023/A:1016003126882
13. Martinez, D., F. Las-Heras, and R. G. Ayestaran, "Fast methods for evaluating the electric field level in 2D-indoor environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 69, 247-255, 2007.
14. Cong, L. and W. H. Zhuang, "Hybrid TDOA/AOA mobile users location for wideband CDMA cellular system," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 1, 439-447, 2002. doi:10.1109/TWC.2002.800542
15. Jeong, Y. S. and J. H. Lee, "Estimation of time delay using conventional beamforming-based algorithm for UWB systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 15, 2413-2420, 2007. doi:10.1163/156939307783134281
16. Liu, H., H. Darabi, P. Banerjee, and J. Liu, "Survey of wireless indoor positioning techniques and systems," IEEE Transactions on systems, Man, and Cybernetics — Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol. 37, No. 6, November 2007.
17. Yarkoni, N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 59, 151-174, 2006.
18. Thomas, N. J., D. G. M. Cruickshank, and D. I. Laurenson, "Calculation of mobile location using scatterer information," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 19, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010796
19. Coco, S., A. Laudani, and L. Mazzurco, "A novel 2-D ray tracing procedure for the localization of EM field sources in urban environment ," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 40, No. 2, 2004. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2004.824732
20. Kikuchi, S., A. Sano, and H. Tsuji, "Blind mobile positing in urban environment based on ray-tracing analysis," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, 1-12, 2006. doi:10.1155/ASP/2006/38989
21. Alvar, N. S., A. Ghorbani, and H. Amindavar, "A novel hybrid approach to ray-tracing acceleration based on pre-processing and bounding volumes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 82, 19-32, 2008.
22. Cocheril, Y. and R. Vauzelle, "A new ray-tracing based wave propagation model including rough surfaces scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 75, 357-381, 2007.
23. Teh, C. H., F. Kung, and H. T. Chuah, "A path-corrected wall model for ray-tracing propagation modeling," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 2, 207-214, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777288
24. Jin, K. S., "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777341
25. Catedra, M. F. and J. Perez-Arriaga, Cell Planning for Wireless Communications, Artech House Publishers, Boston, 1999.
26. Saez de Adana, F., O. Gutierrez, I. Gonzalez, J. Perez, and M. F. Catedra, "Propagation model based on ray-tracing for the design of personal communication systems in indoor environments," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 49, No. 6, 2000. doi:10.1109/25.901882