This paper presents an approach of a shaped reflector antenna synthesis using a steepest decent method (SDM). It first discretizes the reflector surface into small patches and then uses grid nodes as variables in the synthesis procedure. Even though the number of variables can be very large for a large reflector antenna, the advantage of providing closed-form solutions for the derivatives of a cost function potentially makes this approach very efficient. The large number of variables also assists this procedure to reach a more global optimum as usually met in ordinary SDM. Numerical examples are presented to validate this approach.
1. Rudge, A. W., K. Milne, A. D. Olver, and P. Knight, The Handbook of Antenna Design, Vol. 1, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1982.
2. Rusch, W. V. T., "The current state of the reflector antenna art," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 32, 313-329, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143333
3. Cherrette, A. R., S. W. Lee, and R. J. Acosta, "A method for producing a shaped contour radiation pattern using a single reflector and a single feed," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 37, No. 6, 698-702, Jun. 1989. doi:10.1109/8.29356
4. Chou, H. T., P. H. Pathak, and R. J. Burkholder, "Novel Gaussian beam method for the rapid analysis of large reflector antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, 880-893, Jun. 2001. doi:10.1109/8.931145
5. Chou, H. T. and P. H. Pathak, "Fast gaussian beam based synthesis of shaped reflector antennas for contoured beam applications," IET Proceeding-Microwave, Antenna and Propagations, Vol. 151, No. 1, 13-20, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20040250
6. Theunissen, W., "Reconfigurable contoured beam synthesis using a mechanical fem surface description of dual offset reflector antenna surfaces,", Ph.D. dissertation, University of Pretoria, South Africa, 1999.
7. Duan, D. and Y. R.-Samii, "A generalized diffraction synthesis technique for high performance reflector antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, 27-40, Jan. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.366348
8. Westcott, B. S. and A. A. Zaporozhets, "Single reflector synthesis using an analytical gradient approach," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 18, 1462-1463, Sep. 1, 1994. doi:10.1049/el:19941049
9. Westcott, B. S. and A. A. Zaporozhets, "Dual-reflector synthesis based on analytical gradient-iteration procedures," IET Proceeding-Microwave, Antenna and Propagations, Vol. 142, No. 2, 129-135, Apr. 1995. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19951779
10. Poulton, G. T. and S. G. Hay, "Efficient design of shaped reflectors using successive projections," Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, 2156-2158, 1991. doi:10.1049/el:19911335
11. Hay, S. G., "Dual-shaped-reflector directivity pattern synthesis using the successive projections method," IET Proceeding-Microwave, Antenna and Propagations, Vol. 146, No. 2, 119-124, Apr. 1999. doi:10.1049/ip-map:19990560
12. Stirland, S. J., "Fast synthesis of shaped reflector antennas for contoured beams," Proceedings of the ICAP 1993, 18-21, Edinburgh, UK, 1993.
13. Bucci, O. M., A. Capozzoli, and G. D'Elia, "An effective power synthesis technique for shaped, double-reflector multifeed antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 39, 93-123, 2003.
14. Pathak, P. H., "Techniques for high-frequency problems," Antenna Handbook --- Theory, Application and Design, (by Y. T. Lo and S. W. Lee), Chapter 4, Van Nostrand Reinhold Company, New York, 1998.
15. Chou, H. T. and P. H. Pathak, "Uniform asymptotic solution for the em reflection and diffraction of an arbitrary gaussian beam by a smooth surface with an edge," Radio Science, 1319-1336, Jul.-Aug., 1997.
16. Agastra, E., G. Bellaveglia, L. Lucci, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, G. Ruggerini, and S. Selleri, "Genetic algorithm optimization of high-efficiency wide-band multimodal square horns for discrete lenses," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 83, 335-352, 2008.
17. Poulton, G. T., "Power pattern synthesis using the method of successive projections," IEEE Antenna and Porpagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 667-670, 1986.
18. Mikki, S. M. and A. A. Kishk, "Physical theory for particle swarm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 75, 171-207, 2007.
19. Pereira, L. and F. Hasselmann, "Approximation of shaped reflector surfaces by pseudo-splines," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 22, 327-329, Jun. 1984.
20. Teixeira, F. L., J. R. Bergmann, and C. Rego, "A comparison between techniques for global surface interpolation in shaped reflector analysis," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propagat., Vol. 42, No. 1, 47-53, Jan. 1994. doi:10.1109/8.272300