The method of least squares (MLS) is used to develop an algorithm for the optimum design of any type of filter under any design specifications for the realization of lowpass, bandpass, highpass and bandstop characteristics. The proposed filter design method can be used for any general filter network topology, which provides high flexibility for the selection of circuit configurations suitable for any desired application. The MLS filter design procedure also incorporates source and load impedance matching, which eventually leads to the simplicity of circuits. The proposed method of filter design may be used for lowpass prototype filters or directly for bandpass, highpass or bandpass filters. Several examples of MLS filter designs are given, which compare very well with the classical methods and indicate the advantages of the proposed method of filter design. The MLS filter design may realize any frequency response characteristics, such as spurious response elimination, multiband filter realization and enhancement of some desired behaviors.
1. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filter for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471221619
2. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2004.
3. Mattaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, "Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures," Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
4. Ha, T. T., Solid-state Microwave Amplifier Design, Wiley, New York, MA, 1981.
5. Haykin, S. and B. Widrow, Least-mean-square Adaptive Filters, Wiley, New York, MA, 1981.
6. Lin, X. Q., Q. Cheng, R. P. Liu, D. Bao, and T. J. Cui, "Compact resonator ¯lters and power dividers designed with simplified meta-structures ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 12, 1663-1672, 2007.
7. Mohra, A. S. S., "Compact lowpass filter with sharp transition band based on defected ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 8, 83-92, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09041406
8. Chen, M., Y.-C. Lin, and M.-H. Ho, "Quasi-lumped design of bandpass filter using combined CPW and microstrip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 59-66, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09042201
9. Wu, M. S., Y. Z. Chueh, J. C. Yeh, and S. G. Mao, "Synthesis of triple-band and quad-band bandpass filters using lumped-element coplanar waveguide resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 433-451, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB09021302
10. Oraizi, H. and M. S. Esfahlan, "Optimum design of low pass ¯lters for general LC network configurations by the method of least squares," PIERS Proceedings, 1690-1693, Moscow, Russia, August 18-21, 2009.
11. Frickey, D. A., "Conversion between S, Z, Y, h, ABCD, and T parameters which are valid for complex source and load impedances," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 42, 205211, 1994.